Skip to main content

Failed to Format "D:"; DiskPart errorlevel -2147212243

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 32

Hi,

i am getting this error after succesfully folowing the step by step guide at forum.acronis.com_forum/acronis-true-image-2017-forum_mvp-tool-custom-ati-winpe-builder.

I included the log file. It was created on a Dell XPS 15 laptop, the build in ssd is set as RAID in the BIOS, secure boot is enabled. I tried an earlier created boot stick which was created for a Dell XPS 13, but that does not see the internal ssd.

I tried to burn the iso-file with Rufus on the same usb stick (8GB, FAT32) but when I try to boot from that stick it fails.

Anybody with suggestion what I'm doing wrong?

Best,

Ton.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 23402

Ton, the MVP Log does not show any errors that I can see, and has no mention of Diskpart being used.

Have you tried using the option within the PE script to create a bootable USB stick as part of the script action, instead of using Rufus to burn the ISO to the USB stick?

The alternative method you could use here is to use the normal Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool to create rescue media on your 8GB USB stick, then take the MVP Acronis_MVP_PEMedia_amd64.wim from the folder shown below:

"C:\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\ISO\Wim" 

rename the file to boot.wim and copy it to the \sources folder on the USB stick to replace the file placed there by the normal media builder tool.

Forum Star
Comments: 1835

I would try to use Windows Disk Management to format the USB stick (D:) to see if that shows an error or corrects the error.

Forum Member

Steve Smith wrote:

Ton, the MVP Log does not show any errors that I can see, and has no mention of Diskpart being used.

Have you tried using the option within the PE script to create a bootable USB stick as part of the script action, instead of using Rufus to burn the ISO to the USB stick?

The alternative method you could use here is to use the normal Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool to create rescue media on your 8GB USB stick, then take the MVP Acronis_MVP_PEMedia_amd64.wim from the folder shown below:

"C:\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\ISO\Wim" 

rename the file to boot.wim and copy it to the \sources folder on the USB stick to replace the file placed there by the normal media builder tool.

Hi Steve,

yes I used that option within the pe script and thats why I got the diskpart error. I will try your suggestion to build a normal rescue media later this week. Thanks for now!

best,

Ton.

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I created the standard Acronis rescue media and copied the renamed MVP Acronis_MVP_PEMedia_amd64.wim to the \sources folder and booted from the stick, but still can't see my local drives (only the usb stick) Did I mentioned I am using Acronis 2016? In the bios of my Dell XPS 15 the ssd is in RAID modus, I think I need those drivers on the stick to get access..Any other suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Ton.

Legend

Ton, if your SSD is using RAID mode, then you need to include drivers for this in the rescue media.  The MVP Custom PE builder tool can add in the Intel RST drivers used for RAID and has these bundled with the tool, but if a different RAID type is being used, you would need to identify the correct drivers used for that and add them to the Drivers_Custom folder according to the architecture (x64 or x32) and in their own separate folder.

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I downloaded the current Intel driverset from dell supportsite (Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Application_7RDCC_WIN64_18.0.1017.0_A08.EXE) extracted them and copied to C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST.

I moved the existing iaAHCIC, iaStorA, iaStorAC and iaStorF files in that folder to  a subfolder Org.

Then I ran the tool again and again only the creation of the usb stick failed with the same error as this topic was started. Is there any way to find a solution for that diskpart error, other than using the standard Acronis rescue stick creator? (since that does not show my internal ssd either)

Best.

Ton.

Legend

Ton, a couple of questions ref the USB stick?

Are you still using a 8GB stick?

How is it formatted in terms of the partition scheme?
Is it MBR or GPT?

If it is using GPT then this is a known cause of the Diskpart error being reported.

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

yes I am using a 8 GB stick and it is MBR formatted (see screendump)

Best,

Ton.

Attachment Size
556626-206223.JPG 38.85 KB
Legend

Ton, thanks for confirming about the USB stick, the only further suggestion at this point would be to do the following to ensure that the drive has been fully cleaned before trying again.

