Skip to main content

GPT backups much slower than MBR

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

This is not exactly a problem, but I wonder if anyone has any advice.

I have recently upgraded my PC, and I've changed all my disks from MBR to GPT.

I use the True Image boot media (WinPE version) to back up my disks and I've realised that it takes a lot longer now to back up the same disks.

What used to take around one hour now takes 3 hours.

I was wondering if there is anything I can set on the boot media - to help speed this up?

Or do GPT disks just take longer to back up?

I recently raised a support ticket, as I couldn't restore my images - using the linux boot media.

They recommended that I try the WINPE boot media - and this works fine. Is the WINPE media the cause of the slower backups for GPT disks?

I am using TI 2018 - but that should not make a difference. If there is something different about the current version, I will gladly upgrade - but I do not need any functionality except to be able to backup and restore with the boot media.

Thanks.

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner

I'll answer my own question - the linux boot disk seems to work fine (just over 1 hour compared to 3 hours for the WIN PE boot disk).

So I guess I'll use the linux boot disk to back up - and the WIN PE one if I ever need to restore.

(a weird solution - but it works) ;)

Legend
Comments: 23402

John, welcome to these public User Forums.

Looks like your new topic was held up by moderation, hence no responses over the weekend!

One difference between the Linux and WinPE versions of the rescue media, is that the latter tends to use some elements of the Microsoft VSS snapshot feature from what I have read here in the forums, though I do not understand why that should be needed in a standalone environment?

ATI 2018 was the first version where Acronis started the change from Linux to WinPE, so it is also possible that this is better in the following versions.  I haven't noticed such issues myself in using WinPE media but that is not a frequent action.  I am using ATI 2020 and 2021 versions of the media.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

Yeah - I don't know why it was held up - I'm not trying tobe negative, just looking for information ;)

Anyway - maybe I'll upgrade my TI. I really only use the boot media and nothing else - so I'm not usually in a hurry to upgrade.

Legend
Comments: 23402

John, if thinking about upgrading and not in a hurry, then wait till the Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales are on, when Acronis normally offers some good discounts!

Beginner

OK - thanks Steve.

I posted in the TI 2021 section with a few more questions ;)