Skip to main content

Using the Recovery feature in Acronis True Image 2017 Trial. Aborted 'core dumped' error message

Beginner
Comments: 8

Hello,

I am trying to recover a HDD from a .tib file from another HDD. When I try and recover from the HDD in the D: drive by right clicking on the .tib and hitting recover I get a "Aborted(core dumped)" message and the program prompts me to insert a USB. Once inserted, it notes that nothing got saved to the USB drive and it then prompts me to press enter to restart my computer. This then results in a black screen and an unsuccessful drive recovery. 

From the YouTube video, there should be several more windows of dialogue when executing the recovery in Acronis True Image 2017 but when I use the program, I get no further dialogue windows, just the screen going black with white text and the above messages. 

Thanks,

Forum Hero
Comments: 9700
mvp

Austin, welcome to these user forums.

How are you trying to do the recovery of your HDD?  Are you trying to do this from within Windows or using the bootable Rescue Media?
Note: It should only be done using the Rescue Media to prevent other problems by changing the Windows boot configuration data.

What drive are you trying to recover to?  Is this the main OS drive for the computer where you are doing the recovery, or is it a different drive?

Your answers to the above will help us to understand your situation and help you better.

Beginner

Hello,

Yes I am recovering from the rescue bootable media that I burned onto a CD. The original drive has been removed and a whole new drive has been installed (C: drive). The newly installed drive is completely blank. I then have another drive (D: Drive) that has a .tib file on it. I am trying to recover from the D: drive using the .tib file onto the C: Drive (If that is possible). 

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, OK thanks for the reply and answers.

Next question: Is your backup file a full backup of the original HDD including all hidden partitions?

As you are booting from the Rescue Media, this should be booted in the same mode as your Windows OS uses, so if Windows boots using EFI (UEFI) then the Rescue Media  should use the same.  You can check this by looking to see if you have an EFI partition on the original HDD otherwise the system will boot in Legacy / BIOS mode.  See webpage: Check if your PC uses UEFI or BIOS for more information on this subject.

If you still encounter problems when using the Rescue Media, then if you have the ability to put the new (target) drive in a caddy or connect via USB, you could try to do the recovery from within Windows (assuming you have a computer with ATIH installed).  See the screenshots I posted in https://forum.acronis.com/forum/128843#comment-406241 from doing such a recovery earlier today in answer to another user question.

Beginner

I honestly couldn't tell you if the .tib is a backup of a full HDD or a partial one. The target HDD has been installed into a caddy with the HDD containing the .tib file being connected through SATA cables. 

Since this computer is unable to boot up into Windows XP, I have been primarily doing everything through the Legacy / BIOS mode (outside of launching Acronis). The target HDD is completely blank, so there is no OS installed on to it. In other words, I can't do the recovery through Windows on the target computer. I would have to switch to a whole new PC, and move the target HDD along with the other HDD.

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, just to go back to basics for the moment.  Let me clarify my understanding of what you are doing / what you have.

You have a Windows XP computer that you are trying to recover?
You are booting from the Acronis bootable Rescue Media in Legacy / BIOS mode on this computer?
You have the target HDD in a USB caddy?
You have the backup image file .TIB on a second HDD connected via SATA cables?

If the above is correct, then I would suggest making some changes to what you are doing:

Install the target HDD inside the XP computer in the place where the original OS boot drive was installed.  SATA Port 0 ideally.
Connect the backup storage drive externally in the USB caddy.
Boot the Acronis Rescue Media and verify that you can access both the drives in the offline ATIH application GUI.

If all of the above works correct and gets you to the main Acronis application panel, then see post: 128057: [Tutorial] How to recover an entire disk backup which shows the steps needed for a full disk recovery using the Rescue Media.

Beginner

Everything is correct except that the target HDD is installed where the PC's original HDD had been installed, not in a USB caddy. I will attempt to find a way to connect the HDD with the .tib file through a USB connection and attempt recovery once again. 

Beginner

Hello, 

I tried connecting the D: Drive using a USB adapter to connect the HDD up to a USB port and recover from there using Acronis but that didn't work. I then went around and found an external HDD and placed the .tib file on it then tried recovering from the external HDD (with the only other HDD hooked up being the one docked as the C: Drive) and that was unsuccessful. All attempts give me the same black screen with same text and message of "aborted (core dumped)" so on and so forth. 

Is there any more insight on this situation?

Thank you,

Austin

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, thanks for trying the various options.

What version of Acronis True Image created the .TIB file that you are trying to restore?

Do you have another computer where you could test booting the Acronis Rescue Media CD to show that this is capable of booting and will launch the Acronis application?

If yes to the last question, are you able to connect the backup drive with the .TIB file and the HDD where you want to restore that file to, to that other computer?

My thinking is that the XP computer may just be too old to run the Rescue Media - what CPU does it have and is that CPU PAE capable.  Acronis dropped support for Non-PAE processors some time back which may be where some of the issues you are seeing may come from.

Beginner

I will check. I have been able to successfully boot Acronis no problem this entire time. The issue has been when I select the .tib file to recover from. When I hit recover, the screen goes black and there are no more dialogues prompted for me to choose from (like in the tutorial you gave me). Find attached is a picture of the screen after clicking recover on the .tib file. 

