Skip to main content

How to rename some recent *.tib file names

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 66

Until very recently Acronis has been building backup files in the standard format (COMPUTER NAME_(full/inc)_b##_s##_v##.tib

For some reason the naming convention of backup files changed and Acronis is no longer deleting old files, to keep the backup space under control.  I am on the verge of no longer saving backups because of limited disk space.

Will Acronis allow me to:

(1) change the name of existing backup files back to standard format

(2) ensure that new files are following the standard format

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16432

For some reason the naming convention of backup files changed and Acronis is no longer deleting old files, to keep the backup space under control.  I am on the verge of no longer saving backups because of limited disk space.

Will Acronis allow me to:

(1) change the name of existing backup files back to standard format

(2) ensure that new files are following the standard format

If the normal name format for your backup files has changed then this would suggest that perhaps the internal database that records the file names has been corrupted in some way or else the associated script (.tib.tis) file for the backup task.

In either situation, I would recommend using the option to 'Clone settings' for your backup task and using this to create a new backup task using a different / unique task name, then running this new task, ideally to a different folder on your backup drive.

Once the new / cloned task is running, remove the old task from the ATI GUI without deleting any backup files if you want to keep these until the new task is established.  Removing the settings will allow you to manually clean up unwanted older backup .tib files to make room for your new backups.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7485

What did the name and format change to?

Original and now... ?

Forum Member
Comments: 66

The original file name format was:

COMPUTER NAME_(full/inc)_b###_s###_v###.tib

After I performed a bare metal restore with Acronis, a recently used b### was used in subsequent backup file names, which forced the system to add an additional digit to the end of the file name to ensure the uniqueness of the backup file names: 

COMPUTER NAME_(full/inc)_b###_s###_v### - #.tib

That in itself is not a big deal, but with this new format previous backup files are not being deleted when the archiving retain limits are reached.  I was thinking of just deleting the past few backup files with the undesirable file name format and hope that the new file name format gets back in line with the original file name format.

Legend
Comments: 16432

After I performed a bare metal restore with Acronis = significant factor here!

The v1-2 is described in the ATI 2019 User Guide where it says:

If you are creating a new backup, and there is already a file with the same name, the program does not delete the old file, but adds to the new file the "-number" suffix, for example, my_documents_inc_b2_s2_v1-2.tib.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7485

Usually occurs when a NAS drops network connection, or a computer is backing up over wifi and loses sync, or if the external drive has a faulty or underpowered USB port where the drive spins down during backup.  Basically, in those situations, the previous, but unfinished .tib is still there, but since it disconnected, it did not complete and Acronis trys to do the same backup again. 

It can also happen if you recover from a backup and .tib files that were created AFTER a point in time the backup was made are already there.  It then recreates them following the same backup scheme / name, but has to append a number to it since the file already exists.