Skip to main content

Recovery problems

Thread needs solution
FM
Beginner
Comments: 13

Hi 

I am running 2018 TI and I made a image of my 500Gb M.2 SSD to a WD 1TB Green grade drive successfully. I since had Win 10 system issues and needed to recover the system back onto the SSD Drive. I booted to Acronis software and attempted to recover from the WD1TB and all went well and each procedure went according to the steps, and I have done this many time so I know all steps were covered from my end. I think?

When the recovery started to recover from WD1TB to SSD 500GB about 200GB needed to be recovered to restore my system it started and it took about 1 min to restore and it came back successfully restored but it is impossible transfer nearly 200GB in 1 min, and it will not boot because nothing is on the SSD Drive. I validated the image when it was created and checked the size a few times and all is good with the image. I need some sort of help since I have run out of ideas. Never had this problem with Version  14-15-16-17

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1413

Foizu Meah...Is your USB boot media created from ATI 2018 or an earlier version?  Is the boot media WinRE or Linux?  Is your computer a laptop or desktop.  If your computer is a desktop and your boot media is Linux, then the boot media may not have the necessary drivers for the m.2 SSD.

If your boot media is Linux, I would recommend creating a WinRE version using ATI 2018 and use that for the restore.  If your boot media is WinRE, you should try to validate the backup .tib file using rescue media.  If it validates OK, then try another restore.  If all of this fails, you could try a restore from an earlier version of ATI (2017).

Don't give up...

FtrPilot

In reply to by FtrPilot

FM
Beginner

HI

Before we start with my problem I have been trying to contact support but Acronis web site says I do not have a registered serial number but when I enter it in the support which application it comes back already registered???
and I cannot go any further at all, no email, no chat line, just this circle of them asking for my serial number before they will help...very frustrating and I have been with them for 12 years. If any of the Acronis team view these forums can you please make contact as it would be appreciated.

OK...My boot media was ATI 2018 on WinRE created with a USB because the disc creation kept on failing with a error "Device is busy". SO I created a USB boot which worked fine with all options I normally use to backup-recover, but the procedure failed so I am really worried about this version!

I am very much hoping that I can recover my image file because it had taken 2 days to build this system with all the software installs and verification of various software installs. I also made a clone to a full 3.5" drive which worked when I booted from it. I will try and clone to my SDD but I am afraid it will corrupt my 3.5" clone.

I will try and restore from a earlier version as you reccomend. 

Also just on cloning and image creation..the question of Disc signature option Do I tick or not?? I have read some reports on this but I would like your opinion please, my backups are very simple system backups Win 10 and apps.

Thank you for your assistance

Foizu 

FM
Beginner

Also forgot to ask about other versions to use to backup or recover. 

Can I use Version 2014-2015-2016-2017 repair Disc/USB to backup-recover-restore to a 2018 file? 

I am in the process of cloning my 3.5HD to M.2 SSD and it looks good so keep my fingers crossed until the fat lady sings.

Thank you

Forum Star
Comments: 4040

Older builds of ATI do not support M.2 drives. The M.2 drive issue aside, recovery media from ATI 2016 or 2017 should be OK when doing a recovery. See Knowledge base - 1689: Backup archive compatibility across different product versions.

Ian

FM
Beginner

Just did a clone from my 1TB WD HD to my new SSD formatted 500 WD M.2 drive and it still will not boot. I used Acronis 2016 boot rescue medium USB and it all looked good till I attempted to boot from SSD but it says no system was found..What is going on??? I am thinking about trying Macrium to see if they have the same problems. Could it be my new Motherboard Asus X299 A bios??  I thought it would get easier with all the new technology in ref to cloning data /systems/ect. 

Foizu

FM
Beginner

Finally got to clone from my 1TB HD to SSD M.2 500GB. Removed all my PC parts and reinstalled everything apart from CPU. But still could not do an image restore. Will create another one and try again. Still cant see my 2nd M.2 drive on my motherboard? I can see it in the bios but not in windows, cant find an enable slot in the bios or anything which mentions activating it on the Asus X299-A Prime motherboard, strange because it has been formatted. If anybody knows the trick to mount it please inform me.

