MVP Tool - CUSTOM ATI WINPE BUILDER

Forum Hero
Comments: 6118
mvp

CURRENT VERSION: 

12.1 Advanced (09/04/2017)

5.9 Basic (11/26/2016)   

README----Basic Vs. Advanced MVP_ATIPEBuilder

Changelog - check out the 12.1 Advanced improvements!  **** Now supports Acronis True Image Home 2018 (Backwards compatible with 2017/2016) and the new Acronis Revive file recovery application!

Due to the larger size of the Advanced version, (about 60Mb), we are unable to post it directly in the forums so everything has been moved to the Acronis MVP Google Drive.

Basic is no longer supported and considered deprecated with the release of Acronis True Image Home 2018.  Please use the advanced mode; trust us, you’ll like it!  

Advanced - just as easy to use to build your WinPE rescue media as the old Basic version!  It does everything that Basic did, but also includes options for Bitlocker support, ISCSI support, a web browser, file explorer, explorer shell, 7zip association, PDF association, tools, screen resolution, customizations and more!  

It is also possible to use WinRE to incorporate Wi-Fi support if desired.  What’s even cooler, is that it will automatically include Universal Restore and/or Disk Director 12 if they are also installed on the machine that the rescue media is being built from.  

WHAT IS THIS? 

MVP ATIPEBuilder is essentially a batch script tool designed by MVP's:  Bobbo_3C0X1 and Mustang, with collaboration from Steve Smith and Enchantech and testing by other MVP's.

This tool can be run on any 32-bit or 64-bit system that is using Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, as longs as there is a compatible version of Acronis True Image Home (2018/2017/2016) installed on it already, and a pre-existing installation of the Windows ADK (5.x, 6.x or 10.x).

This tool does NOT work with legacy versions of Acronis True Image Home (2015 and earlier) and there are no MVP plans to provide support for them, due to variations in the Acronis provided WinPE content.  Additionally, newer Acronis products are designed to have better compatibility with newer hardware technologies and current Operating Systems and believe that using more current versions of Acronis products is beneficial for users looking to migrate to these newer technologies.

Anyone with a Windows 7 or newer Windows OS, that has a current version of Acronis 2016 or newer, may use this tool to build CUSTOM 32-bit or 64-bit Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. This will be especially useful for those of you that have 32-bit only UEFI systems or the OEM manufacturer has set the SATA mode to RAID in the BIOS and it cannot be changed.  This tool supports automatic driver injection in both the 32-bit and 64-bit media creation process. 

Whether using this tool to build 32-bit or 64-bit customized WinPE Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, the resulting media can also be booted in legacy mode for ANY system (32-bit or 64-bit), where the bios supports legacy/CSM booting and/or UEFI mode for ANY system where the bios UEFI booting.  

README----Basic Vs. Advanced MVP_ATIPEBuilder

WHY DO WE NEED IT? 

If you have a 32-bit only UEFI tablet or laptop that came with an eMMC flash hard drive, or any system that came with a PCIE NVME hard drive, you may have found that the current 32-bit/64-bit Linux Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and/or the default 64-bit WinPE Acronis Bootable Rescue Media won't detect your hard drive.  This is because the manufacturer has set the bios SATA mode to RAID and/or:

01) Prior to the release of Acronis True Image Home 2018, the default version of the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media was based on Linux and typically did not have RAID controller drivers such as Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), which are needed to detect newer hard drives when the SATA mode in the bios has been set to RAID by the manufacturer.  Although Acronis True Image Home 2018 has options to build rescue media with WinPE or WinRE, and also has driver injection, it still has some limitations compared to this tool.

02) The current Acronis Bootable Rescue Media Builder only creates 64-bit WinPE and will not be bootable on a 32-bit only UEFI system.

03) Driver injection is now built into the tool and additional drivers can seamlessly be added "on-the-fly".  By default, we provide the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) drivers (if you choose to run the driver injection option) so that anyone using the latest NVME PCIE hard drives can create media that will support it out of the box - even if the manufacturer has set the SATA mode to RAID in the bios.  (Note:  if your system has a custom RAID controller such as LSI or Rocket-RAID, you may still need to add those drivers into the driver folder before running the tool)

HOW DOES IT WORK? 

What we've done with this tool is simply emulated the Acronis default media builder process, but enhanced it.  We take full advantage of the provided 32-bit and 64-bit WinPE tools that Acronis provides (Acronis currently only builds 64-bit WinPE rescue media with the default media builder).  We have added a section for CUSTOM / AUTOMATIC driver injection too!  The entire process is handled with Microsoft DISM commands from the WinPE ADK packages so that we can include the ability to add custom drivers, copy drivers from the local system into the build, include Bitlocker support, ISCSI support and native OS language support.  Furthermore, instead of limiting the WinPE media to just True Image Home, it will search the system for Universal Restore and Disk Director 12 and include them if they are already installed.

