Skip to main content

Cannot delete old Acronis backup files from external drive

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 8

I need  to create more space on my external USB drive but I cannot delete old Acronis Backup files. I get an error message as follows....  "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1413

Terry...You need to turn of Acronis Active Protection.  Then you should be able to delete the old tib files.

Beginner

Hi FtrPilot

I cant believe how much time I have wasted trying to solve this and your advice was soooooo correct and soooo simple, I feel embarrassed to admit it.  Why this wasn't clearly communicated by Acronis I will never know. But you solved it and I am very thankful to you for it.

In reply to by terry rimmer

Beginner
Comments: 1

How and where do I turn this off?

Legend
Comments: 21050

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Hi Steve

thank you for answering this further query from another Acronis user. Much appreciated.

regards

Beginner
Comments: 1

Yes this is an issue with the software. I am having the same problem. I do not have privilege to delete a back set / file from my USB drive! Active protection is not on (never has been)  version 2019 14690 really doesn't matter if Active protection is turned on or not the service is installed during a upgrade or possibility new install. Try sorting the task manager in Windows and stop the activeprotectionservice worked for me. You would think turning it of would include stopping the service.