Skip to main content

Backup Warning

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

I'm trying to restore an inage to the same SSD it was taken from, using Acronis 2017 CD.

When I select the disk to restore I get the message "Warning ... will not boot from the destination disk in BIOS". I've never had this message before.  If I procede, will I be able to restore the Boot in some other way?

If it's relevant, I'm having to restore the image because Windows 10 crashed during an upgrade and when I reboot  Windows only partly loads before crashng with a BSOD and the message CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.  Repairing from a Windows Install disk doesn't work. 

Many thanks for any help. I've used Acronis for years and never had this problem before.  Would a later version of Acronis help? If so I'll upgrade.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26745

"Warning ... will not boot from the destination disk in BIOS" is given because you are attempting to recover your backup using the Acronis rescue media which has been booted using a different method than your Windows OS uses.

If your Windows OS boots using UEFI / GPT but you try to recover your backup using rescue media booted in Legacy / MBR mode, then the end result will be the target SSD being migrated from GPT to MBR and thus will not boot because of it.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media