Skip to main content

sync two folders

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 46

Hello.I  would  ask  you  if  i  can  sync  two folders.One  is  in  my  C  drive  and  the  other  in  my  external  usb  stick.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26745

Sorry, not possible with Acronis True Image unless the 2 folders are on different PC's with each PC running ATI and joining the same Sync task.

Forum Member

Thank  you  very  much.Two more  questions  please.

1)Acronis  has  any  software  for  this  job?

2)I  am  a  teacher  of  mathematics.I  have  many  docs  and  pdf  files.I  want  to  create  a  backup    like  this:

When  i  change/modify  a  doc  ,also   modify/change  the  first  backup.Without  creating  many  backups  and  deleting  the  older  e.t.cWhich  method  is  preferable?Sorry  for  my  abd  english.

Legend

vasilis nikolopoulos wrote:

Thank  you  very  much.Two more  questions  please.

1)Acronis  has  any  software  for  this  job?

2)I  am  a  teacher  of  mathematics.I  have  many  docs  and  pdf  files.I  want  to  create  a  backup    like  this:

When  i  change/modify  a  doc  ,also   modify/change  the  first  backup.Without  creating  many  backups  and  deleting  the  older  e.t.cWhich  method  is  preferable?Sorry  for  my  abd  english.

1.  No - Acronis sync works between 2 different computers, not 2 folders on the same computer.

2.  That sounds very much like the capability of the Windows 10 File History feature.  The alternative would be to use other third-party synchronisation application with this capability and which also would allow versioning.

I have a Synology NAS device where I can use the Synology Drive sync software to do something very similar to your requirements, including keeping multiple versions of changed files.

One option would be to use a Cloud service like OneDrive but I am not sure about whether than allows to keep multiple versions of changed files unless this is a feature of the Business version of the application?

Forum Member

Sorry  you  don't  understand me.The  second  question  was  for creating  backup  with  acronis  trye  image.I  want  to  do  this  :I  want  to  create  a  first  full  backup.After,  when  i  change  a  doc (like  add  a  page,or  change  something  in  the  document) i  want  to  create  a  new  full  backup  which  inlcude  all  changes.The  same  folders/files/docs  with  new  changes.Which  method  is  appropiate  with  acronis  true  image/

Legend

Vasilis, ok, there are several different backup schemes that can be used with ATI 2017-2020 to do what you are asking.

For backing up your set of folders with their files / documents etc, then you should choose to create a Files & Folders backup task, after which you can choose any of the following backup schemes:

Full backups only - where all the contents of your source data are included everytime.

Incremental backups - where you create an initial Full backup then make a number of Incremental backups before creating a further new Full backup and repeating the cycle.
An Incremental backup captures only the changes found since the previous backup was made.

Differential backups - where you create an initial Full backup then make a number of Differential backups before creating a further new Full backup and repeating the cycle.
A Differential backup captures all the changes found since the initial Full backup of that chain.

Forum Member

So  if  i  have  a  doc  with  two  pages.And  for  example  create   a  third  page:

1)with  incremental   create  a  initial backup  which  inlude  the''new''  page?

2)with  differental  create  a  backup  with  all  pages?The  two  first  and  with  the  new  one?

Also  i  will  try  to  connect  with  official  support.I  don't  receive  any responce....Why?Because  my  product  is  ''old''?

Legend

Vasilis, when you create any backup you will capture the data in the state it is at that specific point in time, so if your document has 2 or 3 pages, that will be captured in the backup.

Each time you create a further backup, a new snapshot of your data is captured with any new changes you have made.

Forum Member

So  incremendal  backup  works  like  full  backup?Or  after  creating  an  incremendal  backup  create  automatically  or  i  would  create  manually  a  full  backup?

Legend

Please see the ATI 2017 User Guide: Full, incremental and differential backups which has a full description of how these backup methods work with examples.

Forum Member

thank  you