Skip to main content

unable to restore to smaller drive

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 53

I've been using Acronis for over 8 years, but I still manage to get flummoxed when using the recovery boot DVD. I am trying to restore a Windows 7 C: drive that was 1TB, but only a fraction of that space was used. It had 3 partitions:

NTFS C:, partition size: 826.4G, used: 122.2G
NTFS D:, partition size: 11.16G, used: 10.1G
NTFS (SYSTEM) partition size: 100M, used 61.57M

I am trying to restore to a 329G drive. According to this kb article: https://kb.acronis.com/content/2770, "Resizing all partitions proportionally during restore: ... All the partitions will be restored proportionally to fit in the new hard drive automatically." But it's not.

It does partition 1-1 (SYSTEM) and allocates 100M. Then for "Settings of Partition C", I Change location, 'New location', and select the 'Unallocated' type and it allocated all remaining 329G to the C partition. "Free space after: 0 bytes". When I next try to change the location for Partition D:, there is nothing left to click on.

If, for partition C: I "Change Default Partition Size" and manually allocate 100M for "Free space after", it does show that free space on the Partition Size, but when I next try to allocation Partition D:, the "unallocated" partition is grayed out and I cannot select it.

What am I doing wrong? How to I allocate my partitions correctly?

Attachment Size
AcronisDpartitionAllocation.png 60.44 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26717

I would guess that there are some unmoveable sectors on your source drive that are preventing the correct resizing of the partitions here.

The log should show what is actually happening but you need to save it before exiting from the rescue media application else it is lost.

Personally, I would recommend trying to resize your main C: partition manually using such as the MiniTool Partition Wizard, i.e. if resize to say 300GB then give this another try.  Note: I would move the unallocated drive space to after the other partition too.

Forum Member

I assume resizing the C: partition and the MiniTool thing have to be done on the actual, physical drive. I'll have to stick the original drive back in the computer and do some experimentation. I'll post back when I accomplish that.

Legend
Comments: 26717

You could do the resizing etc from another computer with partition software installed if the drive can be connected via USB.

Forum Member

I think one of the problems was that the entire backup included a dual-boot setup with Linux, and I had not backed up the Linux partition. What I ended up doing was making a new backup of a newly installed Windows only drive and, when doing the backup I omitted the D: partition, which was just a left-over HP recovery partition from when the computer was Hewlett-Packard. The new ATI backup restored just fine.