Skip to main content

Cloned drive does not boot

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 9

I am having a problem. I have 2 internal hard drives.
I cloned the active windows 7 drive and cloned it to an active new, formatted, blank hard drive.
When i go to boot up to the new cloned drive...It will not boot. It says "BOOTMGR is Missing" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I have run check disk  on both drives with no problem. 
PLEASE HELP!  What can I do? 
Thanks, Fred

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2481

Windows 7, wow; have not used it for a while. I assume you are running 7.1; if you have installation media, run media and when prompted select repair. A Windows 7.1 one may work. Unfortunately as Windows 7 is out of extended support you cannot use the Microsoft Media creation tool to create and installation disk for Windows 7.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 16106

Duplicate of forum post here

Beginner
Comments: 9

Yes Windows 7 . A hell of a lot better than 10. Thats why we installed it to replace 10. 
Anyway   I have a hard drive with Windows 10 on it and Windows 7 on it. I found out yesterday that the reason it wasn't booting to Windows 7 was because there was no sector on. I tried several times using the Windows disk but it wasn't finding an operating system. Today like magic if found the operating system created the boot disk and everything is operating fine. I have cloned the drive to another drive in case that whenever goes bad or has a problem I can boot to the other one. Thanks for all the responses but I have to resolve that now thank God. Best Fred O

Legend
Comments: 16106

Fred, thanks for the update, good to hear the problem is resolved and hope it stays that way for you!