Skip to main content

Acronis Recovery does not see drives on Samsung Galaxy S7 Phone.

Thread needs solution
Lid
Beginner
Comments: 9

Hi All

I need to restore a set of folders onto a new SD card when it is installed in my phone from an Acronis backup I made from the old SD card. The target phone drive is visible from Windows 10 file explorer on my laptop. It displays as 'Samsung Galaxy S7/Card'. However I cannot locate this drive anywhere to set it as the target drive when I use the Acronis file/folder recovery option.

Does anyone know how I can find this drive/folder from within the Acronis file recovery option please?

For completeness, I cannot restore the folders onto the target SD card using an SD card slot or an SD card reader, because this did not work. (I got the wonderful Windows 10 error where it cannot see the SD card drive, or states it has an invalid directory). I also cannot use the Acronis clone disk option because I am unable mount the source and target SD cards simultaneously. (You'd think there would be a staging option in the Acronis clone utility!) In addition, I cannot copy the folders directly using the windows explorer copy tool, because I tried this and several hundred of the photos and videos had their dates reset to the current date.

The best option I have identified is to back up all the folders on the old SD card using Acronis and then to restore them using the Acronis folder restore option onto the new SD card while it is installed in the phone. However I cannot do this if the target drive is not available to select from within Acronis. Any help is most welcome please. Thanks

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16452

Lid, sorry but when you connect your Samsung phone to your computer it is using a special Media Transfer Protocol for the connection which is not compatible with Acronis True Image for either disk or file backup / recovery actions, hence you cannot see or select the phone SD card as either a backup source or destination.

The only way that you may be able to do what you are seeing will be to put the SD card in an adapter and plug it directly into the computer card slot or else use a USB adapter for the same.

With the SD card connected directly, you should then be able to see it in Windows Disk Management (which does not show MTP connected cards), then be able to recovery your SD card backup to it.

Lid
Beginner
Comments: 9

Ok thank you for confirming my fears. Annoyingly if I put the card in my current USB card adaptor, my Windows 10 laptop gives an error and cannot access it. However I will look for a more modern adaptor that hopefully will work.