Skip to main content

Cloud Backup now failing.

Joe
Beginner
Comments: 9

I was running 2017 TI cloud backup on 2 PC's. Everything was running great.

Updated to 2018 and all ran great.

All of a sudden ALL online backups are failing, as of 09/28. One PC is on the base version of 2018, and another one has the latest update applied!

Message is : Read error or metadata content is corrupted.

Environment is : Windows 10 Pro

I have opened a ticket, but wondered if other users are experiencing this?

Forum Hero
Comments: 9926
mvp

Joe, my own cloud backup ran fine on Saturday (for most of the day as was on a slow network), so this would look to be an issue with the particular Cloud server that your computers are using, especially as you have more than one computer that is affected.

Try using KB 47145: Acronis Cloud Connection Verification Tool  to test your connection to your server.

See KB 4350: Acronis Backup to Cloud access ports and hostnames if you need to confirm which tool to use.  Look at the DataCenter information on the Advanced tab of your cloud backup task to see where your backup is configured to use.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Joe
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions. All was good with the connections.

In reply to by Joe

Beginner
Comments: 6

Just an FYI,  I've been experiencing something similar since upgrading to 2018. (I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it ... it could be just a coincidence.)  Amongst my various backups, I have four cloud backups that run either daily, or at least multiple times per week.  With the exception of those occasional connection glitches, they've all been running fine for a couple of years now.

Shortly after I upgraded to 2018 though, one of my four cloud backups suddenly failed, claiming that there was a problem with the server.  Ironically though, my other three backups succeeded, so it wasn't the connection.    I contacted tech support and after much investigation, they concluded that the metadata on the server for that particular backup had become corrupted, but they had no explanation as to why.  The only thing they could offer was that it was likely a rare "fluke".  Regardless, I lost that entire online archive of backups, and had to create a new backup scheme in its place ... basically starting over again.

I thought that was the end of it until about 1 week later, the same thing happened to yet another one of my cloud backups.  Once again, the other three (including the new one I had just created the week before) all succeed to backup to the cloud.  I called tech support back and they connected to my system, collected logs, but again had no immediate explanation for what happened and why.   This time they decided to escalate it to development.

That was a couple of weeks ago and I've since received an e-mail from tech support saying that I should hear something from them no later than October 9th. 

Anyway ... what I'm experiencing may or may not be related to what you've encountered, but I thought I'd chime in.

Forum Star
Comments: 1513
mvp

I have seen this error message before; many years ago possibly with ATI 2015. Cannot remember how the problem was resolved, assuming it was resolved. I had to go to Acronis Technical support to sort it out.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 14

I had an issue where I backed up to the cloud fine and I could restore within the program. But if i tried to restore from the web via my Acronis account I was unable to do so. Support gathered up some logs and also informed me there would be a solution by October 8. A few days ago is started working fine so I presume they found a solution. During the course of the troubleshooting  they email an executable to run that checked all the ports. All was well, so the problem was at their end. It appears fixed now though.

Joe
Beginner

Latest update:

"This is to inform you that Developers already working on the issue and there is no fix for now. As a workaround, please create a new cloud backup and check if that works for you. We will share the status of the issue on or before Oct  27, 2017."

Joe
Beginner

Latest update:

"This is to inform you that Developers already working on the issue and there is no fix for now. As a workaround, please create a new cloud backup and check if that works for you. We will share the status of the issue on or before Oct  27, 2017."

Joe
Beginner

Latest update:

Forum Hero
Comments: 9926
mvp

Joe, thanks for sharing the feedback you've been given - it doesn't sound very helpful other than perhaps creating a very small Cloud backup task which will only need to upload a limited amount of data for testing purposes.  I would doubt that you would want to do a full system backup to the Cloud if that is what you already have created.

Beginner
Comments: 4

Cloud backups started failing for me prior to upgrading to the new 2018 version. Cloud backups began failing for two of my pc's on 9/16, and the third computer began failing on 9/21.

I was hoping that upgrading to 2018 would fix the issue, but it didn't.  I spent some time chatting with tech support last night.  They sloughed me off the phone by having me run their "information gathering" utilities, and "let us know when you're done."  

