Skip to main content

Don't Have Permissions to Delete

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

Hello All.

I apologize if this post has been answered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find a result.

I am trying to delete an Acronis 2017 Backup (.tib) from my NAS via Windows File Explorer.  When I attempt to do so, I get the following: 

a sub-window titled "Folder Access Denied"
with the message:  You need permission to perform this action.
                              You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this folder.

In all previous versions of Acronis Backup, this message did not appear and, as Administrator, I had full access to the .tib backup file.

What do I need to do regain full access to these backups?

Thanks.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22029

highland98, welcome to these user forums.

What version of ATIH 2017 do you have installed?  It sounds as if you may have the Premium, Acronis  True Image New Generation version which includes the Acronis Active Protection module, as that is the only time that I have seen these access denied messages for Acronis .TIB files.

Look in your Windows System Tray area for a blue shield type icon that will show the text Acronis Active Protection if you hover your mouse over it. right-click on this icon to bring up the menu and then click on the top option to Turn off AAP which should allow you to delete the backup file.

If that doesn't work, then this is being caused by a permissions issue on your NAS rather than by the Acronis application.  Make sure you are signed in to the NAS with the correct privileges to allow you to delete files.

Beginner

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am running Acronis True Image 2017; version 2017; Build 8029.  It is only True Image 2017 - not Premium, not New Generation.

There is no blue shield icon in my system tray.  There is no Acronis anything in my system tray.  There is no reference to AAP in the Acronis 2017 application, nor is there any indication of anything AAP listed in the Task Manager.

Of course, it is a "permissions issue".  I simply don't have the authority  - even as Administrator - to change the permissions for "Unix User\nobody".  Evidently, only ATI has that clout.  It is an account created by Acronis 2017.  In all previous versions of ATI, "Administrator" was the owner of the .tib file on the NAS.

So, I am still looking for a way to change permissions on the .tib file.

Legend

Thanks for confirming that you have the ATIH 2017 Standard version with build 8029, therefore my comments about AAP are not relevant.

I have never encountered any situation where Acronis ever creates an account, and especially not for a NAS device, that just is not the way the application works.

When you create a backup task in the Acronis GUI and want to store the backup files for that task on a NAS device, then you have to provide the user credentials required by the NAS otherwise Acronis will not be given access to create the backup files on that device.

There is an Acronis KB document that deals with NAS credentials - see 58004: Acronis True Image 2016: Troubleshooting Issues Related to NAS Credentials - this is still applicable for ATIH 2017.

Beginner

Thanks again for your quick and informative reply.

I had none of these issues when I was running ATI 2016 (or any of the earlier ATIH versions - I have been using some version of Acronis for 10 years.).  There have been no updates to my NAS O/S or changes to the permissions of the share within the NAS interface.  The only thing in my system that has changed was the update from ATI 2016 to ATI 2017.  Evidently, something has changed within Acronis 2017.

For NAS credentials, the first time I executed ATI 2017, it asked for those credentials, and everything worked as expected.

Legend

What happens if you use the option from within the ATIH 2017 GUI for your task to 'Open location' then use the Window that Acronis launches to try to work with the .TIB file on the NAS drive, using the credentials provided by Acronis for accessing the same?

Beginner

Hello Steve Smith.

Thanks for continuing to follow up with this problem.

Yes!  Using the 'Open Location' option from within ATI 2017 allows me to delete a .tib backup file via a Windows File Explorer interface - with no permissions problems.  It is straightforward and, at the same time, non-intuitive.  Best of all, it works.

Thanks mucho.  

Legend

Glad to hear that the suggestion worked for you.  Please also do a validation for the backup task that created the deleted files so that the Acronis Database information gets reconciled with the new status of your remaining .TIB files stored on the NAS.  You should take the Ignore option for each deleted file that validation flags up.

Note: Use the V menu to the right of the task name to get to the Validation option for the task.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner
Comments: 4

I just now was able to delete a file with extension .tib that was "impossible" to delete.

What I ended up doing is the following.

By the way, I have Acronis True Image 2018.

Open Acronis.

In the left panel, click on Active Protection

At the end, click on Active Protection Settings

Remove the check mark from:  Protect Acronis True Image files from ransomware

Leave that window open for now

Go to the file you want to delete and... DELETE IT !

Comeback to the Acronis window and place the check mark for: Protect Acronis True Image files from ransomware

That's it!

Let me know if this worked for you!

Legend

Daniel, thank you for your suggestion about AAP in ATI 2018 - the original user was using ATI 2017 without AAP involved so this was not a cause of the problem, plus it has since been proven that AAP does not protect .tib files located on remote resources such as a NAS.

In reply to by Daniel Vina

Beginner
Comments: 5

Yes, it worked.  Thanks Daniel!

Beginner
Comments: 1

Daniel Vina, you are wonderful. I spent so much time trying to solve what was thought to be a windows administrator problem causing the tib files not to be able to be deleted nor moved. With your suggestion, a few clicks of the mouse fixed it. Thank you so much. 

Beginner
Comments: 1

wow. I spent a hour trying to delete an old tib file from another system, that i moved to my desktop from external 5tb drive.  I just wanted to get a few files from it.

I owned it and had complete access. Except I didnt.

This worked for me. See above for more details..

I have Acronis True Image 2020.

Open Acronis.

In the left panel, click on Active Protection

At the end, click on Active Protection Settings

Remove the check mark from:  Protect Acronis True Image files from ransomware

Leave that window open for now

Go to the file you want to delete and... DELETE IT !

thanks