Skip to main content

How can I delete old *.tib backups

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 2

How can I delete old *.tib backups. Windows 10 pro is damanding som SYSTEM action despite me useing the delete menu in admin mode?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 4610

Are you deleting *.tib files from within ATI or using Explorer or some other file manager? If you want to delete backups outside ATI 2018, Active Protection module of ATI will not permit this to happen. You will temporarily have to disable Active Protection. Deleting a backup outside ATI can cause issues, things are less likely to go pear-shaped if you do so from within ATI.

Beginner

Hi - Thanks, but how do I delete old *.tib backups from within ATI?

Legend
Comments: 26700

Ronald, with ATI 2018 and earlier versions, the only methods for deleting unwanted backup files is to use the automatic clean-up options for each backup task, where these work according to the selected rules.

If the backup files are not associated with any current task shown in the ATI GUI, then the key factor that will prevent them from being deleted is when Acronis Active Protection is turned on, as it's key purpose is to prevent such files from being deleted or changed etc.

The alternative method would be to turn off AAP temporarily, delete the unwanted files using Explorer then perform a validation of the backup tasks that the files belonged to, as is required to then correct the internal database used by ATI to track backup files.

Note: with ATI 2019 and later versions, Acronis introduced a new 'Clean up versions' tool in the task context menu that can provide easy options to delete unwanted backup files safely and keep the internal database in sync with the same actions.

Beginner

Sorry for my ineptitude, but where do I find this `clean up versions`facility?  I have just purchased and installed ATI 2021.

Legend
Comments: 26700

Ronald, see the ATI 2021 User Guide: Backup operations menu which has an image showing the new Clean up versions tool option.

See also: Cleaning up backups, backup versions, and replicas

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thanks for the solution as I too struggled with not being able to rename or delete old backups using a filemanager! I even tried to manipulate my rights as the admin but it didn't worked. I supposed that it has something to do with the file management of ATI and thankfully found this tread. Very helpfull!!

Beginner

I am glad I have found my question answer, I also want know how can I delete old *.tib backups.

Beginner

Hi, I am glad I finally found this information.