Skip to main content

size of backups

Beginner
Comments: 13

Hi Friends,

I'm using Acronic True Image 2017, on Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.  I have selected a disk backup using single version scheme.  According to the help files, that means the first backup that you do backs up the entire system.  Then all the backups after that simply overwrite the things that have changed since the first backup.  I have been using the help files, and trying to learn and understand, but so far I haven't found this answer.

On the backup page, it shows Entire Computer is being backed up to my external hard drive.  It shows 91.4 gb of data ready to be backed up.  When I made the first backup, it showed only 30-something gb of data was backed up (in the top-right corner of the main backup page).  So I wasn't sure if I actually had backed up the whole computer -- with an image, right, isn't that what it's supposed to be?

Now I've done a 2nd backup, and now it's showing that backup was 63.4 gb.  So what does this mean?  Should I just keep running backups one after the other until it finally gets the whole 91 gb?  Or else what's happening with these numbers?

Thank you very much,

brynn

Forum Hero
Comments: 9172
mvp

Brynn, if you are using a single version scheme then this just means that you will only create full backup images where each new successful full backup file will then result in the previous file to be deleted, so that you only have one actual backup file.  You should see a graphic on the Backup Scheme page showing this process when you select this type of scheme.

There is no overwriting of any backups being done with this scheme - each backup file is a full backup that contains a snapshot of your computer as it was at that particular point in time.

If you are using the default 'Entire PC' option for the source data selection, then this can show all and any drives / partitions that are connected to your system at that time.  This is one reason why I prefer to click on the Source panel and select using Disks & Partitions where I then further select only the disk that I want to include in the backup.

The size of data shown with 'Entire PC' can also include your backup drive with its backup image files.  A more accurate reading is to use the option for the backup task to 'Open location' and look at the actual size of the .TIB files found there. 

There are a number of reasons why your backup files will be significantly smaller than the total size potentially shown, a number of very large files are excluded by default, i.e. pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, swapfile.sys as is also the System Volume Information folder structure - none of which are essential for recovery as get rebuild by Windows.

Beginner

Thanks Steve.

I would like to look up the info you've given me.  But unfortunately, now when I click on Options button, I get an error message, with the following code:

0x00AC0041+0x00AC0040+0x01AF0006+0x01AF0005+0x00040007+0x0000FF

I tried looking it up at the address given in the the error message, but the search returns no results.

Regarding your comment about not overwriting, I would like to point out that's exactly what I read in the Help files on this page:  file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Acronis/TrueImageHome/Help/help/en/index.html#10804.html

"The program creates a full backup version and overwrites it every time according to the specified schedule or when you run the backup manually."

I don't think the gb reported under Entire PC includes the backup drive, because now that I'm not connected to it, it still shows 91.something gb.  But until I can fix that error message, I can't open the Options to look at Open Location.

Will I need to post on a different board, to get help with that error message?  I wonder if it would work if I just enter each code separately?

Thanks again :-)

PS - the Preview feature seems to be broken - been trying to see a preview all day.  Now I'll just cross fingers and try Save button.

Edit - Quote doesn't seem to work either.  Using old fashioned quotation marks instead.

Forum Hero
mvp

Brynn, the error messages are a real pain as there is no obvious explanation for them in any documentation available to users.  I would hope the developers would know what they mean but that would require opening a Support Case to try to get an answer.

Do you have the option to try to Validate your backup task - if you do, then try that but if that either fails or isn't available, I would suggest making a whole new backup task.  The Validate option is shown in the drop-down menu given after clicking on the (V) to the right of the task name.

Beginner

Ok, I tried Validate, but it gives "Cannot find version 2".  I have no idea what "version 2" is.  But it also says "click Browse and specify the location".

When I click Browse, find the folder and click on it, it puts the path in the field at the top.  But in the bottom-right corner, there is only the Cancel button.  The Add button is grayed out.

So when I click Cancel, there's another message box that says "Failed to open" and it gives a TIB file name.  When I click on Details, it gives the same or very similar error code as before.  So I'm back where I started.

OH!!  But now, Options opens as before!  Now what was it you asked me....??  Oh ok, you didn't ask, you answered.

You said that a graphic on the Backup Scheme page will explain Single Version Scheme.  Unfortunately, it just shows some kind progress indicator which never gets to the end.  I guess it can't load the graphic or something?

