Skip to main content

Goodbye Acronis!

Thread needs solution
DCD
Beginner
Comments: 4

I have had nothing but issues with Acronis 2016 and then Acronis 2017 after upgrading to Windows 10. The only thing I can do reliably is create clones of disks - everything else is a crap shoot. I have spent countless hours researching solutions to the issues I have had, with litlle or no luck at all. Frustrating! Acronis was such a good tool for Windows 7.

Goodbye Acronis, I will miss you, but I don't use software out of sentiment, I use it because it works, and you "Acronis" are just too broke to work with Wiondows 10 reliably. Now I am consigning Acronis 2017 to the garbage heap and will use my new favorite (and working) Disk Imaging and Backup Software, Macrium Reflect - and there is a free version that does everything I need! This software is excellent. I tested imaging and restoring the image to a brand new, unitiliazed HD (a task that made Acronis throw up all over itself) and it worked LIKE A CHAMP! It also passed the restore image to same disk - that was the first test I did.

Recommend you try Macrium Reflect if you have unresolved problems with Acronis - I am sure you will be pleased!

1 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 978

I realize that one customer's (or 100 customers') success does not undo another customer's failure, but be aware that there are a number of us experiencing no problems with Acronis on Windows 10.  There are probably bugs that are severe for some users but the problems are configuration-specific and use-specific.

Also, be aware that Acronis True Image has functions that (last I knew) were not available in the free version of Macrium Reflect.  File/folder backup is not available in the free Macrium.  (It may be in the Pro version.)  That is important to some of use.  Backup via FTP is not available in the free Macrium.  That, too, is important to some of us.

I've done full drive recoveries using both products.  I did not find running either of them intuitively obvious.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I was a dedicated Acronis user for more than ten versions thru many more years... It saved me hundreds of hours of restoration efforts when something in my Windows system acted up.
I built an over-kill backup system around Acronis - Backups on the computer, on removable drives, in the safe and in the bank; dozens of them. I tested them and I felt rock-solid ! Then, after many similar restores, a couple of years ago i needed to restore my Windows system and Acronis would not accept ANY of the backups for restore; something to do with changes to the disk layout. So i added disk images to my backups - Disappointed but I continued with Acronis. Last month i decided to us Windows EFS encryption on my documents folder. I tested backup and restore may times without issue - I felt rock solid ! Wrong - While restoring my Windows system using the obscure Acronis boot disk interface I overlaid my Documents. I was not concerned; I had dozens of tested backups. I was able to restore the Documents folder easily - Only to discover that every file was blank!!! Unbelievable - Fortunately I had only started using EFS a month ago and so lost only a month of data. But I rarely restore documents, if I had not made the early mistake of overlaying the Documents it could have been years - I would have lost EVERYTHING !!!
That was the last straw- Tested backups failing me when needed... I have switched to Marcium Reflect 7 Home and have been testing it extensively for the past week - The user interface took some getting used to and now I am very happy with it!
So I say Adios Acronis :)
PS-
I have switched from EFS encryption to BitLocker; BitLocker is a far better/simpler solution for most...

Forum Star
Comments: 978

Micheal, I understand your frustration, but I'm not sure I follow your narrative.

a couple of years ago i needed to restore my Windows system and Acronis would not accept ANY of the backups for restore; something to do with changes to the disk layout.

Were you trying to restore using a back-level recovery medium?  That's unfortunate if true, but you might have been able to get around the problem with the Acronis downloadable recovery media.  But it sounds like you got around this problem somehow, anyway.

While restoring my Windows system using the obscure Acronis boot disk interface I overlaid my Documents

I don't understand this statement at all.  Are you saying that the documents folder in the recovered image was empty, or are you saying that you somehow overlaid the documents folder of a live system while trying to recover to some other target.  I assume you mean the former.  If so, I don't see how the Acronis boot disk interface could have anything to do with the missing documents folder.  Was this the only folder missing?

I was able to restore the Documents folder easily - Only to discover that every file was blank!!!

Are you saying that the directory had the files in them, but the files were empty?  Or are you saying that the directory was empty?  I have no idea how EFS works.  Is it possible that encryption got in the way of the backup, or of your readin the restored files.  That's a feeble guess on my part, but it seems like you could do a little more checking before totally giving up on Acronis.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4953

Michael Larimore wrote:

I was able to restore the Documents folder easily - Only to discover that every file was blank!!! Unbelievable - Fortunately I had only started using EFS a month ago and so lost only a month of data. 

Dear Michael, 

I'm really sorry to know that you've encountered this issue with recovery of EFS encrypted data.. The fix for this issue was introduced in Acronis True Image 2019 and shouldn't reproduce on the latest builds.