Skip to main content

Failed to writed to DIsk - Recovery

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

As two Samsung SSD's didn't boot in my WIn 7 machine, I tried them in my WIn 10 Dell Laptop. First, I booted Acronis WInPE on my Win7 PC and wrote one SSD from a backup. Since my Win & PC is MBR only, the drive only booted in the laptop if I set it to legacy boot mode. But it worked. Darn, that SSD is fast compared to my 5200 rpm drive. Proves there's nothing wrong with the drives? Not wanting to have my laptop in legacy mode, I tried booting the rescue CD in the laptop (reset to UEFI mode) and rewriting thr Samsung SSD Now I get write errors. I stopped and ran a chkdsk/F on the SSD. No errors. I guess it's in the laptop environment. ? Well, I'm letting the restore go on, ignoring the errors.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26745

See my questions about the Samsung SSD in your other topic opened on this subject.

Not sure what you mean by now getting write errors?  In what context?

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi Steve, they were write error messages from Acronis. Happened with both Samsungs. I didn't save the log. When I ignored the errors, Acronis said the backup failed. However, I am OK now.

-I had created a backup of my Win 10 laptop on a USB hard drive using Acronis WinPE boot disk.
-I put the Samsung SSD in my Win 7 PC. Also attached the drive with the backup info.
-I then ran the WinPE boot on my Win 7 machine, which is legacy boot.
  1) First added the Samsung as a new drive and did it as a GPT drive.
  2) Recovered my laptop system to the Samsung. No write errors and it completed successfully.

Then I put the Samsung back into the laptop.I knew it would boot in legacy mode, but it didn't .But to my surprise, the BIOS saw a UEFI partition and when I booted in that mode, it worked! I verified later in disk management that the Samsung was indeed GPT.

I believe that I followed a similar procedure the first time I tried to restore the WIn10 data to this Samsung SSD, but I didn't add it first as a GPT drive, so Acronis defaulted to MBR? That created a drive that worked in the laptop, but only booted in legacy mode.

I had found there is a WIn10 command line procedure to convert the MBR drives to GPT.. Not sure if it worked with a C: drive but my plan was to try it. However, it's was not needed.

Good thing I had nothing better to do on a rainy day. I spent 10 hours on this. I still cannot get the other Samsung to restore/boot on Win 7, but I will erase it and send it back to amazon, with pristine packaging. It's probably still good for someone else.

So I still have the problem in that my Win 7 PC with legacy boot cannot write a Samsung SSD  drive that boots on that machine, but it will create a Samsung drive that boots on my WIn 10 UEFI laptop. It also works with other drives.

And I also have a problem that the WinPE boot disk cannot restore these drives on my Win10 laptop because of perceived write errors.

Oh well.

Legend
Comments: 26745

Harry, thanks for the update on this issue.  The partition format used for the target drive in any recovery or clone operation is determined by the BIOS boot mode used by either Windows or the Acronis Rescue Media.  This is covered in KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media with some images showing how this may look.

Difficult to say more about the SSD that wouldn't write to the Samsung SSD from Win 7 but if you are returning it to Amazon, then I guess that issue is now mute.