Skip to main content

Disapperring tib-storage drive

Regular Poster
Comments: 74

My desktop computer (Dell, Windows 10) has three internal hard drives.
One hard drive (2 TB; Drive letter "T") is dedicated to store True Image backup files.

I started to back up system disk since last week. For backup, T-drive was selected as the backup destination.   During backup process, backup was aborted.  The error message was that it could not find the destination.   I found that T-drive disappeared from File Explorer (also from Disk Management) during the backup process by unknown reasons.

When the computer was rebooted, T-drive appeared.  When I tried to backup again, the T-drive disappears again during the backup process.
This process became an endless loop.  So it is apparent that True Image triggered the disappearance of T-drive during backup process.  I wonder how to fix on this problem.  Thanks.

Legend
Comments: 10036
mvp

Jorge, please download the MVP Log Viewer and check what actual error messages are being posted in the backup task logs on your computer.

My personal suspicion is that there is something going wrong with your backup drive T: rather than it being a problem caused by ATI.

I would recommend doing a CHKDSK /F for drive T: to see what this shows, and if that gives no errors, then do a CHKDSK /R to check for bad sectors, which will take a lot longer.

You should also check the Windows Event logs for the date/times when the drive disappeared?

Regular Poster

Thanks.  I will do that.  The trouble is with my home computer.

It might take a few days. BTW, I pesrformed a backup on other D-(data drive: 4 tb).  No problem.

It might has to do with the T-drive itself.

Regular Poster

Hi, 

Excuse me from where I could I download MVP Log Viewer .   It is not listed under your signature lines.

Legend
mvp

Jorge, click on the Community Tools link in my signature.

Regular Poster

Hi, I downloaded MVP Log Viewer.  Thanks again.

Regular Poster

I now got a few data:

As described earlier, T-drive was disappeared from my computer for a few days.  When booted last night, the T-drive re-appeared.  So, I was able to scan the T-disk.  From chkdsk T: /F , no error seems to be detected (see the attachment chdsk.jpg.
Then, chkdsk T: /R was scanned overnight.  The attachment (chkdisk T: /R) shows that there are errors on the T-drive.

Separately, I tried to look at the even view using MVP Log Viewer as follow:
On 9/18/17, I tried to backup "Home 2017_31Disk_full_b1_sl. tib onto T-drive.  In the middle of the backup, T-drive was disappeared.  The backup was aborted.  Info from MVP Log viewer is attached.   There isn't much information on this error. I should dump it.
I wish to hear comments from the attachment.  Thanks.

Regular Poster

Here are two attachments.MVP Logviewer.jpg

Regular Poster

chkdsk.jpg

Regular Poster

Sorry.  I could not figure out how to attach two attachments to the message.

Legend
mvp

Jorge, sorry but it is not possible yet to add attachments to this new forum platform as we could on the old forum, so you would need to share a dropbox or onedrive type link to the files if needed.

There does look to be a problem with your T: drive as shown by the CHKDSK /R action where it shows that you have bad clusters plus insufficient free space to resolve those bad clusters.

chkdsk.jpg

At this point, I would recommend trying to do a full format of that T: drive to see if this can correct these errors and give you back a more reliable working drive.  You should also visit the drive manufacturers support website and see if they provide any diagnostic software you can use to check the drive in more detail and perhaps also be able to do a full low-level format.

Regular Poster

Thank you.  I actually reformatted the drive to use for storing tib backup file a month ago.

I will try again.  Thank you.  Meanwhile, I am thinking about replacing the drive  with 4 tb hard disk.

Regular Poster

Today, I tried to fix any error on T-drive with SeaToolsforWindows. Fix All (fast) failed.

It is clear that there is a unfixable error on the T-drive.  I got to replace with new drive.

Thanks for your help to Steve.   Regards,

Regular Poster

Eventually, the dead T-drive was replaced with a new Toshiba 4tb hard disk.  It is a GPT disk which I would like to ask about.  In the past,  I have been converted GPT disks into MBR format before use.   Now, my computers run on Windows 10.   It appears that GPT disk does not need to be converted into MBR.    Yesterday,I was able to backup and  save its tib into the GPT disk without any problem.   Should I convert it into MBR?

Legend
mvp

Jorges, there should be no need to convert your GPT disk to MBR if you are running a Windows OS that support this natively.  The key difference is the number of primary partitions supported which is only 4 for MBR, plus GPT supports larger disk drives.

Regular Poster

Thanks.