Preparing USB drive for use by Acronis using Diskpart
diskpart
list disk   (to identify USB drive, i.e. 1)
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

Please ensure that you select the correct drive number as there is no confirmation when using the clean command, it will wipe the selected disk number!!  (I found out the hard way when I made a mistake just the once!!).

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

hereby the properties of the stick, formatted by diskpart as you suggested. Next step rebuild with the MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed tool?

regards,

Ton.

Attachment Size
556744-206288.JPG 38.33 KB
Legend

Give it a try Ton.

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

ok, creation of the usb media was succesfull now, but still can't see my ssd..I first tried the injection of the drivers provided in the MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed tool but that does not work. Then I extracted the drivers from Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver_R93YC_WIN_17.5.3.1026_A02_01.EXE which I downloaded from Dell to C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST and recreated the stick, but still I can't see my internal ssd...

One thing I noticed in building the stick was that the wim file is called amd64 winpe where I expected something like x64? (see attached screendump)

I think I still don't have the correct ssd drivers i attached IRST.jpg, where you can see which drivers I added tot the Custom folder.... can you see in the logs if that is the case? (I put both sessions logs in the upload)

One step beyond I hope..

best,

Ton.

Attachment Size
556789-206318.JPG 82.45 KB
556789-206321.txt 5.08 KB
556789-206324.txt 5.71 KB
556789-206327.JPG 67.84 KB
Legend

Ton, the MVP tool logs show one successful IRST injection and one failed injection which I suspect is caused because you have not extracted all the required files as listed in the .inf files.

What I am seeing in the failed injection is that the tool is picking up the original drivers for IRST because you have just moved them to a subfolder (ORG) instead of moving them out of the folder structure.

Log snippets:

vr_23-10-2020   16.38.40   START injecting CUSTOM 64-bit drivers - USER selected. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.1

Image Version: 10.0.19041.1

Searching for driver packages to install...
Found 5 driver package(s) to install.
Installing 1 of 5 - C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST\iaAHCIC.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed. 
For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image.
Installing 2 of 5 - C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST\iaStorAC.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed. 
For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image.
Installing 3 of 5 - C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST\ORG\iaAHCIC.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 4 of 5 - C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST\ORG\iaStorAC.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 5 of 5 - C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\NIC\Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller\oem59.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.

Error: 2

The command completed with errors. For more information, refer to the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
vr_23-10-2020   16.38.40   END injecting CUSTOM 64-bit drivers. 

Look in the .inf files for the following section of the file:

File iaStorAC.inf

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
iaStorAC.sys = 1,,,
iaStorAfs.sys = 1,,,
iaStorAfsService.exe = 1,,,
iaStorAfsNative.exe = 1,,,
Optane.dll = 1,,,
HfcDisableService.exe = 1,,,
OptaneEventLogMsg.dll = 1,,,

RstMwService.exe = 1,,,
RstMwEventLogMsg.dll = 1,,,
;
;Win8 and above

File: iaAHCIC.inf

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
iaStorAC.sys = 1,,,

RstMwService.exe = 1,,,
RstMwEventLogMsg.dll = 1,,,
;
;Win8 and above

Your screen shot does not show many of the above listed files but these are shown in the IRST exe file contents for the Windows 10 x64 folder.

Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I moved the subfolder ORG to another location and extracted all the files from Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver_R93YC_WIN_17.5.3.1026_A02_01.EXE\Drivers\Production\Windows10-x64\ to C:\MVP\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v186_Signed\Drivers_Custom\x64\IRST ran the MVP_ATIPEBuilder tool again and created a new startup stick. Booted from the stick and tadaa, now I can see my local ssd with all the partitions, so I made a full backup! Thanx again for your patience with me and your support!

Best,

Ton.

Legend

Ton, always great to read of success stories, glad you got the media sorted and the backup done!  Thanks for your feedback.