Skip to main content

ATI 2017 Build 8058 Windows 10 - BSOD since recent Windows 10 Updates

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 73

Hello, I encounter issues with the latest Windows 10 updates (e.g. KB4477029) and ATI2017 scheduled drive backup.

Since these installation by Windows, while a scheduled differential drive backup of my Windows system partion is running, a BSOD occurs. This never happens before.

The snapshot option for this backup is set to VSS.

Anyone encounter similar issues backing up a Windows partion?

Thanks in advance.

Bodo

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25375

Bodo, I have not seen other reports here in the forums for BSOD with ATI 2017 and the latest Windows 10 build 1809.

I would suggest trying a couple of options:

First download / run the Acronis VSS Doctor tool as Administrator to check for any VSS issues.

Second, do a Repair install of ATI 2017 by downloading the final full installer from your Acronis account and installing this over the top of the current application without uninstalling.

If you still see any BSOD's after doing the above, then try using the free 'Who Crashed' program to better identify what actually caused the BSOD?

Forum Member

Steve, thank you for your suggestions, appreciate it very much.

I ran VSS doctor and it reports an Disk I/O Load issue for an SSD drive. That SSD drive holds my Windows boot partition.

VSS states for the SSD drive Operations/sec: 1356, Disk time 90%

"Some disks may be overloaded. VSS may be gehave incorrectly under such conditions. Stop heavy operations or wait until completion."

What are my options to resolve the issues?

Thanks in advance,

Bodo

Legend

Bodo, doing a Google search 'SSD Disk I/O overload Windows 10' brought the following suggestions for users reporting similar issues.

From a Microsoft support post

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Run system maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

1.      Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

2.      Click on Troubleshooting.

3.      Click on View all on the left side panel.

4.      Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

1. Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
  2. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
  3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
  4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
  5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
  6. Close Task Manager.
  7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

For more information refer the below link.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Forum Member

Thanks Steve, I tried to run system maintenance troubleshooter but no issues were reported.

Perhaps the repair install of ATI 2017 did the trick, because my system runs stable now while a ATI backup is running.

Thanks again,

Bodo

Legend

Bodo, thanks for the update / feedback, hope your system remains stable for you.

Beginner
Comments: 6

IN case anybody ends up following Google here.

I've also ran into this issue, 1803 was installed, and I started getting frequent BSOD's mostly in virtual_file.sys. This typically happened after logging in, not on reboot. 

I upgraded to 2019 and have had no issues since.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Dear All. I have the same case. Since last Windows 10 Update, I had several BSOD (Blue screen) about the virtual file system, virtual_file.sys. Cannot remember the exactly error message (Windows deleted the dumps itself after some days) but analysis with Nirsoft Bluescreen Viewer said, that the error was because Acronis True Image and Virtual file system.

I couldn't try alot, because every time a BSOD happened, but after uninstalling True Image 2017, everything was OK. 

This is bad. I very like the Acronis products, but I am not sure to buy the new 2019 version, only because the 2017 version crashes and there is no support anymore on the old version. And depending of the Windows 10 installation, I am not sure, if 2019 will running well...  Maybe I will try to reinstall the 2017 version, but I have fear, that another BSOD could damage the system... (And how restore, when the Backup Software causes Blue Screens... Don't know if the complete system image created with Windows 10 itself works good...)

Edit: Just posted it for information - maybe in the meantime more cases of the problem are known, and somebody will finde a clear solution of the problem (without try and error...)  

Legend

Stefan, welcome to these public User Forums.

Are you able to post more details on what the BSOD error codes were here?

Beginner

Too bad, that Windows deleted the last dump files itself. I just can remember that virtual_file.sys was mentioned and I think also "unexpected kernel mode trap" or similar. For an exact analyses, I have to reinstall True Image 2017 and check if I get the errors again. But as I said, I am not a fan of Blue screens and I do not want any system damage by trying too much... But it seems not many users are affected at all, or there were more forum threads about this...

Legend

Stefan, ATI 2017 has been around for a long time now with minimal reports of BSODs (and the same for 2018 and 2019), so difficult to know whether this was a direct cause of the crash you have encountered or not.

If you decide to reinstall ATI 2017, then would suggest using the Acronis Cleanup tool first (run as Administrator and restart afterwards) - link in my signature below.

The Windows Event logs may have some information about the crash if you remember the rough date / time it happened?

Forum Star
Comments: 4351

Abundant caution suggests that it would be advisable to run the cleanup tool as suggested by Steve.

Ian

Beginner

Dear Steve and Ian.

Thanks for your help. 

1) Windows event logs are showing, that there were critical, unexpected shutdowns of the system, and after the restart checkdisk was running (without errors). Bevore and after this events are a lot of other entries, so it is difficult to separate the relevant ones, of these ones that are listed before/after a normal shutdown or reboot.

2) I did now what you suggested and try it again. I ran the cleanup tool (and followed the steps exactly) and after a reboot I installed the latest version of True Image 2017 again. Will work today a lot at my PC, will run True Image to make a backup to look if it's running stable… If a crash will occur, I will report it here. If everything is running well in the next days, I will also report it here. 

Legend

Thanks for the update Stefan, hope all goes well with your testing & backup today!

Beginner

After 2 months of troubleshooting my new PC hardware, VGA, new SSD, I traced the source of repeated BSOD's to Acronis 2017.

I installed fresh Windows 10 Pro version 1909 build 18363.

I played a 3D game over 3 days, as this was the application that would more likely running when BSOD's happened.  Adding other peripherals, add-on cards, extra storage drives, did not bring back the BSODs.

I then installed Acronis True Image 2017 build 8058 to perform a backup of this fresh install just in case.

Not one minute passed during backup when I got BSOD.  After reboot, BSOD after 5 mins.

I uninstalled Acronis 2017 and no BSOD after 3 hours.