Skip to main content

***Windows Update System Restore to newer Windows Edition***

Beginner
Comments: 5

Good afternoon. 

I have read threw the forums on this subject but have not found the answer i want.  I have a fairly new business computer i7 chip, 32gb ram M.2 hard drives etc.  Windows 10 home version 1607 build.  The computer has not been able to update for months, keep getting Windows error Update Error 0x80070005 In Windows 10. 

I have spent 6 hrs with windows tech support, they cannot figure it out.  They want me to backup data and reinstall windows.  This is not an option because software and applications will be deleted., I have business software that would take weeks to reregister,  get new codes, set paramaters, etc. 

If i use acronis backup with rescue media builder to create a backup of my system, update windows to version 1803, then restore computer from acronis backup using restore system with different hardware version.  Would this work are would it just reinstall the older version of windows.  I know cloning will just install older version.  If i had to buy another computer that would be an option.  I just cant lose application and software programs.  Thanks for the help.  

Forum Star
Comments: 1116

Unfortunately, restoring a backup to a fresh install of Windows will result in having your older version of Windows 10. Its not possible to restore just programs but you can restore just files to a fresh install.

Legend
Comments: 15139

Christopher, any backup and restore of your problem Windows 10 OS will simply bring you back to your starting point of where you made the backup.  It will not resolve this update problem for you.

If you take your Windows 10 backup complete with all applications to different computer hardware, then your applications could very well fail on activation if this relies on the computer hardware signature for where it was originally installed and activated.  The signature is derived from the CPU, motherboard, LAN adapter etc, all of which would be changed by moving to different hardware.

Personally, if you have not already attempted it, I would perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 using the Windows 10 1803 installation media.  This should be done from the Windows desktop by running the Windows setup program from a USB stick created via the Microsoft Media Creation tool.  This will preserve all your installed applications, user profile settings etc.

Before attempting such an in-place upgrade, you should run CHKDSK /F for the drive where Windows is installed, then follow this by running SFC /SCANNOW to ensure that all is as it should be before embarking on the upgrade.

Beginner

Microsoft techs did this and failed.  "Personally, if you have not already attempted it, I would perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 using the Windows 10 1803 installation media.  This should be done from the Windows desktop by running the Windows setup program from a USB stick created via the Microsoft Media Creation tool.  This will preserve all your installed applications, user profile settings etc."

I think i am going to try to upgrade to windows 10 pro and see if it fixes my update problem. if that does not work not sure what i will do.  thanks 

Legend
Comments: 15139

Christopher, I suspect that if an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 didn't fix this issue, that doing a different but equivalent type of in-place upgrade may yield the same end result and your next option would be a clean install of Windows.

There is one further thought to offer you here, and this is to create and try using a completely new Administrator account.  I have seen some very strange problems caused by a corrupted user profile account.

Beginner

I will try another admin account.  Good idea.  thanks

Beginner
Comments: 4

hi,

Although a new restore point will be created automatically during a significant change happens, there will be times where you may want to manually create a restore point before modifying anything that might cause problems if you don't do it correctly.

Open Start.Search for Create a restore point, and click the result System Properties.Under "Protection Settings," select the main system drive, and click the Createbutton.Enter a description to identify the restore point.Click Create.