or

Backup disk 0 [HDD] and restore in SSD 

???

Lse
Regular Poster
Comments: 143

Please note

During recovery to SSD usb 3

I boot from HDD normally and connected ext hdd usb 3 too which had backup and did but failed

After shut down and disconnected ext hdd , ssd usb , media ejected

Why this now?

Now if go to bios what to choose? 

Lse
Regular Poster

see some shots attached

esc enter bios after F9 boot menu 

but I can Not boot in windows ... is any setting or have to insert acronis bootable media...  to do boot in windiows 10 ???

Attachment Size
481563-160973.jpg 996.84 KB
481563-160976.jpg 841.01 KB
481563-160979.jpg 428.31 KB
Legend
Comments: 14805

Leonidas, have you tried using either taking the top 'Continue Startup (Exit)' option on the Start menu, or else taking the top EFI Boot Sources > 'Windows Boot Manager' option on the F9 Boot menu?

Early in this topic you posted the output from msinfo32 which showed that your Windows 10 OS used a BIOS mode of UEFI, so the above options should be correct to start Windows.

Lse
Regular Poster

my system do Not start

seems UEFI not boots or if press F11 to load acronis... acronis loaded

what to choose now

??

see and prior shots

Attachment Size
481584-160992.jpg 1.1 MB
481584-160995.jpg 1.51 MB
Lse
Regular Poster

taking the top 'Continue Startup (Exit)' 

trying this

Lse
Regular Poster

now boots only if acronis bootable on dvd

otherwise if eject

a black screen appears and only one LEd power lights the other of hdd no lights

try recover from bootable media the hdd to ssd 

and boot with ssd????? but hdd problem now ,, well ?

Legend

now boots only if acronis bootable on dvd

Are you able to boot to the Windows 10 desktop after booting with with Acronis DVD is present?

Lse
Regular Poster

I think only in command line

Not sure

Try bootable media

Connect

ext hdd usb3 // backup

Ssd usb3

And recover backup to ssd from bootable media?

Also try if enter windows 10 from bootable. ..?

Legend

You can retry the recovery to the SSD from your backup drive using the bootable media but doubt that you would get into Windows 10 from the bootable media.

The command line (x:\windows\system32> ) looks to be either from the Acronis Rescue Media.

When you did the earlier recovery to the SSD did ATI request that the system had to be restarted to continue the recovery?

Lse
Regular Poster

I think rescue media used ... and refer now...

bootable media is not the same as rescue media???? I have and bootable media try these????

taking the top 'Continue Startup (Exit)' 

>>> go

Starting with uefi loader (v....

Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery....

go>>

MBR Error 1

Press any key boot from floppy...

Legend

Bootable media and Rescue media are the same thing.

If you are able to boot into the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (ASRM - F11 prompt) and have your backup drive connected, then I would suggest restoring just the MBR & Track 0 data from your last backup image to your HDD, to see if that will resolve the boot issue with the HDD.

Lse
Regular Poster

"

restoring just the MBR & Track 0 data from your last backup image to your HDD

"

But if is GPT the MBR needed ?

also tried boot in Not UEFI in the past 1 hour but failed... because Not booting UEFI... 

"

doubt that you would get into Windows 10 from the bootable media.

"

If enter Acronis bootable media... and having USB 3 SSD & ext HDD (with backup in it] ... can i try recover backup lastest to SSD ... without enter Windows... ???

After connect SSD [sata] to see if boots up?

Otherwise try this 

restoring just the MBR & Track 0 data from your last backup image to your HDD

well

???

Legend

When in the Acronis Rescue application and looking at your backup image, what options do you see for the items available for recovery?

If you only see the EFI partition plus your C: & T: partitions, then try restoring just the EFI partition back to the HDD.

The alternative approach here will need a copy of the Windows 10 installation media and then to try running a Startup Repair or to Repair Windows from that media.

See the following webpages dealing with repairing a UEFI / GPT Boot issues.

Webpage: How to Repair EFI Bootloader on a GPT HDD in Windows 7/8/8.1/10?

