Skip to main content

True Image 2017 won't start....

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

*New member...inserted this topic in wrong Forum...how to change to the 2017 Forum? Apologies...

Well, it does start, but it does not complete its' task...full description;

Have been using this soft for many years, going up with newer versions [now 2017] as required. ATM my system is on a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD - Windows 8.1 Pro fully updated and running 2019 Norton Internet Security.

But I wanted to "Roll back" my system a few days to get around a problem with a newly installed program. I used the F11 Recovery option during booting to access Acronis...I navigated my way to the Partition with all my sequential backups stored, selected the specific backup. The soft went through the motions, then advised it had to reboot to finalise the "Roll back" - I selected 'OK' and the system rebooted...starting Acronis....selected the Acronis True Image in preference to it booting into Windows and....nothing! Total black screen...no activity...no restore.

So then I restarted the system with an Acronis Rescue CD in the DVD drive, selected the boot menu, optioned for the DVD drive, hit a key to initiate boot from CD then...same story...selected the Acronis True Image in preference to it booting into Windows and....nothing! Total black screen...no activity...no restore.

Next point of call was to try the bootable Acronis USB drive, inserted in, selected boot menu...hit a key to initiate boot from the USB then...same story...selected the Acronis True Image in preference to it booting into Windows and....nothing! Total black screen...no activity...no restore.

Only other option was to select my other O/S during boot, then started the Acronis on that partition, navigated to the exact restore point I wanted to "Roll back" to, clicked OK and away it went...did not need to reboot as it wasn't working on an active Operating System...and the target Operating Partition was successfully restored.

But I cannot understand why it seems to just "freeze" whenever it was initiated from the boot media using multiple sources...anyone have a clue what the likely [even remotely possible] reason for the issue could be?

Further info; I'm on legacy boot...system starts up, shows bootscreen messages; gives me the option to select optional O/S...so I don't think UEFI is a problem. I originally set the BIOS to NOT to use Secure Boot...

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16380

my system is on a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD

I'm on legacy boot...system starts up, shows bootscreen messages; gives me the option to select optional O/S...so I don't think UEFI is a problem.

Pharr,  welcome to these public User Forums.

My understanding is that NVMe requires UEFI and is not supported by Legacy / MBR boot.

F11 = ASRM does not have support for NVMe in older versions of ATI.

Acronis Rescue DVD (if using default media) uses a small Linux distro which also does not have support for NVMe.

The Acronis Rescue USB media may also be using Linux depending on how you created it.

Doing the restore from the second OS on a dual-boot system is a valid approach if you have such a system, but otherwise you would need to create the Windows PE version of the Rescue Media, which in turn would require to install the Windows ADK application (for PE support), to get support for NVMe drives, else upgrade to ATI 2019.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7462

My understanding is that NVMe requires UEFI and is not supported by Legacy / MBR boot

This is correct for booting from a PCIE NVME as it must be UEFI/GPT to be bootable. 

I haven't actually tried to just have one attached on a legacy system, that is not specifically a boot drive though.

I would think that Windows 8.1 could use a PCIE NVME drive as a purely storage drive if Windows is installed in legacy mode on that system to a different drive.

I'm not sure though...