Skip to main content

New backup completely fails after creation

sim
Forum Member
Comments: 35

I was going to begin a second backup routine on a pc that has been doing full/diff for several years. I created a full/incremental backup using Folders and Files. It failed at the first attempted full backup. The error message was 0x000B03E9 "backup is stopped, cannot open the backup" but I found nothing useful about what that means.

I noticed that ati was reporting that 3.5 tb were selected for backup; that's way more than what I selected.

I rebooted and that backup now says "disks and partitions" not files and folders. Clicking on the source button brings up

"The given URI is empty" and error 0x00260001

There is nothing on that error in the kb.

I'll delete this backup and try again but...how could it fail with this simple task? Sure gives me confidence in the product (joke), which I had just decided to trust with an additional task.

Legend
Comments: 14520

Sim, certainly an odd problem here, and not one that I have seen reported in these forums.

If you haven't already got it, please download the MVP Log Viewer tool from the Community Tools link in my signature.  This is the best method of seeing what is happening with the backup task.

sim
Forum Member

I believe I did check with the log viewer. In any case, I dropped and recreated the backup and all is well. Thank you.

Legend

Glad to hear all was OK after recreating the task, thanks for the update.

sim
Forum Member

This just happened again. I started experimenting with the file and directory backup again. After the initial config, the first backup failed just like before:

The error message was 0x000B03E9 "backup is stopped, cannot open the backup" but I found nothing useful about what that means.

I noticed that ati was reporting that 3.5 tb were selected for backup; that's way more than what I selected.

I rebooted and that backup now says "disks and partitions" not files and folders. Clicking on the source button brings up

"The given URI is empty" and error 0x00260001

And in another thread I reported that a side effect of this was that my main acronis backup, which is the only thing on another external drive, was completely blown away.

If it's true was Steve reported, that this is a unreported pattern of misbehavior to ATI, it means it's probably not patched in ATI 2017 or 18. I'm still on 2016, and have 2017. I'll update to 2017, and see what happens. But these are really really huge failures, and seem to be completely reproducable. It does not give me confidence in ATI.

Legend

Steve wrote:

Sim, certainly an odd problem here, and not one that I have seen reported in these forums.

This looks (to me) to be some form of corruption in either the ATI application or in the backup task information.  Doing either a Repair install, or making a completely Clean install of ATI 2016 or 2017 will resolve this issue unless there are some other issues in the Windows OS or disk file system which are contributing to the issue.

I have been using ATI almost daily for a very long time and have never seen such an issue with any of the many versions I have used.

sim
Forum Member

Hi Steve

I will take your advice and do a fresh install of ati 2017. I supposed I should recreate the backup jobs that are currently operative, and start with completely new backups. In my case I don't think that'll be too difficult.

After "fixing" the major issues that resulted from initiating the new file and folder backup, both jobs are running ok. Still I will reinstall and see if the two jobs have a smoother start.