Skip to main content

Bootable disk not working on dell latitude Windows seven

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

Hello I have just bought acronis 2017 and have made a bootable recovery disk but  it will not boot on my Dell latitude computer. Can anyone help please. I've looked at some forums and the technical level  required is far beyond my ability.  I was led to believe that this product was easy to use. 

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8348

Hi Peter,

Please understand that getting the bootable media to be usable takes some user checking of bios settings and verifing that the media is good (good burn, good CD/DVD, etc).  You'll need to do this for any bootable media as many bios have security and/or different settings depending on whether they support legacy mode, UEFI mode or both. 

Once you have all of the settings in the bios properly set to allow booting of external media, then you'll be able to use it.  Most likely, these are bios security limitations (or your bootable media had a bad burn - can you boot it on other computers - bad discs, bad burns, etc get people sometime - we had one guy who couldn't get any of his verbatim CD's to work, nor his verbatim flash drvies.  He used a different flash drive and it worked after that).  Personally, I would use the media creator within the application and build a bootable USB flash drive (WinPE may ultimately work better if your system SATA mode is RAID).   Assuming your bootable media is good...

1) Is secure boot enabled or disabled in the bios - disable it or you won't be able to boot third party bootloaders - this is a bios security restriction.

2) What is the SATA mode in the bios set to (AHCI, RAID or something else).  AHCI is easy - RAID is more difficult because of the need for drivers to see the RAID controller.  The default Acronis recovery media is Linux (to allow for distribution of a pre-built bootable disc).  However, Linux is not very good with incorporationg newer RAID controller drivers.  So, if the OS was installed with the SATA mode set to RAID, you can temporarily set to AHCI in the bios, boot straight to the recovery media and backup/restore and then go back into the bios and switch back to RAID before booting the OS again.  Alternatively, you really need to create WinPE (Windows based bootable media, instead of using the default Linux bootable media) and then you can inject the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) drivers for the intel RAID controller.  Instructions listed here:  https://forum.acronis.com/forum/112372#comment-387006.  It's not as bad as it sounds and once you've created it, you don't have to worry about doing this again and/or you'll have a better idea how to do it the next time. 

3) The Dell's support UEFI bios and Legacy / CSM bios, but often come with UEFI only enabled.  Have you set to legacy mode or how was your OS installed.  You need to make sure that you're booting the recovery media to match how the OS is/was installed (legacy mode boot for a legacy installed OS or UEFI installed for a UEFI installed OS).  This thread explains the differences and settings in a Dell Latitude 5510 laptop and how to use the Dell one time boot menu (F12) to ensure you're booting your media properly. 

Beginner

Hello MVP thank you very much for your response I will try this. As it happens my new computer was exactly the same model as the old one so I was able to simply plug-in a USB drive with the A2017 back up tin file and transfer across that way ( I.e. as though I was restoring back to the original computer) 

Obviously I still need to set up a bootable recovery disk. I just don't understand why Acronis do not mention the bios prepping or provide simple instructions like you provide above in their A2017 help manual.  When I contacted the robotic Acronis chat helpline all they could do was to refer me to other documentation which had so many acronyms that it seemed almost impossible To understand what one had to do.  I have a Dell laptop, a very common computer, why doesn't Acronis hive simple BIOS prepping instructions for the most common computers ?  Fortunately I've used Acronis9 for many years so at least had some notion on what was expected. However Joe public will just give up and go find another product.

Oh well to those of my life that I will never get back. I hope someone as a Kronos monitors this message boards/forums.

Oh well  there goes to days of my life that I will never get back. I hope someone Acronis monitors this message board/forum.

Once again thank you very much 

Beginner

Hello MVP thank you very much for your response I will try this. As it happens my new computer was exactly the same model as the old one so I was able to simply plug-in a USB drive with the A2017 back up tin file and transfer across that way ( I.e. as though I was restoring back to the original computer) 

Obviously I still need to set up a bootable recovery disk. I just don't understand why Acronis do not mention the bios prepping or provide simple instructions like you provide above in their A2017 help manual.  When I contacted the robotic Acronis chat helpline all they could do was to refer me to other documentation which had so many acronyms that it seemed almost impossible To understand what one had to do.  I have a Dell laptop, a very common computer, why doesn't Acronis hive simple BIOS prepping instructions for the most common computers ?  Fortunately I've used Acronis9 for many years so at least had some notion on what was expected. However Joe public will just give up and go find another product.

Oh well to those of my life that I will never get back. I hope someone as a Kronos monitors this message boards/forums.

Oh well  there goes to days of my life that I will never get back. I hope someone Acronis monitors this message board/forum.

Once again thank you very much 

Forum Hero

Hi Peter, best of luck - I'm sure you'll get things working - we are a primarily Dell shop in my office and Acronis has served us well on these systems.  Every time there's a new Dell system though, we have to go in and play with the bios settings a little bit since the options keep changing with newer hardware (like how Dell is setting new laptops that use PCIE NVME hard drives in RAID mode by default instead of the AHCI SATA mode were used to seeing with the traditional SATA SSD hard drives). 

