Skip to main content

Solved (at last) (in Australia at least): Not getting email report on backup tasks

Thread needs solution
Forum Hero
Comments: 5031

In my account I have set global settings for emails about backup tasks. However, they stopped coming about 2 days ago. Has anyone else noticed this happening. [This is not emails set up as part of backup task, where the email is initiated locally; these emails are initiated by Acronis server.]

Ian

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28595

Ian, I did a bunch of backups yesterday and got two email notification messages for each, one from the backup task email settings and the second from the Acronis server via the global settings, so this is still working for me.

Forum Hero

Checked my settings and they were OK. It could be a problem specific to the Au1 server.

Ian

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6973

Hello Ian,

Does the issue still persist? 

Forum Star
Comments: 1249

I'm also seeing this issue here in the US. I went to  the Dashboard and reselected the email option. I'll report back tomorrow whether or not it works properly.

Legend

Looks like this may be more global as I checked my Dashboard email settings after doing a backup and I am not receiving these either here in the UK.  This was working around 3-4 days ago but have realised that I have only been getting my own email notifications via Gmail, not from Acronis.

Beginner
Comments: 3

So it will stay this way you are saying? If so OK. Thanks.

Legend

Richard, not so, this was working fine until recently but has 'broken' for some reason, so needs to be fixed by the Acronis team responsible for this function of the Dashboard.  Ekaterina, please can you register that more users are reporting this issue.

Forum Hero

Hi Steve

Nice to know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Ian

Forum Moderator

Thank you, all! 

I've brought this discussion to the attention of our product team, will post back once there is any information. If everyone else is observing issues with the global notifications, please add your comment to the thread (first make sure the global notifications are configured, see https://kb.acronis.com/content/59265)

Beginner
Comments: 5

Latest build (11530) broke global notifications for me too (in Canada)

François

Forum Member
Comments: 42

I knew mine had stopped and only checked today. The last notification I received was on 14th May 02:00 UK time

Forum Hero

I reported the problem on 12 May, and it had been happening for some time - I am in Australia. I see I must have discovered in on 5 May as that is when I started this thread.

Ian

In reply to by Francois Gendron

Forum Star

It doesn't appear to be build related. My desktop was at 10640 and had the same issue.

Forum Hero

I agree that it does not appear to be build related.

Ian

Forum Moderator

Hello Everyone

The issue is 100% reproducible on my system with Outlook mailbox too - development is already looking into it. May I ask you to add, which mail clients are you using? 

Thank you in advance! 

Forum Moderator

> I agree that it does not appear to be build related.

Yes, shouldn't depend on the build version, as the dashboard notifications are sent from our cloud servers. But still can vary from one mail client to another, so we need to understand which clients are affected. 

Legend

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my main mail client but also the default mail client on my Android phone  - both no longer get the server notifications. 

Forum Hero

For my beta testing account (one PC) I use Microsoft Outlook, for the rest I use Thunderbird (all emails are automatically forwarded to another account which I access via Outlook. The primary email servers are telstra.com.au (IMAP - hosted by Microsoft - servers imap.telstra.com and smtp.telstra.com). The secondary server is Gmail (IMAP). I check emails using Thunderbird and Outlook on my PC and the Apple Mail app on my iPad and iPhone.

Not convinced that the problem resides with the email server/clients I am using. As I understand it Acronis reports the outcome of a backup to the relevant Acronis server and that sever then generates the email. I suspect the emails are not being generated rather than being lost on my email server - if they are rejected by the email server then Acronis should be getting bounce-backs. (I have checked my spam folders and they are not ending up in spam.) 

Since the problem is build indendent, and is not related to the latest build of Windows 10 (I had it on systems running the old build of Windows 10), the problem would seem to be with the Acronis servers which generate the email messages.

Ian

Legend

I am also not getting notifications for my computers that are still running ATI 2017, so again, this does not look to be a user computer or application issue, but one with the Acronis servers used for gathering data on and sending out notification emails about backup task activity.

Forum Star

I also use Thunderbird on the laptop and desktop. Gmail on the my Android phone.

Forum Member

I use Outlook on my desktop and whatever is the default on my Samsung phone and tablet. My email provider is Virgin Media and the emails are not appearing on their website. Interestingly, and I don't know if it is related, when I posted in this thread I ticked notify me when new comments are posted and I am not getting anything from here either

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi Folks,

Just to say,

I'm getting the same problem. I run backups on three separate systems and the last notification I can find was the 18/5/2018. None since then.

Email clients? Various - Outlook, iPad email, Windows phone email.

Dave

Legend

Ekaterina, this Dashboard email notification issue does look to impact wider than just that one area - I have also lost any notifications of private messages since this issue manifested.  The only emails that I am getting are those that I have configured per task on the Notifications page where I am using the smtp.gmail.com server.

