Skip to main content

Error 0x1480008 cannot get file kernet64.dat from the partition - TRUE IMAGE 2021

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 8

Hi guys,

I've been setting up a new dell PC and been doing Acronis staged images so I can revert back to a particular stage after installing various software.

This has all been working fine though an external drive and USB C on the side on my dell 7780. I have used the W10 recovery option each time and it's been working flawlessly.

Today I have tried to restore an image and I have got the error in the subject line (see image 757). I have then generated recovery media USB and booted from that and I get a null reference exception (see image 765). Grrrr.

I have 3 or 4 full images that I will need, but cannot seem to recover from any of these, using either methods. 

Can any of you clever people help me get back on track as I've put hours into getting this PC setup and now fallen over! :-)

Attachment Size
IMG_0756.jpg 95.64 KB
IMG_0757.jpg 32.03 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25384

Stuj, please can you confirm that you have been doing successful restores of earlier backup images, as implied in your description above?

This has all been working fine though an external drive and USB C on the side on my dell 7780. I have used the W10 recovery option each time and it's been working flawlessly.

Today I have tried to restore an image and I have got the error in the subject line (see image 757). I have then generated recovery media USB and booted from that and I get a null reference exception (see image 765). Grrrr.

How have you been doing the restore for the 'W10 recovery option' as above?

What is different today?

The error in image 0757 suggests that the recovery might have been started from within Windows and that the partition being recovered to could not be found / mounted due to lack of device driver support?

Beginner

hi Steve,

To clarify I’ve only ever used the recover disk option from within the Windows 10 interface of ATI2021 and its worked perfectly over 6 times. When I started to get the kernel error (black screen with white writing photo 757) using this previous method, I decided to try the other method of booting from a USB key. I used Acronis to create the restore from usb drive. When I booted and went through the prompts I got the NULL error (second photo 756)

Q. Stuj, please can you confirm that you have been doing successful restores of earlier backup images, as implied in your description above?
A. yes, multiple times.

Q.How have you been doing the restore for the 'W10 recovery option' as above?

A. Just a partition restore from within Acronis not a full system restore.

Q. What is different today?
A. I may have renamed or moved the images from the USB drive to folders, as I’m doing multiple PC’s, however I’ve revalidated with ATI2021 before actioning the restore of the partition.

Q.The error in image 0757 suggests that the recovery might have been started from within Windows and that the partition being recovered to could not be found / mounted due to lack of device driver support?

A. I’ve always used the Acronis Within windows restore option, I used the generated media recovery usb after the Acronis restore from within-windows-option, stopped working.

Hope this helps?

Forum Star
Comments: 4354

Please confirm that you are using ATI 2021 as stated in post 3 above - bit confusing as somehow the post is on the ATI 2017 forum.

Please confirm that it is a data partition or system partition being restored. If it is the latter I suspect that something may have gone wrong when loading/unloading/using the temporary Linux installation that is used when restoring from within Windows.

Ian

Beginner

Hi Ian, thanks for reply. 

I can't make the capital letters bold, in the title or change the colour. I did the best I could. Maybe a moderator can move for me?

It's the C drive that contains windows and the other partitions on the C drive. 

Comment: "I suspect that something may have gone wrong when loading/unloading/using the temporary Linux installation that is used when restoring from within Windows."

But I'm using old images that I've restored from at least 6 times previously and it's not isolated to just one image.

Regards

Legend

Stuj, thanks for providing all the answers to my earlier questions.

Sorry to bring yet more questions!

What type of disk drive are you attempting to recover to?  Is this a standard SATA drive or is it one of the PCIe card type drives, such as a NVMe M.2 drive?

Was the backup image created from the same drive and same PC, or was it from a different PC or drive?

Are you making backup images of the whole disk drive, including all hidden / system partitions?
Your answer to Ian above would suggest you are!

For reference, see forum topic: ATI 2021 and Restore Entire PC on HP Probook 450 G4 - that another user has opened where very similar errors are being reported!

Note: only the forum moderator Ekaterina can move topics to a different forum, i.e. 2021.

Beginner

Hi Steve, No problem. I appreciate the help and want to understand the problem.

Q.What type of disk drive are you attempting to recover to?  Is this a standard SATA drive or is it one of the PCIe card type drives, such as a NVMe M.2 drive?

A. The C drive that I'm trying to restore to/backup has always been the NVMe M.2 drive on the Motherboard (a Dell Optiplex all-in-one 7780)

Q. Was the backup image created from the same drive and same PC, or was it from a different PC or drive?

A. The image has always been created from the NVMe M.2 drive C: to an USB C external drive on the same PC

Q Are you making backup images of the whole disk drive, including all hidden / system partitions?
Your answer to Ian above would suggest you are
!

A. I'm selecting the NVMe M.2 drive at top level and selecting all partitions under this (i think there was 4 or five sub branches under the NVMe M.2 drive when I selected it). They were all ticked anyhow.

Interesting read on the link you provided.

Regards

Stu

Legend

Stu, thanks for the further answers. I don't have any answers to give in response at this time.

The next step from my side will be to try to recreate this issue on my own HP Omen laptop but I am waiting on a spare Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD to be delivered before doing this!  The laptop is my main work horse and I would rather remove the current NVMe M.2 SSD and do the test recovery to an identical new SSD, where I have the working one as fallback!

I have done similar restores previously when I upgraded the original SSD to the Samsung 970 but that was using the ATI 2020 rescue media at that time (which I still have as an option).

I will post updates in this and the other topic when I have done the test recovery!

Beginner

Hi Steve,

OK so I've copied one of my  tib's from an image taken on 23/2 from an external USB C to a newly fitted SATA drive in a spare slot on the Dell 7780 All in one. I tried using the windows interface to restore (after verifying this) and got an error (see screenshot 812 attached). 

I then used the same USB boot drive I had created in a previous post of mine and managed to get the file to reimage the NVMe drive. :-)

So there is still an issue from within windows (that wasn't there on my earlier backups) maybe a windows update has done this? I'm not sure.

The good news is that I am able to continue with what I am doing.

Regards

Stu

Attachment Size
570713-213681.jpg 173.33 KB
Legend

Stu, I have to say that I never use the option to do any Windows recovery from within Windows with the restart into the Linux based recovery environment.

I have just done a successful recovery to a new NVMe M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD which I will document in detail in the other forum topic: ATI 2021 and Restore Entire PC on HP Probook 450 G4 - that I have been dealing with longer.