Skip to main content

OneDrive issed fixed in lastest build - Query re existing tasks

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 56

I note and welcome the OneDrive issue is fixed in the latest build 12510.

Will this add the OneDrive exception to existing tasks which previously had a problem or will it be necessary to create new tasks to have the exception automatically applied?

Thanks for your time.

B R

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24486

B R, if this fix is like any previous ones, then it will only apply to new tasks not to existing ones.

Forum Member

OK thanks for that.

Silly question perhaps but just to be sure...

If I clone a task in order to edit it would that have the new exceptions or just be as it says "a clone"?

Thanks

Legend

BR, any cloned task would reflect the exclusions set in the original task, only new tasks will show the new OneDrive exclusion by default, though personally am not sure that this is a fix in reality as many users have a legitimate requirement to want to backup OneDrive!

Forum Member

Thank you very much for clarifying that for me Steve. I'll create new tasks.

Yes I agree about the "fix" not being ideal. I read somewhere that this was a temporary workaround until a more permanant solution can be found.

Legend

BR, not so much a workaround as 'forget about backing up OneDrive to the Cloud if you have Files on Demand enabled'...!

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6061

Hello Everyone,

I've clarified the question with the product team - OneDrive will be excluded by default in all new and existing plans, because it wasn't put in the list of Exclusions that is configured in the plan, it's somehow excluded on the higher level. 

Thank you, 

Legend

Ekaterina, how does this help when users such as myself have backups of OneDrive where I do not want ATI to exclude the very folders that I am backing up?

Legend

Just tested my OneDrive backup to the Acronis Cloud and this is now broken!  Note: I do not have Files on Demand enabled for OneDrive and this backup was working correctly.

Now, despite there being recent changes to my OneDrive folder contents I am seeing the following in the backup log.

22/06/2018 16:22:02 :214  Operation OneDrive started manually.
22/06/2018 16:22:04 :124  Operation: Backup
22/06/2018 16:22:04 :124  Backup type: file level
22/06/2018 16:22:04 :129  Operation: Consolidation
22/06/2018 16:22:04 :130  Priority changed to Low.
22/06/2018 16:22:53 :075  Error 0x0
22/06/2018 16:22:56 :142  Error 0xb00ec: No changes found in the backup source.
22/06/2018 16:22:59 :128  Operation has succeeded.

Start: 22/06/2018 16:22:02
Stop: 22/06/2018 16:22:59
Total Time: 00:00:57

And in the Activity page for this backup task, it now shows that there are zero bytes of data to recover for this backup!  So what happened to the 168MB of data that was shown for my previous backups?

2018-06-22 16_30_06 OneDrive Cloud.png

Sorry but this is not a fix for the OneDrive reparse point issue but a permanent exclusion on backing up OneDrive data!

Legend

This update has also broken any local backups of OneDrive folder contents which again have been working fine.  My local OneDrive backup shows the following log entries:

22/06/2018 16:36:52 :550  Backup reserve copy attributes: format tib; need_reserve_backup_copy false;
22/06/2018 16:36:52 :552  Operation OneDrive started manually.
22/06/2018 16:36:54 :710  Backup reserve copy attributes: format tib; need_reserve_backup_copy false;
22/06/2018 16:36:54 :734  Operation: Backup
22/06/2018 16:36:54 :737  Priority changed to Low.
22/06/2018 16:37:06 :788  Create Backup Archive From: E:\OneDrive\
To file: OneDrive_full_b1_s1_v1.tib Compression: Normal Exclude: System files; Files matching mask Match criterion: $Recycle.Bin; *.tib; *.tib.metadata; *.~; *.tmp
22/06/2018 16:37:06 :914   Writing full version to file: OneDrive_full_b1_s1_v1.tib
22/06/2018 16:37:06 :958  The following backups have been successfully created: H:\Dell Studio\OneDrive_full_b1_s1_v1.tib
22/06/2018 16:37:10 :688  Operation has succeeded.

Start: 22/06/2018 16:36:52
Stop: 22/06/2018 16:37:10
Total Time: 00:00:18

The Activity page for this task tells the true story...

2018-06-22 16_41_52 OneDrive local.png

The Full backup .tib file for my OneDrive task is 1KB in size for a backup with source size of 285MB.

