Skip to main content

Failed to read the snapshot. (0x10C45A) CRC error. (0x100155)

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 10

Funny...

luckily i was able to recover my system on wednesday from a backup. yesterday acronis told me, it can not find version 1 of that backup while backing up... i therefore formated the external hdd and wanted to start a new backup job.

now I always get the message "... section xyz... Failed to read the snapshot. (0x10C45A) CRC error. (0x100155)".

no matter which external disk i connect and start any new job, i get the same section number and error-message...

i clicked "ignore all" and got a validated backup...
clicking "ignore all" is ok, but actually i thought i bought a serious backup software, not to have problems like this...

does anybody now what to do?

Thanks in advance!

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner

PS: of course i allready checked the disk - windows (7) says its fine...

Forum Star
Comments: 3768

Where is the backup, what type of device, and how is that device connected to your PC? You haven't said, so I'll have to make some guesses.

Validation failure is often due to hardware issues. To troubleshoot, see Grover's backup and restore guides http://forum.acronis.com/forum/29618 and http://kb.acronis.com/content/1517

From an administrative command prompt, run chkdsk /r on each partition of the internal drive, and on the external HD. If there are hidden partitions, assign letters to them so you can chkdsk.
Also run a drive checking utility from the drive manufacturer, as those sometimes catch errors missed by chkdsk.

Don't connect via a hub, a port in a monitor, or a USB extension cord, etc. Connect the external drive directly to a USB port on the rear of the computer case.

And, USB 3 drives may require more power than your older port can consistently deliver.

Legend
Comments: 28256

Max, in addition to the advise above from Tuttle, from what you have told us, you have a backup task that was pointed at your external drive and which gave you an error about not finding version 1, so you then reformatted the external drive?

What you in effect did by reformatting the drive is to invalidate all the information for your backup task that is held in the Acronis Database files, where it stores the unique identifier (UUID) for the drive, and the path and file name information for all the backup files created by the task.

This why you then got other failure messages because the information in the database no longer matched the drive information / files.

Should you need to do this again, then first use the option to Clone settings for your backup task, then remove the original task settings, which will then remove the related information from the database files.  Once that is done, you can then rename the cloned task as needed and start it off again after removing the original backup files, reformatting the drive, changing the destination folder etc.

Beginner

thank you both for your help!

i performed the chkdsk command now for the internal and external drive: no problems detected
the external drive is an Intenso 2,5" Memory Case - i checked the Intenso-HP but did not find any diskchecking software.

i started the Acronis True Image 2017 Install-file and repaired it.

i cleared the backup job with all its propertied and set up a new backup.

SAME PROBLEM AGAIN...

i also tried to create another backup job with another Intenso HDD - SAME PROBLEM AGAIN...

but there is another interesting thing: i started the backup job (fullbackup) and got that problem reports as discribed earlier... backup finished - e-mail: backup job successfull. validated the backup "manually" by clicking it right and the "validate"... sounds good...

i startet another fullbackup job on the same hdd.
no error reported... i repeated that procedere twice... and got exactly the same problems again...

what can i do?? can i be sure, the backup will work?
is it possible, that there is any crosslink with this problem to a nonstop-backup-job i set up two days ago (on another drive with another job, bit with the same version of acronis)??

Legend

Max, can you post the actual log files where you are getting these errors with a brand new backup task?

Can you also post a screen shot from Windows Disk Management showing both the drives that are involved in the backup task with all their partitions and sizes.

Beginner

diskmanager:

Attachment Size
407610-137587.png 74.14 KB
Beginner

the error message is always "blabla german... Failed to read the snapshot. (0x10C45A) CRC error. (0x100155)"

is that what you are talking about?

Legend

Max, can you try changing the Advanced options for your backup task as advised in KB 59440: Acronis True Image 2017: 'Snapshot for backup' option overview to use Acronis snapshot instead of the default of using VSS and see if you still get the error message or not?

Beginner

good morning! :)

yes... same error message again... :(

Beginner

wow! i got a message from windows "trueimage-monitor.exe" is not working properly... ??
is that something helpfull? is that correlated with my non stop backup task??

Legend

Max, if you are seeing the snapshot error message when using the Acronis snapshot method instead of VSS and then also see the TrueImageMonitor error too, I would recommend trying a Repair install of the product, which means just reinstalling it again over the top of what you already have - see if that will fix things?

Frequent Poster
Comments: 566

Max, I would suggest you running various tests and checks as described in my post https://forum.acronis.com/forum/129276#comment-408401

CRC errors are no good and usually mean hardware problems. Sooner you discover and correct them - less will be the potential impact of it on the system.

Regards,

Slava