Skip to main content

Question re MVP ATI Builder

Beginner
Comments: 13

Does this file support wireless connections to a NAS? I created a Simple Rescue disk and it apparently doesn't. Is there anything special I need to know about the MVP Advanced ATI Builder or is it pretty self explanatory?

Thanks,

Bob

Legend
Comments: 10040
mvp

Bob, please take a read through the lengthy topic: MVP Tool - CUSTOM ATI WINPE BUILDER which includes discussion on the subject of wireless support with the ATI builder tool.

Unfortunately, there is not a quick & easy way of getting this to work primarily because Microsoft do not seem to want to include this support within WinRE / WinPE, so it will be a case of injecting appropriate device drivers and ensuring that you do lots of testing to get this to work.

Regular Poster
Comments: 262

Bob, there are comments from a not particularly knowledgeable user.  I've built recovery media with wireless support for 3 home computers.  If I can do it, you can do it. 

The process of building the recovery medium with wireless support is actually pretty straightforward - the utility walks you through the process pretty well.  But there is a bunch of up-front prep work you need to do.

First and foremost, read the topic Steve pointed to and read  !!!!README!!!!_WiFi_Support!!!.txt that comes with the builder package.  But be aware that the builder went through several iterations as this stuff was being written.  Some of the early warnings may make it sound like you may not be able to get wireless to work.  Ignore those.  You can; it works!  The process will even automatically inject the drivers you need ... if you tell it to, and if you take some precautions.

One thing you need to do is get a matching ADK and WinRE.  Instructions for doing this are in the !!!!README!!!!_WiFi_Support!!!.txt file.  Once you get that pair of matching WinRE / ADK I advise keeping them.  You don't need to upgrade them every time you upgrade Windows.

You need to get your wireless profiles and give them to the Builder.  Again,  !!!!README!!!!_WiFi_Support!!!.txt gives details.  But note: if you are on a computer that that has both WiFi and Ethernet, make sure your wireless adapter is enabled or you won't be able to extract the wireless profiles.

Run the Builder on the computer you are building the recovery medium for.  That way it will copy the needed drivers from your running environment.  Tell the Builder to inject drivers (even if you don't have any special drivers to give the Builder).

Sometimes the Builder cannot create a bootable USB device and you won't find that out until the last part of the build.  I advise formatting your USB medium with RMPrepUSB before starting the build.  You may not need that step but you won't be frustrated at at the end of the process.

One final recommendation (that may be contrary to what MVPs recommend).  If you actually need wireless support for recovery you probably have some "remote" drive that you need for recovery.  You can tell the Builder to include mapping that will be performed during initialization of your recovery medium.  But your recovery system will wait 60 seconds for the network to stabilize before doing the mapping.  I prefer to put the mapping commands
(such as net use Z: \\MyBookLive\Public /user:X Y)
in a command file in the Builder's Extra>x64 (or Extra>x32) folder.  That Extra folder becomes a system folder in your recovery system; you can execute the command at your leisure once your recovery system is up and running.  Oh, and if you are mapping a public share (as I did above) you have to include a dummy userid and password; they will be ignored.