Skip to main content

How to run automatically a failed backup as soon as the external hard drive is connected

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 20

I remember that there was an option to set ATI to retry a backup into an external hd as soon as the destination drive is connected, if the previous backup failed because the drive was not connected at scheduled time.
Now I can't find anymore this option into backup settings.
I can only find the option "start when the destination device is connected" in advanced options, but this doesn't specify "if the previous backup failed because the device was not connected" and even if I check this option and during past days a backup was failed, no backup start automatically when I switch on the external box until the next scheduled backup.
I'm sure of this because till some week ago, if I forgot to switch on the external box before a scheduled backup and the backup failed, as soon I switch on the external hd, a backup started automatically apart from any scheduled time.
I'm pretty sure this option disappeared at the same time that the problem of losing backup settings occurred, that is about from October 22...
Anyone has noticed the same problem or can tell me where to find this setting again?
thanks.
Fabrizio

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26717

Fabrizio, do you have a backup of your OS drive from before Oct 22nd when the settings were reset?  If yes, then open the backup in Explorer and copy the contents of the C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts folder to a temporary location on your computer (NOT to the original location).

Those .tib.tis files in the folder hold most of the settings for your backup tasks except for Scheduling, so you should be able to compare the old .tib.tis file for your task with the new one for the existing task in the GUI.  This may help you to identify what is different now?

See the ATI 2017 User Guide: Scheduling page for details of all the available options, including those in the Advanced section for running a missed task at startup.

Forum Member

Hi Steve... the problem is not about a setting that doesn't work, but that the setting is not present anymore in ATI windows.

I don't remember if it was a single job's setting or a general setting but it seems to be something "above" a single job... that's to say that when the destination device is connected, ATI check backups status and if there are one or more failed backups during last scheduled time, ATI automatically launch the corrisponding job.

I've checked the scripst you said in a old backup but there aren't significant differences between newer jobs.

Legend

Fabrizio, can you share exactly what you are doing and expect to happen here?

What type of backup, how often is it scheduled to run?

What used to happen previously if the drive wasn't connected and you reconnected it?
Was the drive simply unplugged or powered off?

I am just trying to understand if I can test this myself using my own USB external drive?

Note: I am running ATI 2020 and don't have access to a system with 2017 for testing (as am currently away from base) so any results would be from 2020 and how it deals with this scenario.

Forum Member

Hi Steve ... then, I can tell you that the type of backup is not a fundamental element because I have several backup sets, incremental, decremental, daily, twice a week, weekly, fortnightly and everyone has the problem I said, that is the recovery of a failed backup no longer occurs.

Let's take an example of the system disk backup that is set to run decrementally twice a week, Monday and Thursday at 11.00am.

I have an external USB drive that I have to turn on manually. If the disk is not turned on on Monday at 11am, the backup fails. If I turn on the disk on Monday afternoon, or on Tuesday, or at any time before the next scheduled backup, ATI acknowledged that the last backup had failed and immediately started an automatic backup to recover the missing one despite the next being scheduled for Thursday at 11am.
When at 11am on Monday the USB disk is turned on, the backup is performed regularly, so if Tuesday I turn on the external disk, no backup will start because the last one programmed has ended correctly and the next one is scheduled for Thursday.

Now if at 11 am on Monday the backup fails because the USB disk is off, when I turn on the disk on Monday afternoon, or on Tuesday, or on Wednesday, no automatic recovery backup starts, but only the scheduled backup on Thursday starts.

I remember that there was an apposite parameter to do this, but I don't remember if it was a single job's parameter or a general ATI parameter and now I can't find out this setting anymore.

Legend

Fabrizio, please check the bottom option in the Advanced Schedule settings is enabled for your backup task.

Forum Member

Hi Steve ... here is the option I was referring to: is the last of the screenshot you attached "run missed operations when an external device is connected" but it is no longer available in the advanced options of my ATI as you can see in my screenshot.

I also point out to you that the last option, the one with the minutes box (the penultimate for you), says "run at system startup with a delay" and not "run missed operations at system startup with a delay" ... even if this could be just a localizazion problem... 

The "wake up sleeping/hybertaing computer" may be an improvement of newer version of ATI, but the option that interests me "run missed operations when an external device is connected" that before was available in ATI 2017, now is no longer available.

Legend

Fabrizio, the only similar option mentioned in the ATI 2017 User Guide under Scheduling is as below:

If you schedule a backup to a USB flash drive or validation of a backup that is located on a USB flash drive, one more check box appears: Run when the current device is attached. Selecting the check box will let you perform a missed operation when the USB flash drive is attached if it was disconnected at the scheduled time.

Se viene pianificato un backup in un'unità flash USB o la convalida di un backup che si trova in un'unità flash USB, verrà visualizzata un'ulteriore casella di controllo: Esegui quando la periferica corrente è collegata. Selezionando questa casella di controllo sarà possibile effettuare un'operazione non eseguita quando l'unità flash USB è collegata, se era scollegata al momento pianificato.  

You should have the external USB drive connected before launching ATI to see if that brings more options?

Forum Member

Ok, sorry... it was only due to the usb device off.

With the usb device on, the option appears and is unchecked: another setting lost from last update on october 22...

Many thanks.