Skip to main content

Clone a 1TB to a 2TB Disk

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Will Acronis True Image Home 2018 allow me to clone a 1TB C drive to a 2TB internal drive?

1 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 4338

The simple answer is yes. Cloning from within windows is much improved in ATI 2018 - I do not recall any disasters being reported. However, you should create a full backup before do the clone. If you have gone that far, I would use recovery media and do recovery from the just created backup rather than doing a clone. Before doing the recovery you swap out the old 1TB HDD and install the new one. (Having two HDDs attached with same disk signature is asking for trouble - make sure the copy disk signature option is clicked when doing the recovery, otherwise some software may not work and windows may loss its activation status.

Ian

Forum Star
Comments: 1413

Lincoln,  My preferred method, like Ian's, is to do a disk mode backup of the 1TB drive, then perform a "Restore" to the 2TB drive.

If you decide to do a clone, I suggest you read the guidance in the following link:

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2017-forum/important…

In the link, Steve Smith describes all the things that can go wrong and how to avoid them.

FtrPilot

Beginner
Comments: 5

I am running Acronis True Image 2021 software.  I have a 1 TB SSD installed on my laptop and would like to clone the contents to a 2 TB SSD without creating any partitions.  I have the USB C to SATA cable to connect the drive.  How do I proceed?

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6393

Dennis Freeman wrote:

I am running Acronis True Image 2021 software.  I have a 1 TB SSD installed on my laptop and would like to clone the contents to a 2 TB SSD without creating any partitions.  I have the USB C to SATA cable to connect the drive.  How do I proceed?

Hello Dennis,

yes you can clone from your 1TB drive to the new 2TB SSD and allow Acronis to do an automatic resize of your partitions (see Step 7 from Clone Disk wizard

Note:  We strongly recommend that you create a backup of the entire original disk as a safety precaution. It could be your data saver if something goes wrong with your original hard disk during cloning. For information on how to create such a backup, see Backing up partitions and disks. After creating the backup, make sure that you validate it.