[How to] uninstall a previous installation
Dear Acronis Community,
These instructions have been written by our experienced MVPs to cover cases, where a standard uninstallation of Acronis software is not possible (fails or the software is not uninstalled completely).
Note: Acronis components can be removed via Add or Remove programs (Start -> Control Panel) for Windows XP or Program and Features (Start -> Control Panel) for Windows Vista and Windows 7/8/10.
You can also uninstall the product using the EXE installation file: run the installation file of the product that you want to uninstall and select the option Remove.
If the product fails to be removed using the above methods, then proceed with the below instructions.
How to uninstall and cleanup a previous installation
1. Download Acronis Scheduler Manager from
2. Right-click the Acronis Scheduler Manager .exe you downloaded, and select "Run as administrator". In the black application window that opens, type "task zap" (without the quotation marks) and hit Enter. This should delete all Acronis scheduled tasks.
3. If you have Acronis Startup Recovery Manager activated or have Acronis Secure Zone, deactivate and remove them by following instructions here https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668
4. In Windows, Control Panel | Programs and Features, select Acronis True Image and choose to remove it.
5. Download the Acronis Cleanup Utility from
5. Right-click the Cleanup Utility .exe you downloaded, and select "Run as administrator".
Follow the instructions on https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668 starting with step # 2.
When the Cleanup Utility completes its work, you will be asked to reboot the PC. Do NOT let it reboot at this point, so press N to answer "no".
Follow the steps on that page to use Regedit to delete various strings from the Registry.
6. After using Cleanup Utility and Regedit, check for leftover directories using Windows File Explorer (some of these are hidden folders so you must enable "show hidden files, folders and drives") and delete them if they exist:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common\Acronis
- C:\Program Files\Acronis
- C:\Program Files\Common\Acronis
(Reboot, not Shutdown, as in Windows 10, fastboot may be enabled and you need to reboot to trigger a full shutdown instead of hibernation.)
8. Temporarily disable Anti-virus programs.
9. Find the installer you downloaded for the new version of Acronis True Image. Right-click the installer and select "Run as administrator". Follow the instructions to install.
Ekaterina Surkova | Forum Moderator
Information provided AS-IS with no warranty of any kind.
To contact support, please follow http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support