Skip to main content

Restore from VHDX Windows image backup?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

ATI 2016 has the ability to restore from VHD files created by Windows image backup.

But in Win 10, image backups use VHDX format, which ATI 2016 does not support. Has this capability been added to ATI 2017?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17545

Lennysz, welcome to these user forums.

Sorry but as far as I am aware, the ability to restore from VHD files was last found in ATIH 2014 and was removed from later versions because Microsoft switched from using VHD to VHDX in Windows 7 and later.

There is no capability in any current ATIH product to restore from VHDX, and this includes 2017.

Please see KB document: 3648: Restoring Windows 7 VHD Backup Files with Acronis True Image Home which described the process for VHD restore for 2014 and earlier.

See also forum post: 100401: Converting an Acronis 2016 image file to *.vhd or restore a *.tib as a virtual machine which may offer some ideas of an alternative approach.

Beginner
Comments: 1

ATIH 2016 will find and show me old .vhd files as available sources for recovery. So it looks like the support for reading VHD files wasn't entirely ripped out.

Unfortunately, for the partition I'm trying to recover, I have a VHDX created by Windows Image Backup and no recent ATIH image backup (yeah, my fault). So I used the Hyper-V management GUI on Win 10 pro to convert my VHDX file to VHD format. I then tried to restore that VHD file using ATIH 2016. Unfortunately ATIH 2016 complained that the VHD file wasn't created by ATIH or Windows Image Backup.

I was hoping that perhaps ATIH 2017 would facilitate this, but from your response it seems not.

Beginner
Comments: 2

When will Acronis support restoring VHDX files created by Win 10?

Acronis 2019 seems only support restoring VHD files.

Legend
Comments: 17545

Andy, welcome to these public User Forums.

If you have ATI 2019 then I would recommend opening a Support Case direct with Acronis to ask about support for restoring VHDX files created outside of ATI.  There is no support as far as I am aware but they would be able to give a definitive answer.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4627

Hello Everyone,

Clarified the topics with RnD - Acronis True Image officially supports only operations listed in the chapter Working with .vhd(x) files  Using .VHD and .VHDX as a source for recovery task in the product is not supported. 

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hello,

restoring VHD-files works without problems with Acronis True Image 2019:

But when you try to restore a VHDX file an error message appears:

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4627

Hello Andy,

Currently Acronis True Image does not officially support both recovery of .VHD and .VHDX. Some operations might work, but we do not grantee the successful recovery and integrity of the recovered image.