You said:

" If you are using the default 'Entire PC' option for the source data selection, then this can show all and any drives / partitions that are connected to your system at that time.  This is one reason why I prefer to click on the Source panel and select using Disks & Partitions where I then further select only the disk that I want to include in the backup."

I do have Entire PC option.  But I can't seem to find a Source panel.  I remember a choice somewhere between "something" or "disk and partitions" but I don't remember the "something" or what I chose.  And I can't seem to find it now.  I tried setting up a new backup, to try and retrace my steps, but I still don't find it.  Where is the Source panel?

Trying to find out for myself how large the backup is, I used Windows Explorer to look at the external hd free and used space.  I noticed that Acronis tells me there are 3 tb free space out of 3 tb.  But that can't be right!  My bu drive is only 1.75 tb.  So twice I've clicked on Destination and selected the proper folder.  But it keeps telling me I have 3 tb of free space!  Is a restart necessary or something?

Thanks again :-)

Forum Hero
mvp

Brynn, if validation is giving you messages about not finding version x, then it is saying that the information held in the Acronis Database about your backup task doesn't match the actual files held on your backup destination drive.

When you get those 'cannot find version...' messages, then click on the option to Ignore the error rather than browse to try to find the missing file.  This will update the database to say that version file is no longer present and it will then look for the next file it has information on.  You may need to repeat the ignore process a few times!

The graphic on the Backup Scheme page is a very simple animated GIF which just shows the process involved for each different backup scheme, so for a single version scheme, it shows the first file being created, then the next but immediately followed by the first file being deleted and the second file moved left to be the only file, then this just repeats over and over.

The Source panel is where 'Entire PC' is shown, this is where you would need to click in order to see the further options that lay beyond that first default option.

Can you post some screen shots for your backup file where you say Explorer is saying it is 3TB but where you are saying the drive is only 1.75TB in size?

Please also post a screen shot of what is shown in Windows Disk Management for the same drive.  Type diskmgmt.msc to open the disk management console.

Beginner

Ok, I have a couple of screenshots, but I don't see any way to attach them.  Referring to the screenshots below:

#1 - Ok, so today, the Destination area is showing the correct size, but I'm pretty sure I know why it was showing the wrong size before.  The other day, when I first opened Acronis, I had a different drive connected to the computer (to do a different backup).  But even after I switched to the drive I wanted to use (disconnected the other one, connected the correct one) (the same one I used for the last Acronis backup), it did not change to the size for the currently connected drive.  And even after 3 times I tried to set it to the proper destination, it did not switch to the correct drive. 

But by now, a couple of days later (a few restarts, etc.) it is showing the correct drive is connected (although I still don't think it's showing the correct size, see more below).  That would seem to me to be a bug, that when I physically disconnect one drive and connect the other, that the destination does not reset to the currently connected drive.  And especially if I reset it 3 times (by clicking "Change Destination").  Possibly restarting Acronis would have worked, but I didn't think of trying that the other day.

#2 - Please see the screenshot of Windows Explorer showing the contents of the drive (free space vs used space)  It shows that there is 63.3 GB of data on the drive.  But the Destination box in Acronis shows 1.8 or 1.8 TB free.  I can't do the calculation for how many TB = 63.3 GB, but it seems like it ought to have some effect on the amount of free space.

#3 - Still trying to find that Source panel :-)

Omgoodness, I've never seen attachments connected to the button to insert images!  And I've already gone and uploaded them :-(

Hmmm, not sure if you'll be able to see the first one.  As I see it in the message editor, the left half appears to be cut off.  Aarrggh - I'll just give you the links.

https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/ss/acr0.png -- Acronis window

https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/ss/acr1.png -- Windows Explorer drive Properties

https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/ss/acr2.png -- disk management window

Thanks again

Forum Hero
mvp

Brynn, thanks for the screen images and further information.

If you have connected different backup drives then it seems that Acronis can get confused and not show correct information about drive capacity / free space if it was open when the drive was swapped which may explain why you may have seen 3TB for the 1.8TB drive, but this doesn't explain why ATI is saying 1.8TB out of 1.8TB free when you have used approximately 3% of the drive space for your 68GB backup?

To show images in your post, you click on the top right icon (landscape & moon or sun) then upload the image you want to embed in the text then select it.  Wider images tend to be distorted a little to fit in the available space!