CAVEATS / CONSIDERATIONS / RECOMMENDATIONS

01) This is not an official Acronis tool, but they like it a lot.  It has even been integrated into the application for easy access.  However, we recommend checking the MVP Google Drive to ensure you are getting the latest version.  We've tested it thoroughly and feel that it is not only useful, but safe to use.  If you do have issues, please be sure to post here in the forums for assistance.  

02) The tool should always be run with Administrative Privileges to ensure that the script has the proper access for making changes where necessary.  We've taken precautions to ensure that the script is always run with admin access (even if you forget).  1) All current advanced versions are now an EXE that forces admin access before launching.  2) The older versions use a shortcut to require admin privileges by default.  3) The older version scripts will prompt for UAC access if it is not launched with the shortcut and detects it has been run with a regular user account.  Please still try to always right-click and "run as administrator" whenever possible - just to be sure though.

03) On some machines, the tool may flag as an untrusted file under Windows Smart Screen.  This is because it includes A43 file explorer, 7zip and is a .bat script downloaded from the Internet without a digital signature.  This tool is not malicious and contains no malware.  You can safely run it without fear, but please do so only if you are comfortable doing so. 

04) If you have not already installed the Windows ADK to create your 32-bit or 64-bit WinPE Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, please do so before running the tool, as it needs to check for existing file paths to function correctly.  If the file paths don't exist, the script will terminate automatically and you will not be able to continue with the custom WinPE rescue media creation.

05) As of 9.5 advanced and newer, the tool is strictly self-sufficient and no longer needs the Acronis media builder.  However, it goes through the same process of checking for licenses to ensure proper activation in the WinPE.  Additionally, it will look for other installed Acronis products (Universal Restore and/or Disk Director 12) and automatically add those too.

If your customized WinPE Acronis Bootable Rescue Media boots successfully, but still does not detect your hard drive, you will need to re-run the tool and make sure to have the drivers ready to include them in the automated driver injection process.  Alternatively, you can still use the DISMGUI tool and instructions in this thread to inject drivers manually, after you've created WinPE Acronis Bootable Rescue Media

Regular Poster
Comments: 262

Any way to get this topic pinned as it is in the ATI 2017 forum?  It's an important topic.

Forum Hero
mvp

Agreed - I sent Ekaterina a PM yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.  Hopefully, soon!

Beginner
Comments: 13

can you run Windows ADK (5.x, 6.x or 10.x) on windows 7? I would love to use this utility but it will not run at the moment as I have SDK on my windows 7 machine.

Legend
Comments: 10036
mvp

Darren, yes, you should be able to download / install the Windows 10 ADK on your Windows 7 computer to be used the MVP Custom ATIPE tool script.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Error

Beginner

Hello,

This would be great, but it doesn't work for me:(Win  pro 64 last level, Ati 2018)

-It doesn't find my ATI version,

-It is unable to create an ISO disc it says "bad image"

-It is unable to create a WinPE key, it says "it is not a disc".

Any help, please ?

Thank you. 

Legend
mvp

Daniel, welcome to these User Forums.

Have you tried using the normal Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool in Simple mode before doing anything else?

If this doesn't work for you either, then please open this problem as a New Topic rather than complicate this topic which is purely for the MVP tool script.

If opening a New Topic, then please also provide more basic information:
Windows version (7, 8.1, 10)?
Did you upgrade from an earlier version of ATI to the 2018 version, if so, which one?
What size of USB stick did you use to try to create a WinPE key?
What version of Windows ADK do you have installed?

Beginner

Hello Steve,

Thank you for you quick answer. I have still done and often used the Basic Media tool. I decided to create a WinPe tool with your script to make a Universal Support to be able to restore on a different disk drive as I was never able to make this successfully with the explanation given in Acronis (drivers trouble).

Finally I was able to burn a DVD picking up the .ISO file and using another Image Burner. I am currently making a standalone backup and it seems to work well. Next step will be to restore with the same system. I am not sure, not to make myself a mistake, in answering the message of the USB Key letter address, so I will try tomorrow again and see what happens.

To Answer your questions, I use Windows 10 pro 64 bit system version 1703 15063.608. I had uprgraded ATI to version 2018 from version 2016. I am not able to give you the windows ADK version installed as currently, I don't have access to my working system. But it should be up to date as I downloaded and installed late in October 2017.

BR.

Daniel.

Creating USB key didn't work, (unable to format (?)), so I used Rufus to install the .ISO file on the key. Up to now backup with CD and restore with USB key worked well. 

So I'll investigate about other errors, but for now I considere the problem as solved.

Legend
mvp

Daniel, thanks for the update/feedback. 

Please see KB 58108: Acronis products: using USB sticks with more than 32GB capacity to consider when choosing USB sticks.

The other known issue in this area is that USB sticks should be fully formatted if you find they will not boot when created, doing a quick format is not sufficient, plus they must be FAT32 formatted.