I opened a new chat with someone different when the utilities were finished, and I'd uploaded some of the results to Acronis.  The technician balked that I didn't upload the system information utility output.  Well, I wasn't comfortable with the amount and level of detail that the utility gathers.  I also told the technician that it was my belief, based on the nature of the failure, and other log evidence, that this was very likely an issue that their tech support teams were already aware of.  The technician confirmed that it indeed was a known issue.  When my suspicion was confirmed, my frustration level increased, as I don't appreciate being asked to jump through hoops and provide them with months of unrelated system events.  I would have been so much more satisfied and reassured if they had just been forthcoming.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but here is a little more.  After indicating that I would not be providing my "system information utility" output, I was told that my ticket would not be escalated to second tier.  Adding salt to my wound, I looked today, and my ticket is not even listed in my support requests.

My goodness, I miss the days of just using Norton Ghost, and being done with it.  I have had to babysit this product on my systems since True Image 13.  In my experience, True Image is not reliable, and far from set it and forget it.

Second apology for ranting...I think I'm finished.

Good Luck!

P.S.  I just tried to preview my post, and got a mostly blank "An error has occurred" page.  My mind is so full of bad words right now.

In reply to by Duranged2001

Joe
Beginner

The 'circumvention' just completed on 1 PC. Attempting on a second PC.

Forum Star
Comments: 2377

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I'd like to apologize on behalf of Acronis company for any inconvenience you might have experienced when using our Cloud storage. We truly understand, how you should feel about the situation and do our best to remedy the issue. The main challenge here is that there can be various conditions that lead to the above error messages, some of the reported scenarios have been already fixed on our side, but investigation is still in progress. Cloud-based services are one of our priorities and we'd welcome every opportunity to conduct investigation. I'd encourage you to open a support ticket if any issues with Cloud. We have a very dedicated customer support here to help you and improve your experience with the software. Feel free to contact me in PM, if any questions.

Thank you, 

Beginner
Comments: 5

Joe,

I have just posted about the same problem. I didn’t realise you had posted as well.

I was talking to Acronis Support for about 3 hours trying to explain the problem and trying to upload the details and the logs.

I agree with previous poster Acronis True Image is unreliable. I had a lot of problems early last year with the backups just suddenly failing to work.

The Acronis Support people just don’t care. They make no effort to fix the problem. My fault report was ‘escalated to development’ as well (well they SAY it was). All I got back was ‘try again’, if it works it’s ok.

The backup of my ‘Picture’ library takes 15 days.

The thing that really annoys me is that no changes have been made to the Backup procedure. They just suddenly stop working. I now have NO Backups because I can’t access them.

This is dreadful way to treat customers.

I’m want my money back.

I’m off to find some backup software that works. Do you know any?

Mike

Beginner
Comments: 4

Mike, I wish I could give you some guidance on alternative solutions. I'd jump in a heartbeat if I could get a full refund for what I've paid for the "non - perpetual " licensing and cloud storage subscription. I just have too much time and money invested, by my standards, to leave at this point. 

In my opinion, there has been some strategic change by this company's management, which has resulted in the decline of the product and it's support.  Over six years ago, when was managing the security department of a large company, I would offer the recommendation for Acronis to anyone who asked. Now I'm beyond frustrated. 

"Send us your logfiles! Send us your logfiles!"

I say, "Be open with your new and longtime customers, and explain the specific problems plaguing your software and cloud solutions."  Don't tell me that it's a "known issue" and then tell me that my specific event logs are required in order to even begin to help me. 

Goodness, I'm such a ranter lately. Must be getting old and out of touch with technology. 

Good luck.

Forum Member
Comments: 58

Dear MikeUK and Duranged2001,

I have read your comments and am very sorry for your negative experience with our support department!

I totally agree about being open with Customers. In this case the issue is really very hard to identify as there may be various configurations that could have led to this issue. That is why the support is asking for the logs, they would help us to compare the conditions of the issue appearance on the different environments and find not the workaround but a permanent and stable issue fix.

I can understand that log collection may be a hard and time consuming process. However, our support engineers are always ready to help you in that. The most helpful would be a debug system report: https://kb.acronis.com/content/59792

Unfortunately, in this case without any logs it seems impossible to understand the cause of the issue and correct it. That is why I would really appreciate if you could cooperate with the Acronis support as I would not like to leave you without solutions.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Dear Renata Gubaydullina,

Please read the previous posts properly.

Your post is condescending and unhelpful.

Summary

1.  The backups suddenly stopped working

2.  The log files HAVE been supplied.

3.  All my previous Backups to the cloud cannot be accessed so I now have NO backups at all.

(Same as Joe I think)

4.  Acronis support just say ‘try again’.

Your time would be better spent solving the problems rather than condescending and unhelpful posts.

Mike