If clicking on the Source panel does not work then this suggests that there is either something gone wrong with the task configuration script, or else with the application, as clicking on the left panel should then offer you further choices for that data, and just hovering the mouse over the left panel should cause it to change to show 'Change Source'.  See images below.

2017-10-06 17_30_57-Acronis True Image 2018.png

2017-10-06 17_31_46-Acronis True Image 2018.png

Forum Hero
mvp

Note: the images posted are from ATI 2018 but the principle remains the same for earlier versions too.

You can test whether this is an issue with the task configuration script by using the option to 'Clone settings' for the problem backup task which will create a duplicate task using the same name but prefixed by (1) - you can then test to see if that behaves correctly with regards to hovering the mouse or selecting the Source data.

If the cloned task still gives the same issue, then you should consider doing a Repair install of ATI 2017 - this is done by downloading the latest build full installer from your Acronis account and installing over the top of your current software.

Beginner

No, neither mousing over or right-clicking on Entire PC causes Change Source to be displayed.  Nothing happens either way.

After using Clone Settings, how long should I wait before testing.  It seemed to work immediately after I clicked it.  But it does show the same problem.

I wonder if deleting that job and setting up a new backup task would fix it?  Hhm, that might be easier said than done.  When I try to delete, it indicates that it's going to delete the backup files too.  Maybe just start a new routine?

Ok yes, when I just added a new backup, it's showing me the Change Source!  Could I use the 2nd backup, with the same settings as the old one?

Or maybe I'll just keep using the old one.  Because now that I see the options in Change Source, I still would choose Entire PC.  Although that wouldn't solve the wrong free space display.

What's the easiest way to do this?  Just start over with a new backup?

Forum Hero
mvp

Brynn, couple of comments:  when deleting your backup task, you should be given several options, i.e. to delete everything (task and files) or to just remove the task from the list in the GUI.

If adding a new backup resolves the issue of not being able to hover over / change the Source selection, then it is probably the easiest route to take.  Create a new backup to do what the original one was doing, but give it a new, unique name so that there is no mix up with the old backup files, and/or store the backup in a different target folder.

It is difficult to comment further on the wrong free space information without taking the above action and running the new backup task to see what is shown at that point?

Beginner

Ok, I've created a new backup routine, identical to the first one.  Although I haven't run a backup yet.  (Didn't delete the old one yet either.)  In this case, I can see "Change Source" when mousing over "Entire PC".  However, even though I chose the same folder as before, it still is showing 1.8 tb out of 1.8 tb free (when we know it already contains the last backup).

I made some screenshots to show:

ac1.png -- This shows what I see if I choose the Seagate drive, when choosing destination.  Shows 1.8 tb out of 1.8 tb

ac2.png -- This shows choosing a specific folder for the destination.

ac3.png -- This shows after I choose the specific folder.  Still shows 1.8 tb out of 1.8 tb

ac4.png -- This is Windows Explorer showing the contents of that folder.

I suppose it could be something about the drive itself which isn't allowing or providing the proper info for available space.  I wonder if I connect....on no, I already did that the other day.  I had a different drive connected when I first started this thread, and it was not showing the proper info for that drive either.  And they are very different drives!

If it were one drive and not the other, I would probably think the problem was with the drive.  But since both are producing the same problem, I tend to think the problem is with Acronis.

Well, I chose the Notification option, to be notified when there's less than 100 mb.  Hopefully that would work.  But I can still use the file manager, to keep track of the free space.  Perhaps not so convenient, but I can live with it.

I suppose developers don't want bug reports for an older version.  I keep getting notified about the 2018 upgrade (until I told it to stop on the last one).  Is there any charge for upgrading?

Thanks for all you help and patience  :-)

Attachment Size
427705-139031.png 20.61 KB
427705-139034.png 19.85 KB
427705-139037.png 22.29 KB
427705-139040.png 56.37 KB
Forum Hero
mvp

Brynn, how is your Seagate Expansion drive formatted?  Looking at your screen images suggests that it may be formatted as FAT32 given your backup images created on 24th Sept being split at 4GB size.

Ideally the backup drive should be in NTFS format rather than FAT32 unless you are using this same drive with both Windows and Mac computers?.

ATI 2017 is still supported at this time, so if you wish, you could open a Support Case with Acronis to investigate this issue.