Skip to main content

TI2018 Backup error: Error 0x101f6: Error while checking the metadata integrity of points in time (PITs) in the archive.

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 31

Daily Backups had been completed successfully until a few days ago.  Now, although a backup file is created, the job ends unsuccessfully due to the Error 0x101f6.

The source and target drives have been error checked and are clean.  VSS Shadows have been deleted and the backup rerun, with the same outcome.  I'm at a loss.

Any ideas or suggestions will be most welcome.

Attachment Size
Error 0x101f6.pdf 79.09 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 23402

The error message during validation is telling you that when the backup image file (JANPC-C_inc_b35_s7_v1.tib) was read back and checksums generated for the stored blocks of data, that the checksum calculated did not match the value stored within the file itself.

The first suggestion here, if you have another PC with ATI 2018 or later installed, is to take the backup drive to that PC and run validation again to see if the same error is given or not?

The potential causes for this type of error are bad or failing memory, bad or failing USB cables, or if overclocking is being used.

Checksums are stored at regular points in time in the backup image file for each block of data stored, the stored checksum is calculated from the data being written by ATI to that file, validation simply checks that what ATI asked to be written is actually the same as what is read back from the file.

Forum Member

Thanks very much for that information, Steve.  I will certainly take your suggestion later today.  When you said "bad or failing memory" I assume you were referring to the RAM in the subject laptop.  I believe I still have RAM testing software somewhere so I'll make sure to check that as well as the revalidation suggestion.

Regards...

Forum Member

Steve, I'm having some issues getting the backup sets validated on my other machine.  Perhaps I'm going about it incorrectly.  Using File Explorer, I find the backup set I want to validate on the external drive, right-click it, then click Validate in the Acronis entry in the drop-down window.  Acronis 2019 starts and sometimes a backup set on the external volume shows up in my list of backups, BUT only the most recent.  If I do get to Validate it, it very briefly appears to be doing something, then gives me the red x which shows 'Backup is corrupted'.  Okay, but I want to check earlier backup sets which supposedly completed successfully to make sure they are good, but no dice.  No matter which backup set I select I always get the same one.  Any thoughts, and/or am I going about this all wrong?

Also, the only memory test program I have is very old and it is on a bootable floppy - no floppy drives any longer!  Is there a program you can recommend?

Thanks...

Legend

See webpage: 4 Best Free Memory Test Programs - for some recommendations.

Also webpage: MemTest86 v8.4 Free Memory Testing Tool Review

Forum Member

Appreciate the info on memory test programs, addressing that now.

Any thoughts on the validation situation I mentioned?

Legend

What are you expecting to see from running validation here?

If the task that created the backup files is still shown in the GUI, then there won't be any obvious indication of the older chains being validated.

If the task that created the backup files wasn't shown in the GUI, then the first validation of any of the files for that backup should cause an entry to show in the Other section of the Backup panel with an option to Reconfigure the task if wanted.

The Recovery panel for the task shown in the GUI should show date / time restore points that correspond with all the files / chains that it 'knows' about.

Forum Member

I was following your advice from your first response in this thread, 2nd paragraph.  I took the external drive off the creating laptop and moved it to my desktop.  Opened TI2019 and only my own desktop backups showed in the left pane.  In order to 'see' the backups on the external, I had to open file explorer and select the most recent (problem) backup set on the external.  When it finally appeared in the left pane, I selected Validate, which failed (Backup corrupted).  So I now want to try validating the previous backup set to see if it is any good.

Even when I select the previous set, TI only shows me the one I already know is bad.  My objective is to validate, or otherwise determine if any of the previous sets are good.

Legend

Ok, thanks for clarifying the scenario here!  I would suggest moving or copying the set of version chain files to another folder, then right-clicking on the newest file in that chain and taking the Validate option from Acronis menu item.

Forum Member

Thanks, Steve, and sorry for my delayed response.  I was tied up all day yesterday.  I'll give your suggestion a try this morning.

FYI, I now believe the problem(s) were directly related to the most recent Microsoft updates that were applied to the laptop on or about the 23rd.  I uninstalled the updates from that day, deleted the corrupted backup set, and then performed a full backup.  It was successful and verified.  Thanks again for all your advice.