Skip to main content

Apparent Bug in MVP add in tool Explorer++

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 53

So...some background to explain this "bug".  I've been using True Image sone 2007, have something like 30+ registered copies.  For reasons explained below, I've settled on V2017-8058. (have approx 7 lic for this version.  I have multiple PCs, all on Win 10...some 32 bit, some 64 bit, some older still mbr, others uefi.  Processor goi back as far as Intel 3570K up to Gen10. I only make IMAGE backups.

My backup strategy uses external USB drives (usb3) either 2,4,or 6TB.  I rotate these and each drive contains backups from multiple PCs.  I'm of the opinion to keep things simple and the "Acronis knows best" Windows based aplication and  it's "database" of backup structures simply "gets in my way, making simple backs trouble-prone..IMHO.

Therefore, I was very happy to have the MVP 18.6, WINPE bootable usb solution.  Others may not agree, but I USE THE BOOTABLE MVP USB (either the 32 bit or 64 bit variant based on the PC being backed up) for BOTH IMAGE BACKUPs and IMAGE RESTORES...Even though the True Image Win App is installed, I rarely use it, except for perhaps "mounting an image to recover a single files etc.).

Testing versions 2018-2021 (which I understand "might" more closely VERIFY a backup) the backup time, for the same system benchmarks at near 35-50 slower.

So, I've stayed with MVP based on 2017-8058.  Now for the "bug"?

Explorer++ is a bundled addin to the MVP "recovery" environment.  The issue..not easy to stumble upon...is that, running in the WINPE environment, if any file, (residing on the external USB drive (NTFS format) is "deleted" using Explorer++, the file IS "deleted", or better to say it's directory-entry IS (as viewed with WINPE (later if the USb drive is connected under the normal windows environment....THIS ISSUE RESULTS:

THE ACTUAL DISK SPACE ON THE EXTERNAL USB DRIVE IS *NOT* RELEASED, aka RETURNED to the free-space-pool under EITHER WINPE nor WINDOWS!

It;s also NOT possible to "fix" this under Windows..or I haven't been able.  My only solution has been to COPY (uses Windows) the still visible files to another drive, the FORMAT the USB based HDD, and then copy them back.  Then the correct free space is reported.

Comments Please

BOB

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28196

Bob, it may be worth trying the later version of the MVP Custom PE builder tool which can be found at http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MVP_ATIPEBuilder/Advanced/MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v190.zip

V190 is likely to be the final version produced by Mustang due to changes introduced by Acronis in migrating from True Image to the new Cyber Protect Home Office application.

(Keep an eye on the MVP Assistant tool which is being developed by BrunoC to include some additional features!).

Forum Star
Comments: 2000

I don't think you've found a bug. I think the "deleted" files in WinPE are being moved to the Recycle Bin. Do the experiment again and this time when you get back to Windows try emptying the Recycle Bin. That should reclaim the free space. You should also be able to delete the files from the Recycle Bin in WinPE using Explorer++.

Legend

Mustang wrote:

I don't think you've found a bug. I think the "deleted" files in WinPE are being moved to the Recycle Bin. Do the experiment again and this time when you get back to Windows try emptying the Recycle Bin. That should reclaim the free space. You should also be able to delete the files from the Recycle Bin in WinPE using Explorer++.

Very good point Paul!  I forgot about the recycle bin in the PE media!  If I remember correctly, there are several delete options, one being to delete permanently (which I normally use)!

Forum Member

Thanks guys....

I'll checkout the recycle situation....and then provide feedback.

Thge

Forum Member

STEVE:

Having checked out the Explorer++ file deletion/space recovery issue and the forum's suggestion the member comments are mainly correct.

In my usage, the external USB 4 or 6 TB drive is principally ONLY connected during times when my PC is running under WINPE,  If during times when the drive is connected, operating under WINPE, it has happened that over a period of weeks, I deleted numerous large files, which seemed not to return the used space to free space.

I ended up, however, with a number of oddly named folders on the USB ext drive with "S.xxx.xx names, whose properties showed a very minimal size..yet my ext USB backup drive appeared to be "missing" more than 1.5 TB!

1, Yes, it was possible to now find that Explorer++ has an option to "empty" or similar name, fully delete the space.

Having now downloaded the User manual, it seems that Explorer++ handles file deletion on USB devices differently depending upon how device properties are assigned (see Explorer++ manual.

2. Emptying the Recycled Bin from within the full win 10 OS, Not straightforward..

Overall, now that I am aware of what the members described things are resolved. 

** Can you advise or point me to a list of what was updated to v1.9?

** How can I moniter

** Keep an eye on the MVP Assistant tool which is being developed by BrunoC to include some additional features!).

Is there an external link for Bruno or can progress/updates be monitored in an Acronis hosted forum?

Legend

Bob, we would need Mustang (Paul) to tell us of what exactly he changed in producing the latest 190 version of the MVP tool - one area I know it fixes is unlocking BitLocker in the PE environment which Acronis wasn't seeing correctly with 186.

For Bruno's tool, see forum topic: MVP Assistant update for Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office (Version 1.1.6.0) and topic: MVP Assistant - a new tool, including new Log Viewer (Latest version 1.1.6.0, 12/05/2021)

Bruno will post about his further development of the tool via the above topics when he is happy with the testing being done among the MVP community.