Skip to main content

Oddity!

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 19

My C: drive contains 120 GB and my Recovery partition holds 10 GB, but the main screen on ATI 17 shows "Entire PC, 164.9 GB of data selected".  Where did the extra 35 GB come from?

FWIW, ATI 16 always showed the correct amount of data selected.  Additionally, the backups are fine so there is no problem . . . just an oddity!  :)

Later . . . I just changed the "Performance Operation Priority" from Low to Normal, now the data selected is accurate.  Go figure!

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Member

Hummm, it's showing 164.9 again and I've made no changes to the ATI parameters.  What's going on?

Legend
Comments: 26737

Bill, it does seem quite odd that the amount of data selected should change based on the performance priority, I can only assume that it was being 'lazy' in the calculation given it was allowed less resources, and being given more resource time the calculation was improved / more accurate.  Strange!

Forum Hero
Comments: 8348

If you map to the backup location in Windows file explorer and check properties - what does that size show?  "entire pc" backups may contain backups of other drives, other than just the C: drive - any chance there is more in the backup than you're expecting?  I never use "entire pc" for this reason and always do a "disk and parition" backup to make sure that my backup only will backup the specific drive selected. 

Forum Member

According to "Disk Management" I have about 88 GB in my C: and Recovery partitions combined.  How do I tell ATI 2017 to do a "disk and parition" backup only?

Forum Hero
Comments: 8348

You'd have to create a new backup task.  When selecting the source, hover the mouse over the first "source" window that is listed as "entire pc" and you'll be able to click on it and either choose "disks and partitions" or "files and folders".

The total size shown in Acronis is the size of all combined backups for that task, not what's in disk management.  That's why I'd use explorer to check the properties of your backup .tib folder to see how big it says it is.  As long as you haven't manually moved backups or deleted them from within Windows file explorer, the total size there should be pretty close to what Acronis is reporting. 

Forum Member

That worked, the numbers agree now!

Thanks for the help . . .