Forum Hero
mvp

Hello Daniel,

FYI, I"m using a 128GB drive with many .wim files that I've customized as a multiboot tool for my own purposes as a swiss-army approach to IT support functionality, so it is possible to use a larger drive.  That said though, please heed Steve's advise and try a smaller drive to test with first to rule it out.  Bootability of larger drives may be dependent of your hardware's bios firmware capabilities (if your bios doesn't even have a UEFI option - I doubt it would ever work).

Secondly... how many times have you formatted/built that drive with Rufus or another media builder? That could be your issue as it changes the partition table and we can't see it in Windows.  I used to praise Rufus for this task, but have grown apart from it due to inconsistencies with bootability since it seems to generally want to build all drives as GPT NTFS now.  Instead, myself, and other MVP's will often recommended to fully format your USB drive first (not a quick format) with diskpart (diskpart /clean) or a 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard Free.  That will ensure that any modified partitions (including the hidden ones) are wiped out so the next go-a-round when you use Acronis media builder or the MVP media builder has a completely blank slate to work with no behind the scenes linux paritioning or whatever it is Rufus uses to work its magic during the build process.

Third - there is a known bug in the ADK prior to Windows 10 1607 which can cause the drive to not format or build correctly.  I would recommend that you use the latest Windows 10 ADK (if you're not) which will help with bad USB builds since it already includes the fix. We do provide and use a copy of the fixed version of the file for all builds now, but only as of the MVP mediabuilder 12.1 - if you're using an older version, get that one.  For reference here is the thread where user Jan54 found the issue and identified a link with the fix

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-home-forum-older-ver…

-------------------------------

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/12712e69-feb6-…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem lies with the MakeWinPEMedia.cmd

After the script partitions and reformats the flash drive, the disk appears offline for about 10 seconds (can be verified if you have Explorer open). This for some reason messes up XCOPY in the way the command is written.

SOLUTION:

Open MakeWinPEMedia.cmd using notepad ( notepad "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\MakeWinPEMedia.cmd" )

REPLACE:
xcopy /herky "%WORKINGDIR%\%TEMPL%" "%DEST%\" >NUL

WITH
xcopy /herky "%WORKINGDIR%\%TEMPL%\*.*" "%DEST%\*.*" >NUL

notice the \*.* at two places, thats what somehow makes XCOPY wait for the disk to be ready and then copies the files.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Hi all,

Rookie here.  I have a Windows 7 system with ATI 2018 and Universal Restore installed.  I have gone through the instructions and installed WAIK and the supplement to it.  I downloaded the latest MVP_ATIPEBuilder files. 

I RMB and run as Administrator the MVP_ATIPEBuilder.exe.  It goes for a bit and then gives me a screen that says it can't find the kitsroot.  Press any key and program will exit.

I am running exe from a subfolder where I extracted it.  It appears to me, without knowing anything further about it, that the program can't find the WAIK??  Do I need to run this from a main folder under C:\??

Anyone run into this?

Thanks,

Lynden

Forum Hero
mvp

Lose the waik and get ADK. Adk for Windows 8.1 or 10 run fine on Windows 7. Ms doesn't support waik anymore.

sorry for the short post but typing from a phone.

In reply to by Bobbo_3C0X1

Beginner

Thanks for the reply Bobbo_3C0x1.  So..... just to be clear, I should load the ADK and then just re-run the MVP_ATIPEBuilder?

Forum Hero
mvp

Hi Lyn,

Yes, that would be my recommendation.  I would remove WAIK through control panel and install ADK (Windows 10  1709) from Microsoft instead:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessme…

Once installed, reboot for good measure and then try running the tool again.  I think you'll be fine after that.  Keep in mind that with Windows 10 ADK, you'll be building Windows 10 WinPE so if you need to add any additional drivers (you really shouldn't need to, but if you add custom drivers, use Windows 10 ones to match the WinPE).

We include the latest Intel RAID controller drivers, but other than that, the latest Win10 ADK has enough generic drivers that things should work just fine as is.

In reply to by Bobbo_3C0X1

Beginner

Thank you Bobbo_3C0X1 !

That was all I needed.  Created a CD and USB, both of which work great.

Awesome, awesome tool.

Thanks!

Forum Hero
mvp

Glad to hear it!  

Forum Star
Comments: 1244
mvp

A new version of MVP_ATIPEBuilder is available. Anyone wishing to try it can download it at http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MVP_ATIPEBuilder/Advanced/MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v142.zip

The new version provides the option to automatically build from the WinRE found in the recovery partition of the system being used for the build. It is not necessary to have a Microsoft WAIK or ADK installed. There are less features included with the WinRE option. This new version still includes the option to build from an installed ADK for those needing the features not available when using the WinRE option.

EDIT:

Version changed from 14.0 to 14.2 on 12/16/2017. Onlt minor changes.

Forum Hero
mvp

Works pretty good.  I see a couple of cosmetic-only issues that I emailed you.  Once we get it ironed out, we can post to the MVP google drive.  Encourage others to give it a test too.