Skip to main content

SOLVED: Failed to read data from sector '588,922,759' of hard disk '3'

Beginner
Comments: 7

I only have 2 hard drives, my C: drive and a USB F: drive.I am backing both up with a disk level backup, to a WD MyCloud mapped file share on my local network. I have yet to get a full backup after about a month of trying but I am getting closer.

I am curious why it is trying to read from hard disk 3? At first I thought it was because of the SD drive plugged into the front of the laptop so I unplugged it and deleted the backup plan and created a new one that only backs up my real hard drives. This backup is further along but it is getting the same error.

I did a check disk of both my hard drives and can't find any disk errors. I did an ignore because that is the only thing that would get past this error but I don't think it's working right at this point. What is the source of these disk read errors? It would be nice if it reported a drive letter instead of a disk number.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9700
mvp

Stephen, welcome to these user forums.

Acronis numbers drives a little differently to how Windows Disk Management does.  Windows numbers drives from 0 whereas Acronis starts at 1.

If you look at Disk Management, then for your situation, you should be looking at a drive shown as 2 in the list for where the bad sector issue is being reported for.

You should run CHKDSK x: /R for the drive that you identify in order to identify any bad sectors.

Beginner

disk 3 error.PNG

Beginner

OK I will give that a shot

Beginner

I stopped the old backup which is about 2/3 done. Is it safe to delete the backup image files with Windows Explorer since it never completed?

Forum Hero
mvp

If you have stopped the backup, normally the image file gets deleted automatically but if you are doing this from within Windows, then delete the file via Explorer, then do a Validation for the backup task to reconcile the information held in the Acronis Database.

Beginner

OK thanks, you are correct, the files were deleted automatically

Beginner

What is the process for doing a validation of the backup task?

Forum Star
Comments: 1494
mvp

Two ways, in Widows Explorer select the relevant *.tib file, right click and select Acronis and then Verify. Alternatively you can do it from within ATI 2017 - slect the task, click on the symbol next to the backup task name and select verify.

Ian

Beginner

OK thanks. FYI, I had some bad sectors and chkdsk F: /R kept dying with "An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 470)."

After googling that and finding no answers, I tried chkdsk F: /B (to reevaluate bad clusters) and it completed with 7 new bad clusters added to the Bad Clusters File.

Forum Hero
mvp

Glad to hear that you are making some progress in identifying the bad sector issue, hope that this will enable your backups to succeed, but recommend you keep a close eye on that drive in case it is getting to end of life..!

Beginner

Problem is resolved, backup just completed with no errors. Thanks for all the help.

Forum Star
Comments: 1494
mvp

Exellent news! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Ian