I am using Acronis True Image 2017 trial. I burned the .iso onto a CD rom. 

Honestly I am not sure what the CPU is. I googled the model of my computer (the Lenovo M52) and it says it is a Intel Pentium 4 531. Also the website notes that Windows XP M52 are made as 64 bit computers. A different

Acronis agent told me that 64 bit computers are not compatible with Acronis True Image...

Attachment Size
406689-137236.jpg 3.4 MB
Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, thanks for the screen shot, it shows that the original error is actually a Segmentation fault, which in turn is an issue that Acronis have said should be fixed in ATIH 2017 - see post: 122489: Bootable media - seg fault when clicking restore disks which reported the same scenario as you are experiencing.

The workaround for this known problem is to create the Windows PE version of the Rescue Media but this requires that you have ATIH 2017 installed and then further download / install the Windows ADK in order to create this type of rescue media.  You would need to install ATIH 2017 on a later version of Windows, 10 will be best to take advantage of the latest ADK too.

The alternative, is to do this restore using another computer with ATIH 2017 installed, running this from within the Windows application.  You could copy the .TIB file to the local disk drive of that computer rather than having to access it on an external drive, so that the only external drive is the target HDD for the restore.
Note: the key to doing this type of restore from within Windows is to ensure that Windows does not lock the target drive as if it does, Acronis will require a reboot to do the restore outside of Windows.  Do not boot the computer with the target drive attached, instead connect if after Windows is up & running, and if necessary remove any partitions from the target disk to prevent locks.

Beginner

I appreciate the advice. So both of these options require the purchased version of Acronis True Image 2017? Just want to make sure that the trial version that I have will not cut it. 

Thank you

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, from what I can tell both of these options should work with the Trial version of 2017.  The installed version should provide full functionality for the 30 day period of the Trial.  The Rescue Media is limited to doing Restores / Recovery only.

See KB 2768: Trial Version Limitations of Acronis Products for full details of the limitations of your Trial product.

Beginner

After downloading the windows ADK and creating the Windows PE bootbale media and then trying to recover using the downed computer, I get a black screen upon boot up. I burned the .iso from the USB drive that I created it to, to a CD, then tried to boot from the BIOS like i've always done, but all I get is a black screen.

I then went the alternative route of using a windows 10 computer (that has AITH 2017) to recover from, like you described but even that was unsuccesful. The Windows PE bootable media just doesnt seem to boot (same black screen upon bootup followed by an error message describing that it cannont boot). I will try using the original Acronis bootable media (non-PE) on the Windows 10 computer and see if I can recover using that.

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, not sure why you are burning the WinPE ISO to your USB drive when the Acronis Bootable Media Builder tool allows you to create the media directly on the USB drive?

In terms of an alternative route using your Windows 10 computer, you can try to do the recovery of the backup image to the disk drive by using the Acronis application installed on that computer (assuming that you have installed it).

The target disk drive should be attached to the Windows 10 computer via a USB caddy or dock or SATA to USB converter.  You will need to have the backup .TIB file available on the same computer so that you can restore it to the external disk drive.

Beginner

I apologize, I described what I did incorrectly. I installed ATIH 2017 onto a computer with Windows 10. Afterwards, I downloaded and installed the Windows ADK as prompted by ATIH 2017 once I clicked on the Rescue Media Builder -> WinPE-Based Media With Acronis Plug-In. After installation I clicked ISO file -> Save (on to a USB stick). I then took the .iso that I saved onto the USB stick and burned it onto a CD in order to try and use it to boot up the downed computer (lenovo M52) with the target HDD installed on to it. 

None of this matters because I figured out what I was doing wrong. I hadn't realized that the recovery feature in ATIH 2017 is behind the 'Backup' menu option. After finding it, I was able to successfully recover my target HDD using the .tib file. I guess the best method was to use the desktop Acronis true image and not the bootable rescue media (in my case). 

I appreciate your help.

Forum Hero
mvp

Austin, glad to hear that you have been able to do the recovery you wanted.  Just one word of caution, doing this from within Windows is OK if you have Windows available, but if you lose the OS disk drive then the Rescue Media is the only way to do a bare-metal recovery.  Always best to know that the Rescue Media will work long before you ever reach a point where you actually need to use it.

Beginner
Comments: 4

Got a different situation, I cloned one SSD with OS to SSD but at the end of cloning it gave me "aborted (core dumped)" You can see here https://i.imgur.com/Kjrjexx.jpg Is that a problem or it's successful clone? I booted the windows with the cloned SSD fine, been working fine for 30 minutes now. at the end of the cloning process it didn't ask me to reboot or anything it just jumped right to that screen. I was looking at the cloning process and it seemed to completed every steps and down to the last second then jumped to that screen.   thanks for your help (also I cloned via boot CD, it's acornis 2015 that came with mx300 SSD)

When it had the error at the end the SSD was making loud popping/cracking noise, hard to describe it but it was pretty loud.

Forum Hero
mvp