Webpage: Fix UEFI Boot: Fix for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Webpage: Fix UEFI Boot in Windows 10/8/7

If you do not have a copy of the Windows 10 installation media, then you can download this from webpage:  Windows 10 Download - where you should use the second option to Create Windows 10 installation media by downloading the Media Creation tool.

Lse
Regular Poster

So you mean efi partition needed recovered ?

And if do this is for the better health of hdd... not worse?

What about the option recovery of backup in ext hdd to ssd and try sata boot from ssd... when do this?

I have recovery dvd windows 10 but i think it's about from 1803...

So now boot from bootable rescue media after insert backup ext hdd, ... and recover efi... 

After connect ssd and recover to ssd..?

Legend

Leonidas, my focus here has been to try to help you get back to a working HDD.  I do not know why you are not able to boot from the HDD when you were just recovering your backup to the new SSD drive.  The HDD should not have been 'touched' by this process unless ATI required a restart when doing the recovery, which then would have created a temporary boot environment from which to boot and perform the actions.  This is one reason why doing OS Recovery (to the original drive) is not recommended from within Windows!

The suggestion to recover just the EFI partition to your HDD is to try to resolve this new boot issue.

If you prefer to try to get the new SSD working instead of the HDD, then booting from the Recovery media in UEFI mode, with both the external backup drive and the SSD drive connected then restoring the backup to the SSD again is one option you can try.

A variation on this option would be to disconnect your HDD, connect the SSD to the cables used by the HDD so that the SSD is now the internal drive, then boot from the Recovery media with your external backup drive connected, and then restore your backup to the internal SSD drive.  This means that no further changes can occur to the HDD during this process.

Lse
Regular Poster

See this shot attached and tell - what recover ? 

Lse
Regular Poster

See this shot attached and tell - what recover ? 

Attachment Size
481631-161004.jpg 886.25 KB
Legend

Track 0 and the EFI System Partition - if recovering to the original non-booting HDD.

Lse
Regular Poster

I got success recoverred

But again not boot I think

Now I see on screen

Some text

DHCP ......../

Lse
Regular Poster

Try not yesterday backup recover but 06 Nov 2018... the pre-latest

...?

Lse
Regular Poster

How recover from backup ext hdd >>> to ssd

?

Lse
Regular Poster

Starting uefi loader....

Option F11 acronis

After

Intel boot agent

Client mac addr... ...guid...

DHCP.........../

Lse
Regular Poster

Please review 3 last posts

What to do now? ?? What recommended. .. I think acronis block boot process

How recover from rescue media the ext hdd backup ... Not to pc's hdd but to ssd usb3 ...?

After connect sata

Legend

Leonidas, to recover from the rescue media to your new SSD connected via SATA, then you need to boot from the rescue media in UEFI mode, with your external backup drive connected.

After that, follow the steps shown in the attached PDF document.  This was written when using ATI 2017 and doing a recovery for a MBR drive, but the steps remain the same when using ATI 2018 or 2019, and for recovering a GPT drive.

Attachment Size
481652-161007.pdf 719.56 KB
Lse
Regular Poster

I connected ssd and inserted rescue media cdrom

Now shows window logo with 

Attempting Repairs

Text

I think booted from ssd in windows but as I say recovery has in the last min error

Now await attempting repair

May boot in windows on ssd fixed with await

Without needed again recovery from ext hdd to ssd? 

Lse
Regular Poster

I got message can Not repair see attachment ... what to do... Keyboard and mouse now Not work.... how go advanced  or shutdown... ???

Attachment Size
481660-161008.jpg 747.61 KB
Lse
Regular Poster

Now,...I am trying restore backup ext hdd usb3 to ssd sata

Lse
Regular Poster

I completed RECOVERY TO SSD from USB3 EXT HDD backup success...!!!

But the boot problem is the same 

seems the Acronis interfere with boot process... how disable this???

see shots attached by series... Now only SSD present 

No usb ext hdd ... No CDROM rescue media

well how boot in windows 

I think must disable Acronis at boot, how???

well ??

