Skip to main content

Two C: drives are found inside the System Restore

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hello,

I have an issue with the Windows System Protection every time I do a full system restore to the same hardware (CPU, GPU, motherboard and SSD drive).

After system restore, two C: drives are found inside the System Restore. One turned off and one said drive not found.

My system has one SSD drive with one partition. The partition structure is GPT. The OS is Windows 10 [version 1703 (OS Build 15063.608) ]. I use Acronis True Image 2017, Build 8058.

I notice that Mike had the same issue with Acronis True Image 2015. Link:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2015-forum/system-pr…

Is it a known issue ;

Thank you,

Lefty

Forum Hero
Comments: 9166
mvp

Lefty, welcome to these User Forums.

I have seen the same duplicate drives shown in System Protection on my own computers and the circumvention given in the old post has resolved this, i.e. disabling on the drive causing it to disappear.

I don't remember this being caused by doing an Acronis recovery / restore but it has been some time since so can't be 100% certain!

Acronis True Image defaults to excluding the System Volume Information folders (where the System Protection information is stored), so if you are restoring that information, this could contribute to seeing this problem?

Another possible cause is if you are not restoring the disk signature from the backup image file when doing a recovery and thus have a different disk signature to that recorded in the OS information that was recovered.

One last comment, Windows 10 defaults to disabling System Protection on install, so it seems that Microsoft are trying to wean users away from using this function of the OS...!

Beginner

Hello Steve, thank you for the comments.

I had the same thought about the disk signature. But because my disk use GUID Partition Table, there is no option (check box) to recover disk signature during Acronis Restoration. To be certain, I checked my disk signature before and after the restore (using DiskPart Command Line option "uniqueid disk") and found no difference.

I didn't had change the default setting which is to exclude the System Volume Information from the Disk Backup.

So, the problem maybe disappear when I include the System Volume Information during the backup. Please correct me if I misunderstand this.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9166
mvp

Lefty, sorry but I was saying that the problem could possibly be caused if you were restoring System Volume Information which is excluded by default by ATI as these folders are not really needed for recovery.

If you are using the default exclusions, then please don't change these - including System Volume Information could cause your backup size to increase significantly depending on whether you have a lot of system restore points or other snapshot data held in those folders.

I would say that the circumvention to resolve this problem is very easy to perform should you see the issue again.

Beginner

I am using the default exclusions. Yes, I followed the circumvention given in the old post and the problem is resolved. Everything looks OK.

Thanks!