Skip to main content

Delete version chains older then XX days

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 34

Hello,

Question on the backup scheme cleanup setting of "Delete version chains older then XX days".  Say I used "90" days.  Does it calculate the 90 days from the start of the version chain?  Or the end of the version chain? (i.e. I start the version chain with a full backup, then followed by 5 differential backups, make up one chain.  Does it calculate the 90 days from the start of the version, the full backup, or the last differential backup of the version).

Thanks.

Scott

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21990

Scott, this is similar to the answer to your other topic about 'Store no more than xx recent version chains".

The difference here is how the automatic cleanup action is applied.

The aging of a version chain only starts being counted once the version chain is complete, which in turn only happens when a new version chain is successfully started (by creating a new full backup file).

So if you set "Delete version chains older than 90 days" - the 90 days count is started when the next version chain has been created.  Using your example.  Version chain 1 = 1 x Full & 5 x Incremental files.  Version chain 2 will be the same when created.  The 90 days start counting when version chain 2 initial Full backup is created successfully.

Another factor here is the timing of when your Full and Incremental backups are created, so if you run this backup task weekly, then the Version chain 2 Full backup will be created on week 7, which is when the 90 days count will also start.  So in effect, nothing will be deleted until Version chain 3 is also being filled - 13 weeks after the full for version chain 2 was created.  I find this method gives less control over the space requirements for my backups.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Forum Member
Comments: 34

Thanks.

Forum Member
Comments: 85

so, which is better - and why?.....

Store no more than [n] recent version chains 

or 

Delete version chains older than [n] days
Legend
Comments: 21990

David, for me, personally, I always use 'Store no more....' as I find it much easier to both understand and manage.

With 'Store no more...' I know that my oldest version chains will be deleted automatically as soon as a new Full backup has been created to start a new version chain when the criteria is met.  i.e. If I had set 'Store no more than 2 recent version chains', then when chain 3 is created successfully, chain 1 is removed, keeping just chains 2 and 3.

See my earlier update above for the difference with how 'Delete version chains older...' works.