Attachment Size
481693-161016.jpg 1.11 MB
481693-161022.jpg 588.98 KB
481693-161025.jpg 170.14 KB
481693-161020.jpg 438.57 KB
481693-161018.jpg 782.33 KB
481693-161027.jpg 486.12 KB
Lse
Regular Poster

Track 0 missing from ssd bootable's partitions the others are like hdd partitions

Well

Lse
Regular Poster

Are you suggest do a Windows Repair

With Windows 10 1809 DVD created today with windows media tool

... or... ?

Lse
Regular Poster

Partition 2

is T:/

or 

C:/

see shots... any problem???

what to do now SSD and old HDD seems same problem - normal boot appear 3rd picture attached and then go to 4th picture attached...

Are you suggest do a Windows Repair

With Windows 10 1809 DVD created today with windows media tool

... or... ?

Attachment Size
481744-161033.jpg 931.68 KB
481744-161036.jpg 1.49 MB
481744-161039.jpg 170.14 KB
481744-161043.jpg 486.12 KB
Legend

Leonidas, your boot menu from the SSD does not show an option for the 'Windows Boot Manager' which is what you need for a valid UEFI boot into Windows.  Your boot menu from the HDD did show this option, so you may need to go into the BIOS settings and check whether this option is available to be selected from the new SSD.

2018-12-05 Lse boot menu.png2018-12-04 HP F9 Boot menu.png

It would also be worth clicking on the > next to your new SSD in the EFI Boot Sources to see if this expands to give other options?

If this doesn't help, then boot from your Windows 10 1809 DVD and take the repair option.

Lse
Regular Poster

I make it booted from ssd windows 10 pro

I inserted DVD windows 10

asked

reinstall - delete all

or

upgrade

chosen upgrade and immediately upgrade and entered quickly in windows 10 from SSD

What to do now in windows 10....??? 

I make a restore point 

also backup file to usb stick

/windows/system32/boot/winload.efi  that appeared show error in it // backup all /boot/ folder

What to do now in windows 10....??? retry if all ok without usb stick/dvd and if ok

interchange hdd with ssd since now  ssd is sata but I have Not yet fit it in... ???

Legend

Leonidas, not sure what exactly you have done here?  If you have booted from the Windows 10 Install DVD and taken the Upgrade option, this would normally do a clean install of Windows - to Upgrade an existing Windows installation, this should normally be done from the Windows desktop.

If you have the SSD booting to the Windows desktop and all looks good, then installing the SSD in your computer case in place of the HDD would be the next step.

Lse
Regular Poster

I will create recovery usb stick on the ssd system

After turn off system and i will

Remove cables

And install ssd using hdd to ssd adapter

I will make a last post if all ok

Thanks for the advise

Lse
Regular Poster

I connected/replaced HDD with SSD 

all ok

thanks for all your advise

keep great tools great work !

Legend

Leonidas, that is good to hear.  Please ensure you make a new full disk backup of your new working SSD and Windows 10 OS in case of any problems in the future.

Lse
Regular Poster

One last thing

Because I excluded some virtual machine files etc files from backup that hence exist only in the old hdd

In case want connect this old hdd with usb stand adapter

I should await boot from SSD normally and after connect this usb hdd

NEVER SHOULD BOOT FROM SSD WITH USB OLD bootable HDD CONNECTED 

CORRECT

?

So boot first after connect and COPY FILES...

Correct

?

Legend

Yes, doing that should be fine and is the best way of avoiding any disk signature clash.  Once you have all the data copied from the HDD, then you could re-format it and use it as you wish as a spare or a data drive.

Lse
Regular Poster

In case I wanted insert this SATA HDD old [WITHOUT DELETE DATA] in another new desktop PC new 2018 with PCIe NVM x4 on the motherboard that has/BOOTs Windows 10 Pro

AGAIN MAY HAVE CONFLICTING PROBLEMS???? WHAT TO DELETE FROM THIS OLD HDD ?

in other words if NOT the same PC may also appear conflicts if the other PC is also Windows 10 ????

Legend

There would be no conflicts if moving the HDD to a different computer - the conflict would only be a risk if the HDD and SSD were both in the same system and have the same disk signature.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thank you Steve for your patience and detail.  I searched high and low for a solution to what was supposed to be an easy clone and replace for a Toshiba Laptop.  You MVP Tools are perfect step by step descriptions that are clear and easy to understand.  Finally having a bootable USB media to facilitate the clone it worked on the first try with no issues.  Now the machine is lighting fast by comparison.  Thank you!!

