Skip to main content

Continous Backup with Acronis 2018

Beginner
Comments: 4

Can one retrieve a single file or folder from a NAS that is being used with Acronis 2018 in a Continuous Backup mode.  I have done this with a full image single file many times but this is a continuous backup and when I go out to the NAS and look at the file structure, I can't see how to view individual files.  Is this possible?

Forum Star
Comments: 2214

You need to do the recovery using ATI, you cannot recovery files using Windows Explorer or other file manager.

Ian

Hmmm, my continuous backup to my NAS seems to have got lost when I upgraded to ATI 2019 (had to do a clean install as I was running beta).

Beginner

I am not trying to do a full recovery, just one file.  So there is no way to do that with continuous backup or if I start to do a recovery, will selecting one file be an option?

Legend
Comments: 14520

You should not need to do a full recovery for a single file.  Click on the Recovery page button for your Non Stop Backup task, then pick the recovery point you want to recover the file from, then navigate to where the file is stored from the listing shown.

Forum Star
Comments: 2214

Yes that is how it works - found the backup task, it was on another PC (senior's moment?) and you can recover individual files, or directories on a particular date.

Ian

Beginner

Are there any big issues with the Acronis NonStop backup option in ATI 2018?  It is supposed to update every 5 minutes but seems to seldom work in this configuration:

Dell XPS laptop, latest version, i7 with SSD drive, it's fast.  The target for the backup is a Synology Raid1 NAS box on a 1gb Ethernet router.  The NAS works great, logged in continuously, always there, The Acronis incremental backup works and if I force the NonStop to start it works.  The required services are there.  It just seems from what I read that the NonStop function has had problems.  I don't have the exact error condition but it does not back up after adding a Word document to Documents and waiting more than 5 minutes. The NAS is there all the time.  I don't want to waste a lot of time troubleshooting this (and this a friend's new laptop that I set up for him and I think he is not happy with Acronis NonStop) if this function is fraught with issues and known problems.  Any thoughts?  I am thinking just to go with both a weekly full image backup and a hourly incremental backup instead of NonStop. 

Thanks, Tom

Legend

Tom, there have been mixed reviews for NSB from users in these forums.  I personally have no need for such a continuous backup feature and even using a schedule of once per hour is an overkill for my requirements.

A lot here depends on your / your friend's data security requirements as to how you want to do things?

One approach that I use is in using the Synology Cloud Station Drive function installed on my laptop and other computers where this is set to synchronise any changes to my Docs folder and store these on the NAS then share them to the other computers.  This works immediately changes are detected and has very little overhead that I have noticed.

2018-09-14 14_34_49 Cloud Station Drive tasks.png2018-09-14 14_34_01 Cloud station drive log.png

Beginner

Re: Cloud station drive

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check it out.  The shot you posted is a log.  What format are the actual backed up files on the Synology?  Some compressed format, actual files, or what?  Can you pull an individual file from that backup? Thanks, Tom

Legend

Tom, the files are 'as is' and can be accessed directly via File Explorer, so you can copy as needed.

Beginner

Super!!  Thanks so much for all your help.  If I can give you an "atta a boy", let me know how.

You went over and beyond on this one. Thanks!