Skip to main content

Are my restore choices correct?

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 160

As I had a blue screen after a restore I wonder if an expert could advise me if my choices are correct.

64bit and True Image restore I think have the same choices:

"Items to recover'

NTFS Boot disc 476GB

MBR and Track 0

NTFS (System Reserved) 500MB

Recovery Partition 450mb

Recover Disc Signature.

My 'C' drive is an NTFS SSD and I choose all the above to restore. I do not understand why I have a

NTFS (System Reserved) 500MB (Which displays in my file manager a the ''G') drive AND a Recovery Partition 450mb.

Thanks in advance for your time.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8346

I posted in your other thread.  I don't think your BSOD is related if it alread booted into the OS and you got a BSOD while running Windows updates.  I would bet that it was someting from the updates that caused the BSOD - especially if one was a driver update.  You should grab bluescreenview and research the error code a bit.  

Could you post a screenshot of what you see in file explorer?  there should be no letter with the System reserved parition (your Windows bootloader).  Did you initiate the restore from Windows?  If so, that is probably the reason.  Thsi should not happen, but sometimes does when starting a full disk recover under ASRM.  Please submit feedback through the app with a system report and reference this thread.  After that, I would go back and re-do the restore using your offline recovery media - you should be using that for all full disk RECOVERIES or anytime you clone - please don't do either of these in Windows and you will have much better stability and success. 

Regular Poster

Thank you Bobbo. As you see from the attachment my System Reserved partition has the Drive Letter G. I never restore from Windows, only from the TI offline recovery media. Am I correct with using all the below restore options:?

NTFS Boot disc 476GB

MBR and Track 0

NTFS (System Reserved) 500MB (If this partition should not have a drive letter should I be restoring it or deleting it)?

Recovery Partition 450mb

Recover Disc Signature.

Attachment Size
388575-133078.jpg 135.42 KB
Legend
Comments: 27752

Peter, if you are restoring because of a BSOD, then I would suggest that you could restrict what you restore to just the 476GB Boot disk for your C: OS drive and possibly the System Reserved partition which shouldn't have a drive letter assigned.

I would recommend looking at Windows Disk Management and checking what that shows here - the System Reserved partition should be on your C: boot drive, so check that you do not have more than one of these in your system for why you are seeing this as drive G: now?

A screen shot from Disk Management would be better than one from Windows Explorer.

Forum Hero

I'd second for a disk management screenshot - curious if it has a volume letter there too. I did one ASRM recovery and Windows Explorer gave me a drive letter on the system parition (in 2016), but not in disk management!   I could delete the drive letter using diskpart, but upon reboot, it would always return. 

Regular Poster

Thank you both for your efforts. I attach 2 x jpgs. .

One shows the 'G' partition assignment for the System Reserved partition and the other shows the contents of the System Reserved G partition. What do I do from here? Delete the System Reserved G partition?

Attachment Size
388908-133090.jpg 143.1 KB
388908-133093.jpg 240.06 KB
Forum Hero

Don't delete it - that's your bootloader.

However, the drive letter is not needed. Looks like you should be able to right click on G: in the lower section under DISK 1, click on on "change drive letters and path".  Select "G" and remove. Reboot and make sure it boots (which it should) and upon reboot go back and see if it assigns G automatically again, or leaves the drive letter off like it should be. 

Regular Poster

The attachment now shows no drive letter for System Reserved partition and it booted perfectly, thank you. To recapitulate: Do I restore just the Boot Disc SSD and nothing else? Ignoring MBR & Track 0, System Reserved, Recovery partition and Disc Signature?

Appreciate both your efforts.

Attachment Size
388932-133096.jpg 271 KB
Forum Hero

It's up to you.  

For me though... I always do a full disk image of a disk so I have the option to restore any and all paritions.  When resoring an image, I generally restore the entire disk and all partions so that it is just like the original disk when the restore is complete.  If you are restoring to a new or formatted disk, you must at least select the system reserved and your C: parition (or wherever the OS is on).  MBR track 0 gives the drive the same ID as the original.  Recovery is Windows Recovery and not needed, but makes recovery nice so that you don't have to use an installer disk or repair disk.

System Reserved = your Windows bootloader.  must have this present on a disk if you plan to boot Windows, you do not have to restore this on a disk that already hsa the proper system reserve partition though. You really save very little time excluding this, so if you are having trouble with a disk or moving to a new disk, plan to restore it with the C: parition

MBR & Track 0 = the disk signature.  It is not required to restore.  However, if you have software that is licensed based on the hardware it detects, you should include this (especially if the drive is going into the same computer).  That way, you don't have to relicense certain  software.  You might find that if you don't include this, products like MS Office, will ask you to enter the license key again. 

Recovery Partition = Windows built in recovery partition.  It is not required.  However, if Windows has a problem booting, you can try a system repair from this without needing a recovery disk or Windows installer disk

If you just restore the C: drive to a new drive with no other partions, it won't be bootable by itself.  If you are restoring the OS on a drive that already

Regular Poster

Thank you very much Bobbo, you have clarified all I need to now for a restore.

Forum Hero

You're welcome, happy to have provided the info.  Good luck with all of your future restores!  If you ever get a mounted drive letter for system volume again, be sure to submit feedback through the app and attach a system report to Acronis - it isn't supposed to be doing this as of v6571 of 2016 or any versions in 2017.