Skip to main content

New Build: 15560 - Installation Problem

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 20

Saw a notification that a new version was available to for ATI 2018.  I am currently on Build 15470.  If you click on "A new version is available." it appears to download.  Then it shows a box with an "Update" button.  Clicking this begins the update but returns a message that the update failed.  Clicking on "View details" provides the following: 

Product: Acronis True Image 2018
Build: 15560
Date: 12/9/2021
Time: 11:05:55 AM
More info: Acronis Knowledge Base

Error details: Installation has failed. Fatal error during installation

If you still need assistance, contact our Support team.

Anyone else run into this?  I am wondering is my ATI is now corrupt since the install failed.  And if so, should I fall back to a disk image before attempting the upgrade?  Clearly Acronis saw some kind of need to make this new build available for the 2018 version, so how can I successfully upgrade?  

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26700

Tony, thanks for posting this topic, I wasn't aware of any new build being released for ATI 2018 until I read this!

I have done a successful update of one of my own systems to build 15560 so can only assume that your download was corrupted in some way!

You can download the new build installer directly from the Acronis Product Updates web page where links are provided to all recent versions, or else sign in to your Acronis Account and download it from there where there should also be a checksum value provided to verify that the download is correct.

Note: you may need to do a Repair Install with the new build if your current install has been damaged by the failed update.  Just launching the new build installer will show you what options are available.

Forum Member

Hi Steve.  Thanks for the information.  As it turns out I got myself into deeper trouble.  I wanted to recover my system to a state before the failed update of ATI.  First I did a recovery of just the O/S partition, which worked fine.  But I eventually decided to do a full disk recovery.  This hung up on recovering the MBR.  I eventually tried to exit and wound up shutting down the laptop.  I have since tried this numerous times - sometimes letting it sit long enough to finally error out.   

I have been using different versions of ATI for many, many years and have done plenty of file and image restores and have never seen this issue.  ATI, for the most part, has been a solid product for me.

My laptop is an Aspire E5-576G-5762 circa 2018, with two Samsung EVO SSD's.  I am trying to restore a system image from the secondary SSD to the O/S boot SSD.  Again this worked fine when I only choose the O/S partition.  But after trying it with the whole disk - now I am stuck with a MBR recovery issue.  The odd thing is that the O/S boot SSD is setup for GPT.  In looking at the properties of the disk image within ATI it shows "GUID Partition Table (GPT)".  In such a case should ATI be trying to recover a MBR?  Note that at this point I am using an ATI recovery CD to attempt the recoveries as I can no longer boot to Windows.  So, even if my current version of ATI got corrupted by the failed update, using a recovery CD created in the past, along with a validated image copy, ought to work just fine.

Recovering from a disk image via ATI is usually quite easy (and fast with SSDs), but this has me stuck with a laptop I can't seem to get working with a validated image copy.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  

Legend

My laptop is an Aspire E5-576G-5762 circa 2018, with two Samsung EVO SSD's.  I am trying to restore a system image from the secondary SSD to the O/S boot SSD.  Again this worked fine when I only choose the O/S partition.  But after trying it with the whole disk - now I am stuck with a MBR recovery issue.  The odd thing is that the O/S boot SSD is setup for GPT.  In looking at the properties of the disk image within ATI it shows "GUID Partition Table (GPT)".  In such a case should ATI be trying to recover a MBR?  Note that at this point I am using an ATI recovery CD to attempt the recoveries as I can no longer boot to Windows.  So, even if my current version of ATI got corrupted by the failed update, using a recovery CD created in the past, along with a validated image copy, ought to work just fine.

Tony, when I look at some previous recoveries that I have done for my own NVMe GPT disk in my laptop, there is no option shown for selecting the MBR but when ATI is doing the actual restore then it shows it doing that restore for the MBR.

All the above images were captured in early 2020 when I upgraded the SSD from 128GB to a 500GB SSD and were captured to document the process.

The one potentially key difference is that the restore was done from an external USB drive rather than from a second internal drive?

What error messages are shown in the Log within the rescue media when you attempt the recovery?  Note: the log is volatile and can only be viewed or captured while booted from the media - you can right-click on the log entry and take the option to Save it to a local location.

Forum Member

Hi Steve.  Thanks for your help and all the screen shots to compare.  Sounds like recovering the MBR is normal.  Anyway when looking at your screenshots - what I see is similar but here are some differences:

I am recovering disk 2 and have the same 4 partitions, but mine are in a different order. C:, Track 0, Recovery, and EFI.

My interface is Serial ATA for both my Samsung SSD's and my destination drive is already allocated. 

My summary screen also has five steps, but three of yours are "Copying and merging partitions" while mine are "Recovering partition sector by sector".

Once I being the process it appears to be working normally until it gets stuck on recovering the MBR.  If I let it continue long enough it will end unsuccessful (I suspect it simply times out). 