Can't really speak for the documentaiton provided by Acronis.  However, there are a LOT of different motherboards and firmware versions out there that have different settings and/or limitaitons to what they can do and it would be hard for any application to provide exact details for each system.  For instance I have an HP DM1Z netbook that is only legacy and has no secure boot, I have an ASUS T200 that is only UEFI and comes with secure boot enabled, I have a custom Gigabyte motherboard desktop that allows everything but came with UEFI and secure boot enabled and took some of my own fiddling to get to work with some other bootable media.  Also, a similar ASUS or MSI motherboard will have similar features to my gigabyte board (in functionality), but the menus and settings will vary for the different firmware that comes from those manufacturerse and can change anytime a new firmware update is installed.  

Good thing is.. once you have it set and can get it booting and working, you shouldn't have to mess with the bios settings much after that.  UEFI has certainly made things a bit more difficult for end-users in the last couple of years since manufacturers are still supporting legacy, but trying to get UEFI as the default on most new systems. 

Beginner

Hello Bobbo

Despite your kind advice. I am still unable to boot from a rescue disk. When I boot the rescue disk I get this message on a black screen "Invalid partition table!" but when I hit the return button Acronis Rescue media boots and I go to a blue page "Acronis Rescue Media" with a 2 choice menu "Acronis Universal Restore (32 -bit)" AND "Continue OS booting".

If I do nothing there is a counter that on reaching zero goes to a black screen which says "starting Acronis loader..." but this appears to fail and just loops back to the previous screen.

If I select "Acronis Universal Restore (32 -bit)" A new window appears "acronis Universal Restore" afterr two versions of this window I have a new window "acronis Universal Restore with these presets

Operating sytem -  Windows 7

Automatic Driver Search - Search Removable Media - ON

Mass storage drivers to install anyway Add driver

I now plug in my other usb drive with my back up Acronis tib file and select OK at the bottom (from OK, Reboot, Turn Off).

I tehn have a window that tells me that Applying Universal Restore was successful. I click OK and screens returns to Acronis Universal Restore page as before.

If I hit OK it just loops as above. If I reboot it just turns off with some DOS type message that is too quick too read.

FYI Secure Boot is Disabled.

Raid is ON but when I set it to AHCI all the above still happens.

IN desperation I thought I would try the Windows assisted method you suggested but when I went to the link you provided. I have this message even though I am logged on to Acronis.

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

Any help would be most appreciated. I will send this mail to Acronis Customer Helpdesk too, just in case they can help.

Once again many thanks

Beginner

Also Just as an aside. I forgot to change the BIOS back to RAID but I can still boot Windows 7 as before. Do I need to have RAID selected??

Forum Hero

Hi Peter, 

I think there is something wrong with your rescue media, or you built it with the universal restore media builder instead of from within Acronis.  You should have an option for 1. True Image by default and it sounds like it's not there.  I would suggest opening an administrative command prompt (right click and run as administrator.  Then type 

diskpart <enter>

list disk <enter>

take note of the disk # that matches your USB recoery drive

select disk X <enter>  (change X to the # of the flash drive you noted after runnin "list disk" - make sure you pick the right one!)

clean <enter>

create partition primary <enter>

active <enter>

format fs=fat32 quick label=ATIH17<enter>

exit <enter>

With your newly FAT32 formatted USB flash drive, go into the Acronis GUI and run the media builder from there.  Screenshots attached.  Then try to boot it in UEFI mode... (restart/reboot and quickly tap F12 and then pick the UEFI entry of your USB drive).

Attachment Size
396067-134506.jpg 122.89 KB
396067-134509.jpg 66.63 KB
396067-134512.jpg 56.43 KB
396067-134515.jpg 90.98 KB
Forum Hero

peter curran wrote:

Also Just as an aside. I forgot to change the BIOS back to RAID but I can still boot Windows 7 as before. Do I need to have RAID selected??

AHCI is fine.  Are you using an NVME PCIE hard drive or a regular SATA drive?  If SATA, leave it as AHCI.  However, if using an NVME PCIE hard drive, they are capable of a much higher processing queue depth when set in RAID vs AHCI.  But, unless you're doing some super hi-intensive processing (and/or don't have an NVME PCIE drive installed anyway), you'll never know the difference with a single SATA boot drive.  If you are using an NVME PCIE hard drive and can switch back to RAID without any boot issues, I'd say switch it back though to take advantage of the NVME PCIE drives full potential.  If you're using a standard SATA SSD drive or spinning drive, just leave it along.  Windows 7 is not particularly found of switching back and fort and may BSOD unless you prepare it first (from within the working OS) before switching back in the bios. 

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE Microsoft Fixit

Beginner
Comments: 1

Can someone could help me?

I have almost the same problem, I have a boot acronis true image version in two pendrives, 4gb and 32gb. It works in all PCs and laptops I tried. But doesn't work on Dell latitude 3450.

I got the following error message:

Invalid Partition Table!

If I set BIOS to Legacy mode, I have a screen with thousand of messagens but it freezes 

So I can't do disk images of my Dell Laptop

Hope someone could help me

thanks

Legend
Comments: 26745

Ricardo, welcome to these public User Forums.

Do you have Acronis True Image 2017 installed in Windows on your Dell Latitude computer, and if so what build version is shown on the ATI GUI Account page?

What version of Windows OS do you have?

What type of ATI rescue media is on your 2 USB pendrives?

Finally, how does your Dell Latitude boot into Windows?  Is this using UEFI or is it Legacy boot?
If you look in the BIOS, if it shows 'Windows Boot Manager' then it is UEFI, otherwise Legacy.