Skip to main content

Create backup image for deploying multiple new PCs

Thread needs solution
Kel
Beginner
Comments: 0

Hello,

Sorry I am very new to use Acronis, hope you guys can provide some helps

I have multiple win 10 computers that need to be deployed and they are all same model and specs, I have setup one of the PC with all the software installed. Do I just need to create a backup image, and restore onto the other PCs? or maybe just use the clone disk utility? Is there any tool i have to run after to change the SID or something?

Thanks!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 18101

Kel, welcome to these public User Forums.

Acronis True Image (ATI) is primarily a home user product and not intended for deploying multiple PC's in a business scenario.

It can be used to do this but this is a manual process whereas if you use the Acronis Snap Deploy product, this is designed for this type of deployment.

If using ATI then the best method is to create a full disk backup of your source Windows 10 computer and store this on an external backup drive.

Each target Windows 10 computer should have been activated for the same edition of Windows 10 as used on the source system.

You should create the Acronis bootable Rescue Media and test that you can boot both the source and target computers using this, and can see both the internal OS drive and your external backup drive.  Both computers should use the same BIOS mode to boot into Windows, i.e. both UEFI.

The target computer should be booted from the Rescue media, then the backup image from the source computer restored to its internal drive.

Once the restore is complete, then the computer shutdown, the rescue media and backup drive disconnected, then the computer booted into Windows, allowing any differences in hardware components to be identified and dealt with, plus allowing Windows to activate based on the new hardware signature (unless you are using a volume license).

In some circumstances, the Acronis bootable Universal Restore media may be needed to deal with new hardware detected after the OS restore, but this is less likely with Windows 10.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8204

As always, Steve has sage advice on this!

Please take heed the need to boot and ensure  that Windows 10 OS is activated through the Internet first at least one time on each new system!

When dealing with OEM home or Pro licenses you must register the original license with Microsoft at least once before throwing on a different image. Then you can deploy the image on it all day as long as the image license type is the same again (home vs home or Pro vs pro).

If using Enterprise licensing then not an issue though.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi

I have the same question but am hoping you can clarify please what is meant by “You must register the original licence with Microsoft at least once”

many thanks 

Legend

Geoff, welcome to these public User Forums.

What it means is that for any new computer that comes pre-installed with Windows 10, you need to ensure that this has been Activated for that OS license so that the hardware signature for that machine is registered with the Microsoft Activation servers.

Once the hardware is registered, you can put the same edition of Windows 10, i.e. Home, Pro etc back on the machine and it will pick up the existing activation registration.  This is important for migrating Windows 10 from another computer to this one provided both use the same edition of Windows 10.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi Steve

Before proceeding with this I have read articles indicating that the legality of Windows 10 licensing may be compromised ?

Intention is to complete this project with 10 identical Dell Optiplex PC’s supplied with Windows 10 x64

Thanks

Geoff

Legend

Geoff, if all your 10 Dell PC's have each been activated for Windows 10 x64 and you are deploying the same edition of Windows 10 x64 to them, there should be no issue of legality as activation is based on the hardware signature. 

The important point is that activation has been done before deploying even though you are going to overwrite the OS on those PC's. 

Activation gets the hardware signature registered in the Microsoft Activation servers database to allow the same machine to be activated later.