If I go into the Alt F10 boot menu, drop into the command prompt, and try to repair the MBR manually, this is what happens:

"bootrec.exe /fixmbr" - appears to work.

"bootrwc.exe /fix boot" - fails with access denied.  

I attached the log, but I think it just shows that the steps seemed to have preceded normally until it got stuck on recovering the MBR.  After it gives up, it shows a window talking about a problem report (my wording might not be correct), but when I click on the links it does not seem to open anything up.  Once I close that window I am left at the command prompt, so ATI has terminated.  I had to go back into ATI though the command prompt in order to view the log I attached.

Attachment Size
594572-302027.jpg 1.42 MB
Legend

Tony, the only significant issue that I see from the log is that it says "Recovering partition sector by sector" which would indicate that there was a file system issue if you didn't choose to use this particular recovery method.

The suggestions at this point would be:

Try another backup image if you have one.

Try just restoring Track 0 on its own, which should include the MBR.

Boot from a Windows install or rescue disc (DVD or other media) and doing a Startup repair from that media assuming that all the other partitions were restored correctly as suggested by the log.

Forum Member

Hi Steve.  I had already tried another backup with the same results as well as multiple startup repairs, although I got to the startup repair option via an ALT F10 boot menu.  As you suggested I tried restoring track 0 by itself.  It failed with the following:

20211211 124246

I suppose the possibility exists that this is a hardware issue, but I am doubtful as I did not have any related issues until I ran the full disk restore.  Recall that the prior partition restore worked properly (with the same image) but I decided to do a full disk restore.

I was surprised that Acronis recently made an update to ATI 2018.  With them releasing a new version typically yearly, I would not have expected an update to ATI 2018 unless it was relatively important.  Perhaps a recent Windows 10 upgrade broke something within ATI 2018.  I believe I am on the most recent released version of Windows 10.  When I tried to upgrade to the new release of ATI 2018, it failed.  Thus my ATI 2018, both installed on the hard drive as well as my rescue media, are not at the newest version.  Perhaps this explains the failure of the full disk recovery.  I am not suggesting this is definitely the case, just it is an interesting possibility.

I do appreciate all the assistance you have provided.  I may wind up doing a fresh install of Windows 10.

Legend

Tony, can you confirm that your OS drive is actually the second drive here?

It may be worth trying to do a fresh install of Windows to confirm that the drive is good here?

Forum Member

Hi Steve, a fresh install of Windows 10 indeed went without a hitch.  Here you can see the O/S drive is the second one (i.e. disk 1 as opposed to disk 0).  Hard to be certain, but at this point I am thinking ATI 2018 did indeed clobber me when doing a full drive recovery. 

image 591

Legend

Tony, I guess the good news is that Windows has installed just fine and the drive is fine too!

I would be tempted to make a new Disk backup (to an external drive) of the clean OS, then retry doing a restore of the latest disk backup from before this issue to see if it will complete successfully?

I would also use a second backup program such as Macrium Reflect 8 Free to make a second backup of the fresh OS install along with creating the MR rescue media for good measure, to give an alternative option should it be needed!

Forum Member

Hi Steve.  I have decided against trying another full disk restore of the Acronis images.  I am a bit concerned it could wreck havoc again and don't really want to waste more time going down that path. 

I wound up installing Macrium Reflect 8 (full 30 day trial).  Wow - I like it!  In the past I had already been thinking I should eventually move away from Acronis.  I feel like their product has become bloated and it sounds like they are moving to an annual service fee only pricing model. 

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions and information!  You seem to be a very valuable resource to this forum.

Legend

Tony, glad you are moving on here.  Keep an eye out for any further Macrium discount offers if you want to continue with their Home version after your 30 day trial ends - they were offering 50% discount for Black Friday which was better than I got in their Easter sale earlier this year! (I have a 4 PC license for MR 8 Home installed alongside ATI).

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up Steve!  I noticed they are running a 20% sale right now.  While right now I am using their full version as part of the free trial, I get the impression their free version is quite a capable product.  I wonder if I even need the paid version.  

Legend

Tony, one key difference between the MR free and paid version is the ability to do Incremental backups.  The free version only allows for Full and/or Differential backups - Incremental is only available in Home / paid versions.  I have been using MR 7 Free for many years when dealing with PC's from friends, neighbours, family etc with no backup software installed.  I took the decision to get MR 8 Home after the disappointment of Acronis going subscription only - something I dislike very much!  I have perpetual licenses for Acronis going back to version 9.0 through to 2021 which will now be my final one unless the subscription policy is changed.

Forum Member

Steve - I appreciate the heads up on lack of incrementals for MR free.  I agree it is a bummer about Acrois's change in licensing.  In looking over my Acronis account I have a perpetual license going back as far as Acronis True Image 8.0.  And it is possible I was a user before then as I don’t recall when they started storing license information in online user accounts.