Tested the clones and they seem to work fine but wish the image files were working I can only assume I am doing something wrong but be dammed to know what?

Just out of curiosity what is the red dot on the source drive when cloning to a destination drive never noticed it before?

Foizu

Forum Star
Comments: 1413

Foizu...I am not a hardware expert. I am hopeful one of the other MVP can help as I believe you have a hardware issue.  I do have a couple of questions...

Will the 1TB HD boot your computer?

After completing the clone, did you remove the 1TB HD before trying to boot your computer?  When you perform a clone, you have to remove one of the drives.  Windows cannot handle 2 drives with the same IDs.

Have you looked at the 1TB HD using windows explorer? Does the M.2 SSD look the same in windows explorer?

In reply to by FtrPilot

FM
Beginner

Hi 

I always remove the drives when completing the clone and boot from the clone to make sure it works, Cloning is more stable than image restore for some reason for me, and I have been doing it for years. As for the M.2 500WD SSD I have no idea why it will not show on the Window explorer, I have tried everything, it must be in the bios or something.

The Asus X299-A PRIME has 2 M.2 SSD slots on its motherboard , #1 horizontal and #2 Vertical 
the horizontal #1 works perfect and is the main slot for your OS drive sys and I assume the 2nd M.2 slot is for other uses like fast data access due to its data speed. I am just doing a image creation and testing a few things. 

The point of buying the Asus X299 was it has 2 "M.2 "slots and these was to clone OS drive slot 1 to slot 2 very quickly without hooking up drives. Still looking for solution!!

Cheers

Forum Star
Comments: 1835

You say the second M.2 is formatted. Have you tried to assign that partition a drive letter in Windows Disk Management? If you didn't do that it won't show up in Windows Explorer. Can you see the second M.2 under Disk drives in Device Manager? If you don't see it in Device Manager, look in your motherboard user's guide for notes that say the second M.2 slot will be disabled if you enable a certain function. Feature rich motherboards often don't allow all the features to work at the same time. 

In addition to using the second M.2 as fast storage, you can use it for a RAID set with the first M.2.

FM
Beginner

Looked in all them places you listed with no links or solutions like I said previous it can be seen in Bios but not on Windows in any area app or windows tools which is very strange. If your wondering how I formatted the drive I took out the main M.2 OS drive and replaced it with the 2 M.2 drive then formatted and returned it to the 2 M.2 slot.

I am sure it is a simple fix otherwise why go to all the trouble of creating a second slot. 

AS for RAID I know very little on the setup of raid so I want to keep it very simple 2 drives =1 master 1 clone. if you know what I mean?

Cheers

Forum Star

My only other thought would relate to the type of M.2 drive you have in the second M.2 slot. The second slot on your motherboard only supports PCIe types of M.2 drives. Is it a SATA type M.2 drive? The first M.2 slot supports both PCIe and SATA type drives. This could explain your problem.

FM
Beginner

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  it could be!!!  I looked at that before and I purchased to Identical SSD WD Sticks to overcome compatibility but now I will look at the boards limitations. I might need to disable one of the PCIe slots to enable the M.2 slot. thanks for reminding me on this solution I completely forgot about it.

Thanks for your input its appreciated.

In reply to by Mustang

FM
Beginner

Looks like you were correct! My M.2 is a SATA only and not a SATA/PCIe always thought it was both for some reason. Anyway thanks for making me read the manual!! 

But I have got a dicky M.2 SSD drive regardless because I cannot clone or restore my Acronis files to it, unlike the other one which is great, the giveaway was it would not even read in the first slot mode which is the safe slot for SATA, so it goes back to seller first thing monday morning.

Cheers

Forum Star

I've used Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive they are PCIe and work great. I assume the current Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive will work just as well. 

In reply to by Mustang

FM
Beginner

Looking at them monday and let you know the outcome. 

Cheers

Forum Star

On one of my systems (on in signature) I have 2 250 gig Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSDs. On is in the slot on the main board the other is in a PCIe adapter card. No issues with either. The only thing is I have to be careful that when I restore the OS that I restore to the correct drive.

