Skip to main content

Error while checking the metadata integrity of points in time (PITs) in the archive.

Forum Member
Comments: 29

Hi Everyone

Most of my backup tasks run and validate without any errors.

However I repeatedly get a PIT* error during the validation process for backup tasks involving a specific drive or specific folders.

*Error while checking the metadata integrity of points in time (PITs) in the archive.

I have deleted the failed tasks and associated tib files and created new tasks for the same folders or drives but the same error occurs.

It seems the tib files are being successfully created but the backup fails during the validation process.

Any ideas why this might be happening or suggested fixes?

Thanks for your time

BR

Legend
Comments: 13559

BR, where is your backup being stored when you see this error message?

The previous times I have seen this reported has been for backup stored on remote network drives / NAS drives.  See forum topic: Error while checking the metadata integrity of points in time (PITs) in the archive.

Another user who reported the same error found he had a failing memory DIMM module where the issue was reported when trying to validate before doing a recovery.

Forum Member

Hi Steve

The destination is to a local mirrored storage space drive. (2 x 1TB - both drives show OK and a green tick under Windows 10 storage space managment.

I changed the destination to another drive (another local mirrored storage space), ran the task again and it compeleted succesfully.

I don t have any issues using the original destination with any files including copying and playing large video files. Copying is very fast and playback is smooth and stutter free.

I dont know why it should be causing this error with Acronis. It has previosuly been running fine for months. Overall my PC is stable and runs quickly so I dont believe I have a RAM issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

BR

Legend

BR, the only real option would be to open a Support Case with Acronis for this issue and let them investigate why this error message is being posted.

One suggestion.  Separate doing the validation from your backup task and try the validation as a separate action, to see if the error is still being seen?

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I am pleased to report that running the task without vaildation after its created completes without errors.

I am pleased at least for the workaround but of course would prefer it works like all my other tasks.

I am so used to receiving the "Task Completed Succesfully" notification after vaildation on my other tasks I'm a little uneasy that the vaildation happens after the event.

I just wanted to check, when the validation is set to run regualrly at a specific day/time after the initial backup, does that generate an email notification on success or failure?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

BR

Legend

I just wanted to check, when the validation is set to run regualrly at a specific day/time after the initial backup, does that generate an email notification on success or failure?

I had hoped to be able to give a positive reply to your question but after doing some quick testing, the answer is that there is no email notification generated for a scheduled validation action!

This to my mind is not how I expected validation to work - email notification is setup in the main backup task from where the validation action is generated but this detail is not passed on to the validation script .tib.tis file used for the process.  I tried copying the notify section from the main task script file to the validation script but this was reset back to no notification when the validation was performed!  This only leaves users with the option of checking the main ATI GUI or else using the MVP Log Viewer tool to check that validation has been successful or not?

Forum Star
Comments: 2104

Steve, I too would have expected email notification of validation - however now that I think about it I have never received such notification. A definite shortcoming.

I suggest those who have concerns with this omission make in-App feedback with an enhancement request.

Ian

Forum Moderator
Comments: 3450

Hello Everyone,

there is indeed no way to configure email notifications for a validation job. Here is the existing feature request TI-62059 - I've added a reference to this forum topic as a vote for the feature. 

Legend

Ekaterina, thanks for adding this to the existing feature request TI-62059 - it would make sense for any scheduled Validation to use the same Notification settings as those configured for the backup task that created the backup and set the scheduled validation.