Forum Member

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Beginner
Comments: 2

I just wasted an hour in an online chat with Acronis and they think it is my computer/firewall/antivirus that is causing THEIR server not to send email notifications.  Great support there...  I even disabled my firewall and AV and ran a backup as the tech requested, that the Acronis Cloud shows was successful, but it does not send an email notification.  He then wants me to send system reports and install pcap programs to analyze my network traffic.  Uh, how about you get the Acronis engineers analyzing the traffic, or lack thereof, of the Acronis email servers!!  Useless tech support, and he refused to escalate my ticket.  Nice...

And the best part is the tech said he would email me a follow-up about my concerns, and guess what...  I never received that email either.  Who the heck is managing email at Acronis?!?!

Legend

Thomas, I suspect that the Acronis Customer support rep that you dealt with does not understand the difference between these different types of email notifications and was focussed on those emails which are generated by the ATI application from your own computer and not those which are meant to be sent from the Acronis Dashboard servers.

My local email notifications continue to work fine but I have not received any Dashboard notifications for backups since this issue started over a month ago now!

Beginner
Comments: 1

30 DAY STATUS UPDATE?

MAY 12th: Global email notifications set from within the Acronis website Dashboard, appear to have stopped working.

MAY 25th: Acronis DEV Team already looking into issue.

JUNE 8th: Last comment confirming issue remains unresolved.

JULY 9th: 30 days since last comment, does anyone have any resolutions or status updates?

Beginner
Comments: 2

Yeah, Acronis doesn’t seem to care about this issue.  My fix was to setup email notifications within ATI using my own email account.  The Global/Cloud email notifications are still not working at all.  Just setup a new/separate GMail account just for your own Acronis notifications (since you have to use lower authentication than Google recommends, but Acronis needs).  Do not use your regular email account for that reason.

And on a side note.  Do not upgrade to the latest version of Acronis 2018 unless you want your OneDrive files to be EXCLUDED from your backup jobs.  Stay at version 11530 until Acronis “resolves” their issue with OneDrive files.  I’m not at all impressed with Acronis lately...

Forum Moderator

Hello Everyone,

the fix hasn't been uploaded to our cloud servers yet. While we're waiting for the fix, you can set up email notifications for the individual jobs as outlined in https://kb.acronis.com/content/59265. If you want to get informed about the availability of the fix, I'd recommend raising a support ticket. 

Thank you, 

Forum Hero

Wow! Just got a notification so, it appears to be fixed at last (at least if you use Acronis server Au1).

Ian

Legend

Not seen any web notifications this side of the Atlantic Ocean as of yet, nothing from the backups I did yesterday late evening.

Forum Member

Still seeing nothing in UK

Forum Star

No emails here in the US.

Forum Hero

Interesting, I have got them on both my beta testing and every-day account. Looks like the applied the server to the Au1 server first. I have two task running now and will report if I get emails.

Steve, at first I was a little confused by your reference to the Atlantic ... I have not relocated from Australia.

Still having server-side issue with ATI 2019 beta when doing cloud backups.

Ian

Legend

Ian, it does sound like changes may be being rolled out across the different geographies, starting in Australia.  We only really have a choice of the Atlantic or the North Sea when referencing where the UK is in relation to the former colonies - didn't mean to cause any confusion!

Forum Hero

In an earlier post Ekaterina said they would progressively roll out the fix.

It is still working got serval emails for different PCs since my last report.

Ian

Forum Star

This morning I received the emails from the Acronis servers telling me my backups were successful. I'm in the US.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Since yesterday, Aconis servers backups notifications is back to normal in Canada also...

Forum Member

But not in the UK it would seem.

Legend

Just received two email notifications from the UK Acronis servers for backups done this afternoon along with the normal emails received via Gmail!

Forum Hero

I am receiving regular emails since my initial report, both for my everyday account and my beta testing account.

Ian

Legend

Same here now, lots of notifications for my backup tasks.

Forum Member

And at last got one in respect of my overnight backup in UK

Forum Member

Well that didn't last all that long. No notifications for the past 2 days

Legend

John, I have still been getting both types of notifications here in the UK as far as I am aware, and had some come in overnight.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Forum Member

Nothing again this morning so I checked the configuration. I went to notifications and sent a test message.

I got a message back saying "Failed to send the test email. Check the specified email settings".

Nothing in my settings has ever changed so I don't know what is going on

Legend

What settings are you using here John? 

For my own tasks I use smtp.gmail.com with port 587 TLS if possible selections which is working fine. 

See KB 59265: Acronis True Image 2017: how to set up email notifications about backup status and the linked pages from this for Gmail etc.

See also KB 46840: Acronis True Image: Troubleshooting E-mail Notification Issues for other suggestions.

If you are using your UK ISP mail servers, it may be possible that they have dropped support for less secure SSL apps (which ATI is considered to be!) so you shouldn't be using SSL port 465.