Legend

Mark, welcome to these public User Forums.

Thank you for your feedback and always good to hear of success in using the tools!

Lse
Regular Poster

Hi again,

A friend of me 

having full SSD 100GB and wanted to cloned to SSD 480GB

but has No Acronis TI 2018 installed - and i think has No space available to install it...

Can give him my Acronis bootable media CD/DVD to make the clone WITH-OUT Having Acronis TI2018 in his PC?

Also

recommended  backup disk first [POWER CUT MAY MAKE BOTH SSDs PROBLEM]?

needed check source SSD for errors first?

To create Acronis bootable media in my HP PC... [his PC is also HP with USB 3.0 slots]

required do Rescue Media Builder > ADVANCED 

or > SIMPLE is about the same?

If go ADVANCED - I think needed download WADK is easy this? - also a CDR is enough or needed DVD-R ?

Are you strictly recommend Rescue Media Builder > ADVANCED...  if used the media for cloning A different PC???

Lse
Regular Poster

Rather recreate bootable rescue media > ADVANCED [ I afraid WADK download procedure]

can create Acronis Universal Restore media 

for CLONING a differ PC From its SSD to a usb3/sata SSD bigger????

I think this is easier... Or better do the bootable rescue media > ADVANCED ?

RATHER ALL THIS TROUBLE  CAN GO IN MY ACCOUNT

https://account.acronis.com/#/products

AND DOWNLOAD BOOTABLE MEDIA ???? THIS IS FOR ANY PC ????

Legend

Can give him my Acronis bootable media CD/DVD to make the clone WITH-OUT Having Acronis TI2018 in his PC?

Strictly speaking your Acronis software / media is licensed only to you for use on the number of systems that you have purchased the license for.  It is not licensed for use on a friend's PC.

Acronis Universal Restore is not needed for cloning drives that will be used in the same computer - this is intended to help in migrating to new computer hardware (motherboard, CPU, etc is different).

The Acronis Rescue Media ISO file that you can download from your Account page is based on the older Linux kernel method, not using Windows PE as the media created by ATI 2018 in Windows would default to making.  This should still work with most computers unless they have any RAID or some NVMe M.2 type SSD drives for which the media does not have driver support.

Lse
Regular Poster

So you mean if go IN MY ACCOUNT

https://account.acronis.com/#/products

AND DOWNLOAD BOOTABLE MEDIA, THIS IS FOR ANY PC and can used without problems to clone SSD 100GB to SSD 1TB [not nvme and not Raid] ???? ATTENTION ! EVEN I HAVE NOT INSTALLED ACRONIS TI 2018 DUE TO NO SPACE ON OLD SSD C:/???

Where see how many licenses Left... from the pack of 5-Acronis TI2018 i purchased???? 

here https://eu4-cloud.acronis.com/bc/#m=Resources&s=1&key=all in dashboard ONLY 4 PCs backup show  ... meaning i have one license unused ???

needed check source the old SSD for errors first before cloning?

Legend

SSD drives do not normally suffer from the same problems as older HDD spinning disks with such as bad sectors etc, but you should run a CHKDSK /F for the drive to ensure there are no logical file system issues before cloning.

I would always recommend to make a full Disk backup of the source SSD too - this is your safety net in case of any errors or issues during the cloning process.

Lse
Regular Poster

All gone ok desktop cloning...

My friend wants to use the 230GB [get out of desktop was two partitions C:/ and G:/] SSD in his laptop

but laptop has a 500GB HDD in two partitions C:/ and G:/

232GB 130GB Free

232GB 200GB Free

If follow the same procedure - normally Acronis clone media should shrink disks appropriately from 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD ... ?

Legend

If follow the same procedure - normally Acronis clone media should shrink disks appropriately from 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD ... ?

Yes, it should resize during the cloning process provided there is sufficient free space available to do this.  I would do a CHKDSK /F for the 500GB HDD plus also make a full disk backup before starting to do the clone.