Skip to main content

The Last Backup Stopped by User

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Just upgraded to ATI2017 after painfully dealing with 2016 and the dreaded "can't find the first backup set" error that I got on both my laptop and desktop almost monthly.  Now 2017 will not backup.  Keeps telling me "The Last Backup Stopped by User".  Tried updating and rebooting to no avail.  Appreciate any help.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8343

John, I would create a new backup job and see how it behaves.  If it works, delete the original backup job... you don't have to delete the actual backup files associated with it though (unless you want to).  That may be the simplest method as the backup job itself may have a problem.

If you had problems in 2016 and "upgraded" to 2017, you may have just inherited the original issues.  Sometimes, starting "fresh" is not a bad idea.  If the fix above doesn't help, consider runnign the Acronis cleanup tool, reboot to complete the registry changes, download the full 2017 installer from your account and install using the right-click and "run as administrator" option (even if logged in as an admin already).  IF you do run the cleanup too, just be prepared to create new backup tasks and start with a new one and a unique name (don't use an old one if you leave the old backup files accessible to the system).  Cleanup tool in in my signature below - it will work with 2017 even though it says for 2016 right now. 

Beginner

Thanks Bobbo!  Its working just fine now!

Forum Hero
Comments: 8343

Excellent!  Very glad to hear that thigngs seem to be on track again. 

Beginner

This did nothing for me. I'm still getting the error. I'm buying something else that works.

Legend
Comments: 22850

Bobby, welcome to these user forums.

This is your first post according to your profile but you have given no background to the problem you are seeing.

Was this your first install of an Acronis True Image product, or did you have an earlier version installed before installing ATIH 2017?

Have you looked at the log files for the task that you were attempting to perform?  The Log File Viewer from the link in my signature can help show the log file contents for ATIH 2017 upto build 5554 (not for New Generation).

Beginner
Comments: 11

I suffered a painful loss of data to Acronis earlier this year so I've been paranoid about its reliability ever since.  Now it's started telling me that *I* aborted the last backup.

The very nature of backup software is supposed to be to provide peace of mind.  Acronis does anything but.  I don't need backup software that stresses me out with meaningless errors, logs that you need a third party external viewer to access (btw the log really says nothing other than blaming me for cancelling the backup.) and a UI that I find 100% counter intuitive.

I've persevered and tried very hard to stick with this line of products for a decade or so but that's it - the camel's back is broken - I just advertised a task to rip it off every machine I have and it's going in the bin.

The MVPs here have been a ton of help, I hope you guys are on a payroll for it, you sure deserve to be.    The company's tried to be supportive too, but you can only do so much to provide support when the fundamental product you're selling has flaws that undermine its basic purpose.

I'm off to find a solid backup solution that works RELIABLY and has the basic capability to let me know when something's gone wrong.

Cheers - Signing off for the last time :)

Legend

Cody, thanks for the kind words about the MVP's trying to help - we are not on any payroll, just volunteers and users like yourself and others.

Sorry that this problem has been the final straw for you, and wish you all the best in finding a solution that meets your needs and provides the reliability that you need.

Beginner
Comments: 13

I am suddenly having the same problem. EVERY ONE of my 5 backups, whether to mountable media or internal is reporting that *I* stopped the backup, which is nonsense. I have been using Acronis for 10 years and this has not been a problem. I just manually ran one and it worked fine. How can I find out what's going on? I'm using Acronis TI 2020.

I also just noticed that it is trying to run the backup at 9:30PM, but it was scheduled to run at 8:30AM. AND it tries to run AGAIN at 11:59PM when my system is about to shutdown (scheduled in Task Scheduler).

Legend

DocDJ, the place to look is in the logs for your backup tasks.

There is a new log viewer tool that has now been made available by Acronis via the Community Tools KB page.  See the link in my signature for the MVP Assistant tool.

If you have Disks & Partitions backups created on ATI 2020 or later using .tibx files, then look in the Backup Worker logs.

If you have Files & Folders backups using .tib files (or Disk backup using same) then look in the Demon logs.

Note: this forum is for ATI 2017 and this topic untouched for 3.5 years - please post in the ATI 2020 Forum if you need further help.