Skip to main content

Moving from HDD to SSD

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

hello there

i am using true image 2017. earlier this day, i tried to move my windows which is in a 1tb disk(c: is a 330gb partition but mostly empty so actual data can fit in ssd), to a 240gb ssd. ati weirdly went back 2 months on my incremental backup instead of todays and renamed the ssd but didnt recover any data to it.

should i use the cloning function ? i encountered wrongly partitioned ssd(way smaller than what should it be). so i tried to run recovery mode, choose the ssd as the target drive and went on. but nothing happened except the earlier mentioned renaming. how can i solve this problem ?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26745

Emre, welcome to these public User Forums.

Please ensure that you have a good full disk backup of your current, working HDD drive before attempting any clone operation.

Backup & Recovery is an alternative to using Cloning and should also be a safer method as you would remove the HDD and install the SSD when doing the Recovery, so that the HDD is kept away from any danger of corruption, errors etc.

This type of migration should be performed by using the Acronis Rescue Media, not started from within Windows.

Key actions that you need to take:

1.  Identify how your Windows OS boots from the BIOS.

See webpage: BIOS Mode - See if Windows Boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode

2.  Create and test that you know how to boot from the Acronis Rescue Media.

See KB 59184: Acronis True Image 2017: How to create a WinPE-based bootable media

Also KB 59194: Acronis True Image 2017: How to check if the computer is running 32 or 64-bit UEFI?

Finally, also see forum topic: Important change for Advanced Acronis Media Builder starting with Windows 10 1809

The latter forum topic deals with changes to how Microsoft is now distributing the Windows ADK used for Windows PE media as 2 separate downloads / installs. 
The Windows 10 ADK can be used with Windows 7, 8 and 10 OS.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

3.  Run a CHKDSK /F on your source HDD drive partitions to ensure that there are no file systems issues. Important if you decide to use Cloning.

4.  If you do decide to use Cloning, instead of using Recovery, then remove the HDD and replace it by the new SSD drive, and connect the HDD as an external drive to use as the Source drive for the clone operation, with the SSD as the Target drive while booting from the Acronis Rescue Media.