In reply to by IanL-S

FM
Beginner

I came across this thread and just wondered if you can comment on its views from the publisher please, As this was published in late 2016 would it still be relevant? and do I have to be aware of his concerns?  If anybody can comment please chip in for all to learn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibility issues for a PC device, particularly a storage drive, is a thing of the past. The PM961 was primarily created for use by laptop manufactures, whose systems can and will be very different. Your board has multiple NVMe SSDs listed as compatible, although that is simply a formality. It's like listing SATA drives as compatible, if a manufacture made a storage drive that had very specific compatibility requirements, then they must be intentionally trying to keep it from being generally used in PCs.

I've installed multiple models of NVMe SSDs in ASRock boards including Z77, Z97, X99, and Z170. I've never had any problem using a Samsung SM951 and 950 Pro, Intel 750 and 600p, and OCZ RD400 as an OS drive. As long as the board's UEFI supports NVMe SSDs, they can be used as OS disks.

The situation with NVMe SSDs, is they must have Windows installed in a certain way. They are not plug and play for OS drives as SATA SSDs are. Without going into the technical details, this is what you must do:

0. As always with Windows, only the target OS drive MUST be the ONLY drive connected (or at least connected to power) when Windows is installed. Ignore this at your own risk.

1. Your Windows installation media should be a USB flash drive. That's because you must select the correct entry in the boot order for the installation media, and a SATA optical drive may not provide that selection. The entry in the boot order to use MUST BE like this:

"UEFI: <USB flash drive name>", where <USB flash drive name> is however your USB flash drive appears in the boot order.

If you are trying to use a Win 10 disk, if you do not see an entry of "UEFI: <windows disk>", or whatever it is recognized as, using that other entry will cause the installation to fail, even if it completes the installation. After a restart, if it even works once, it will fail eventually. The "UEFI:" prefix causes Windows to use the EFI boot loader, which is essential for use with NVMe SSDs. Ignore this at your own risk.

2. You need to configure the CSM option in the UEFI/BIOS. The easiest way is, in the Boot screen,with CSM set to Enabled, open the CSM sub-options, and set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only. This insures the Intel EFI Option ROM will be used with an NVMe SSD, which is critical. Samsung claims the 950 Pro has its own built in Option ROM, which is no doubt true, but do we know if the PM961 does? No I don't, most people aren't even aware the 950 Pro has that Option ROM. I mention this mainly so others reading this that are aware of this don't think I'm an idiot. But the risk mentioning this is you'll then ignore configuring this CSM option. Did I ignore doing this with my two 950 Pros, that work perfect as the Windows 10 drive in my ASRock Z170 board, and DeskMini 110W PCs? No chance.

Before you ask where does ASRock have these instructions, I'll tell you they don't have them anywhere. But I'll then ask anyone that thinks that is wrong, where does Samsung, the manufacture of your SSD, have these instructions? Did Samsung provide these instructions for you? If not, why not? That is what I personally find frustrating and annoying.

3. Win 10 has an inbox NVMe driver, that for some reason does not work well for some users of NVMe SSDs. Since the PM961 is sold only as an OEM drive to PC manufactures, it is not supported by Samsung at all to those that buy it at the retail level. Meaning Samsung does not provide an NVMe driver for the SM961 to anyone besides the OEM manufactures. 

The SM961 uses a different SSD controller than the 950 Pro (the new Polaris model) so the 950 Pro driver may or may not work correctly with the SM961. So the NVMe driver used is one of the main problems owners of this SSD must deal with. The true retail version of the PM961, which will be the 960 EVO once it is released, may have its own driver. Using the Intel NVMe driver was a mistake, that will fail.

You might find this thread in another forum helpful with your SM961, for finding the correct NVMe driver, which I think is discussed in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1603995/samsung-sm961-nvme-thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like you have built a solid machine with 2 NVMe drives. I will upgrade to them when finances improve but at the moment I will use my 2 x WD SATA M.2 SSD 500Gb 

#1 for the system which is working at the moment. in SATA / PCIe slot. Cloned from my HD

#2 which is playing up or I am doing something wrong! even in the SATA/PCIe  slot it will not boot or clone! it just only shows up in the bios as a drive and that it!

I am assuming that WD M.2 SATA SSD drives are used for OS operations and not just fast storage???

