Skip to main content

True Image - What I think About It

Beginner
Comments: 5

First of all, I am Windows application developer. I have started with Acronis long time ago, I think 11 (not 2011) and was witnessing to deteriorating GUI design that is unbearable in ver. 2017 I am currently using.

I am not sure who designed and approved current GUI design but it is something as far as from standard windows guidelines (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff728831(v=vs.85).aspx) as I can imagine and my imagination is vivid.

It is user unfriendly, and does not expose all needed functionality or give any control over settings.

For me, good example of bad design would be a dishwasher designed by somebody who never used the dishwasher and has no idea what dishwasher should do.

On the top of everything else the app takes a very long time to start, and crashes very often. I am using Windows 10 Ent.

I am not going to update and being fed up with current design, I am looking for a good alternative to Acronis. I am open for suggestions.

Thank you.

Forum Hero
Comments: 5599
mvp

JohnCz,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the application.  Acronis is striving to make the app more user friendly with each new release.  I would imagine the developers would be interested in what you have to say and your link above should be directed to them. 

Please use the in-app Feedback option to do so including a link to this thread.  By default the feedback will generate a system report of your machine which will be beneficial in resolving your crash issue which is sent along with your feedback.

Here's hoping the situation improves for you!

Beginner
Comments: 5

Enchantech,

Thank you for your response. I think this provides some kind of fidback:

https://blog.jamesbayley.com/2014/03/10/why-i-removed-acronis-true-image-2014/

This was written in 2014 and Acronis product did not change much...

Forum Hero
Comments: 5599
mvp

The article you linked to is descriptive but is directed at the 2014 version of the product.  The current product is very much different than that of 2014, so then it is an apples to oranges comparison.

Regular Poster
Comments: 273

I spent my career developing software, including a Windows app that was Best of the Year 1992 by PC Magazine (OK, I've really dated myself now). I started Windows development on Windows 1.0.

I always judge an app's UI by how intuitive it may be. If I have to go to the documentation a lot, then the app is not intuitive enough. In the case of True Image, I find it quite intuitive. I can generally figure out how to do something rather quickly and if I need to do something esoteric, I can still figure it out rather easily. I very seldom look at the documentation.

That said, I don't use a lot of the capabilities of True Image, but for what I do the UI is easy.

I will agree with the OP that the app takes too long to load (about 10 seconds on my PC). But it has never crashed on me.

Regular Poster
Comments: 168

Sadly I to have to echo the comments of johnCz. I started out with Acronis back in 2006/7 with Vista and found the program to be 100% reliable. Although I still have that version it was unfortunately not compatible with later Windows releases and each successive version of Acronis brought more and more problems and issues. Sad but true.

Macrium (both free and paid for versions) has a huge following although with W10 I went back to Windows own disk imaging utility that is included as standard. For system image backups it is all you need and works 100% reliably in my experience plus there are no system overheads and compatibility issues.