Legend

Support Case # 03390635  submitted yesterday evening but no email notification received for this which suggests that not only the Dashboard emails are broken but other messages that should be generated from the Acronis servers!

Beginner
Comments: 3

I agree that this is NOT a fix for me.  One of the main reasons I have Acronis is so I can backup my important files, most of which are in my OneDrive folder.

With this "fix" my backups are now pretty much worthless.

I do understand the issue for those with File on Demand enabled but for those of use that do not this is not a fix but a breakage of the program!  It should really check to see if the File on Demand is enabled or not (if that is possible of course).

Legend

Paul, please open a Support Case for this with Acronis and reference this forum topic along with my Support Case # 03390635 so that we get this message communicated clearly about this unacceptable 'fix'!

Beginner

Steve,

Unfortunately I did that prior to your response here so did not include your support case number.

Support did call back which was both nice and surprising.  However, it was a fairly typical initial support response.  The support tech did not seem fully aware of the issue.  He first started telling me that the files weren't being backed up because they weren't actually on my computer.  That only stopped once I "reminded" him that I made it clear in my report that I was not using File on Demand and so all files were on my computer.  I had to tell him that the weren't being backed up because they had excluded the OneDrive folder themselves as was stated in the release notes.

At that point he pretty much just said he would pass it on to the developers.  So, we'll see I guess....

Legend

Paul, please note your Support Case # in this topic so that others can refer to both as needed.

Beginner

Oops. Forgot to add that in.  My support case # is 03391744.

Legend

Latest reply on my Support Case # 03390635 for this issue as follows:

Hello Steve, 

Thank you for your response.

My name is Udyam, Priority Support Engineer from Acronis Customer Central. 

Steve, I completely agree with you that the latest update has not resolved the One Drive Files on Demand issue, rather it has completely blocked the saving of all One Drive data for all users, regardless of whether Files on Demand is being used or not.

Unfortunately, we have been receiving a lot of complains from other users as well regarding the same issue. 

We have already forwarded the feedback to our product development team and hopefully this issue will be resolved/taken care of, on the next upgrade of Acronis True Image. 

Since there is not much we can do about this issue, please let me know if we can go ahead and archive this case for now. Feel free to get back to us if you have any further questions. 

Look forward to your response. 

Forum Star
Comments: 4150

From what I can workout, OneDrive for business is implemented differently to the “ordinary” OneDrive. You can have both on the one PC. I never had the issue with business version, so I wonder if the “workaround” prevents those files from being backed-up. If I get a chance I will test and report back.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 1

I too have had the same issue with OneDrive files not backing up when they are NOT set to "On Demand". I only found out when I had a single file I needed to restore. When I went to retrieve it I had the unhappy surprise that the files had not been backed up for some time.

I get that when Microsoft makes a change to its OS, there are ripple effects that can cause many developers head aches.But what I don't get and what really bothers me with Acronis is they made NO EFFORT to inform me. Not within the app with a clear error message. Not by email to me as a long time TrueImage user letting me know my data was no longer protected. And what even bothers me more is I continue to get upgrade notices where there's no clear mention of the crippling loss of functionality that for most users renders the software not only useless, but if a user doesn't know about this issue, Acronis could be putting many private users and small business at a major risk of massive data loss.

I was told that TrueImage 2019 would correct this issue. But looking at the "What's New" page of the site no mention is made of a fix. In fact, looking at the home page for TrueImage 2019, the very first bullet point states "Complete Backup & Fast Recovery - Quickly restore your files or entire system at any time". That's an out and out lie! Is it not?!? 

I am sure other backup software vendors are struggling with the same issue. But I will be hard pressed to come back to TrueImage given the callous disregard Acronis has had for its long time customer base. I've communicated with support numerous times this concern and while they have been diligent in following up, no apology has been offered and in any of the sales related emails I've received I have not seen them change their tact whatsoever.

Acronis, you've really lost my trust. I hope you'll do better in the future with your other users.

Beginner
Comments: 1

So ... over a year has passed and we are still waiting for a solution ?

Legend

Albert, welcome to these public User Forums.

There will be no more fixes for older versions of ATI such as 2018 or 2019 as they are now focusing on their latest ATI 2020 application version, which is where any new updates will be provided.

OneDrive local files can be backed up in ATI 2020 to local destinations or the Acronis Cloud, but not when Files on Demand is used for OneDrive due to the reparse points that it uses.