I am looking at a Samsung 960 EVO SSD 1TB (MZ-V6E1T0BW) and was wondering if you or anybody thinks this would be good for my next step up?

Sorry for the long thread.

Cheers

Forum Star

M.2 NVMe drives are much faster than M.2 SSDs which are limited by the SATA bus; NVMe's use PCIe bus which is many times faster. The WD M.2 is SATA drive so not any faster than one attached to a SATA port (you loose one conventional SATA port for each M.2 SATA device - at least those installed directly on the motherboard; those using PCIe add-in card probably do not do this).

Ian

Forum Star

I took you at your word the second NVMe drive was formatted. I now have to question that. You can prove it as follows:

1. Disconnect all drives from the computer.

2. Put the second, non-working NVMe drive in the FIRST slot on the motherboard. We know a similar drive works in this slot.

3. Boot the the computer with a WinPE recovery disk. If you don't have a WinPE recovery disk, create one with TI.

4. When the recovery disk is booted, you will see an open command window behind the TI GUI. Click on it to bring it to the front.

5. Enter diskpart and wait for prompt to return.

6. Enter list disk. You should see one disk listed as disk 0. If you don't see any disks listed, it means the NVMe drive is bad.

7. If you do see disk 0 listed, enter list volume. You should see a list of volumes on the disk. If you don't see any volumes listed, it means the disk is not formatted.

Report back with your results. No matter what your results above, you won't be able to use both of those WD NVMe drives on your new motherboard. The second slot will not support one of those drives. The Samsung 960 EVO you mentioned is a PCIe drive and will work fine in the second slot of your new motherboard.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8379

Hello FM,

First, you should follow Mustangs instructions about using Diskpart from a WinPE drive as this will discover if your M.2 drive is functional or not.

Second, the ASUS Manual on this Prime X299 A board is not comprehensive when it comes to the M.2 features of the board.  Example, the manual does not explain which M.2 slot is PCIe only and which is both SATA and PCIe,  it only states that this is the case.  Stencils on the motherboard PCB may Indicate which is which.  I note that in the configuration pages of the manual in Section 3.2.2 Advanced Mode on page 3-21 under Boot from PCIe/PCI devices it states that this item is used to select the type of PCIe/PCI expansion devices you wish to launch.  Configuration options are Legacy only or UEFI driver first.  I love it when things are so clear!

This presumably would allow you to boot the M.2 slot supporting both SATA and PCIe drives if the Legacy only option were selected and you had an MBR Legacy installed OS disk.  So if your problem M.2 drive is an SATA device having it in the correct slot should do the trick as long as this boot option is set to UEFI driver first.

Given consideration of these facts in the manual I would suggest that since you have cloned an UEFI OS installation onto the SATA M.2 drive and that drive is in the SATA/PCIe  M.2 slot it might appear in the bios but might not be recognizable to Windows. as a valid boot device.  I would think however that the drive would show in Disk Management unless Windows has decided it is an incompatible device.

If you can prove that the drive is a working drive as Mustang suggests using Diskpart I would recommend that you clear the drive using Diskpart Clean command to rid the drive of the OS data.  At that point you should be able to use the drive as a storage device which is the best use of an M.2 SATA drive by the way.

I am providing a link that does a very good job of explaining the various M.2 drive models that should help you in making sense of this new technology.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189

In reply to by Enchantech

FM
Beginner

Very interesting and will take all you mentioned under advisement.

That was very helpful and thank you very much,

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi,

I am facing a problem  during restoration of my pc back up when i put the path of backup *.tib file an message occurs that "true image backup archive file is corrupted if the backup is an image ,you may try to recover data from it by the mounting the image and recovering intact data" I think so that the backup file is corrupt then i again got a new back up from another pc but the problem is still same. I try it with different bootable media 11.0, 13 and acronis 2016 . please tell me any solution

Legend
Comments: 23402

Javed, welcome to these public User Forums.

Please open a new topic for this problem in the correct forum for the version of ATI that was used to create the backup .tib file.

This forum topic is 3 years old and has been inactive since that time.

Backup files are only compatible with newer versions of ATI than the version that was used to create them.  You cannot use rescue media from an older version of ATI.