Skip to main content

Backup Comment Button is Missing in ATI 2017 (Build 5534)

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 12

The Backup Comment button is missing in True Image 2017.

I am using the latest build (5534), and have already chatted with tech support.

The documentation states that the button should be where it was in True Image 2016. It isn't.

Is this a known issue?

Is a fix in the works?

I'm running Windows 10 (64 bit) on two different machines with the same problem on both.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8346

I have it. Should be the little icon to the right of the backup name - see screenshot.

Attachment Size
385770-132781.png 5.79 KB
Beginner

I have that... that displays the comment on the latest backup.

However, the button to change the comment was (and should be, according to the documentation) located in the Advanced Disk Backup Options between the "Removable media settings" button and the "Error handling" button.

Without that button, we cannot note changes between backups.

It just keeps putting the same comment for each differential (and, I'm assuming, incremental) backup.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6875

Hello David,

The option to add comments has been moved from Advanced options to the main tab to make it easier to find (the screenshot shared by Bobbo_3C0X1 shows the current location). The documentation for Acronis True Image 2017 has been updated accordingly. The functionality of this feature hasn't been changed.

Thank you,

Beginner

I thought that might be the case; however, when I click on the new icon showed in the above screen capture, change the comment to a new comment, and then perform a new differential backup, the old comment remains.

Forum Hero

I had that happen once just now.  However, I noticed it change back when the cursor was still in they comment window where I typed.  I clicked out of it after changing the comment and ran another differential backup and then it kep the name change.  Actually, it started the next full... so either it holds the comment for the version chain and allows you to change it during the next version chain, or clicking out and then running the backup is the key.  Full backup is running so I'll test again when it's done. 

Beginner

Thanks.

I'm updating Windows now, but a new full backup followed by a differential backup as a test was my next step.

My last full backup was performed in ATI 2016, and I was performing a differential backup relative to that image in ATI 2017.

Didn't know if the upgrade changed comment handling across versions.

Sounds like the comment button behavior needs to be tweaked so that we get the same result regardless of cursor status and/or regardless of full/differential selection.

Beginner

Just tried a differential while clicking outside the box.

The text remains changed until I hit the backup button, then it immediately reverts to the old text (before the backup begins), and it remains as the old comment.

Performing a new full backup now...

Forum Hero

Hmmm, I can't duplicate the problem unless I remain in the typing area when I press the backkup button.  

AS long as I click out of the comment section first, it's keeping the change for me.  Might want to reach out to technical support to see if they can help or submit a system report via feedback in the app.  Seems to be working OK for me.

Do you have more than one task?  If so, click on the second task (to change things up) and return to the first one and make a comment change and see if it still reverts back. 

** My only gripe with the comments right now, is when I go to recovery, I can't see the comment within the recovery section within Windows - I"m assuming it will be viewable when I use my recovery media, but haven't tried yet. 

Beginner

The change stays for me until I hit the backup button, and then it instantly reverts (it remains reverted after differential backup completes).

My backup is encrypted... that might have something to do with it as I have to enter the password before it'll allow me to change the comment.

I'll post update in about 10 minutes when this full backup and another test differential backup complete.

Beginner

Neither the full nor the differential backups  (both ATI 2017) kept any comments.

I suspect it may have something to do with selecting an encrypted backup.

I have nothing better to do </sarcasm>, so I'll try the backup without encryption to see if that fixes it.

Beginner

OK...

Just started the full unencrypted backup, and it kept the comment after hitting the backup button.

I think that was it...

I'll post final results after it finishes, and I try another unencrypted differential backup based on this full unencrypted image.

Beginner

Sounds like the comment is behind the encryption rather than being unencrypted causing issues...

Beginner

Yes... it's the encryption.

The new full unencrypted and differential unencrypted backups worked fine.

I also tried a second differential unencrypted backup with the cursor still blinking (without clicking outside the box), and it worked fine, as well.

The comment function just needs to be fixed so that it works with encryption.

Forum Hero

Interesting - all of my back ups are encrypted and seem to be working OK.  Perhaps it was just that particular backup task.  If you feel like testing more, you could create a new encrypted backup and try again.  

Beginner

My first one tonight was a full, encrypted ATI 2017, and it didn't store the comments.

Just started another full encrypted, and it did not revert as soon as I hit the backup button.

Great... an intermittent problem...

I'll post result in 10 minutes when this full/encrypted and another differential/encrypted finish...

Beginner

Annnnndddddd... now it's working with both full and differential encrypted backups.

I wouldn't even know own where to begin diagnosing that issue except to say that it's intermittent.

Yum.

Forum Hero

Keep an eye on it.  If it returns, report it as a bug with the in app feedback and reference this thread.  I only saw it happen that one time so far, but was still in the typing area when I ran it so thought that was the reason. 

Beginner

Cool...

At least it was two people noticing an intermittent bug rather than just one...

That's one level of duplicating the problem...

Now, we know that there's a confirmed problem... even if it might be tough to pinpoint...

Regular Poster
Comments: 345

Hi All,

In order that the Comments Entered for the New Backup, one needs to Type or paste the Comments into the Box. After it finished pasting, Hit Enter, at the End of the Comments. Then click outside of the Box, in order for the Comments to be locked in for the Backup. Now if the other options are correct, simply click on Backup Now.

If you simply click on Backup Now after entering the Comments, the Comments could be lost.