Skip to main content

Unable to back up a locked volume encrypted with Bitlocker. Unlock the volume or turn off Bitlocker, and then try again

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

Recently I have started to get this error for a backup of my C drive - this backup has been in place an working for a long time. 

"Unable to back up a locked volume encrypted with Bitlocker. Unlock the volume or turn off Bitlocker, and then try again"

The drive is the OS drive so is definitely unlocked. It seems to have started since I upgraded to the latest build of Acronis. At the same time it is also complaining a lot about locked files on other backup now where it never used to.

Windows 10 v1803

Acronis True Image 2018 build 12510

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2911

Have you by chance recently updated Windows 10 with the October 2019 update? This could explain this new behaviour as (if I understand you correctly) it previously worked with this build of ATI 2018.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 17547

Paul, I would suggest running the following command in case your BitLocker is somehow got into a 'pending activation' state.

manage-bde c: -off

You should also check the BitLocker Control Panel to ensure this is showing that all your drives are not encrypted.

2018-11-22 BitLocker status.png

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi Paul or Users with this same Problem

I had this same problem and was able to fix it using the post by Steve.

I believe I know what caused this because I've seen this before and it happened again this time it happened on a clean install of Win10 Enterprise 1903.

After doing the clean install and bypassing OOBE using Ctl+Shift+F3 I installed our base programs then shutdown using sysprep.

I booted to Acronis 2019 to create the drive Image and was told it was encryped with bitlocker. 

I hadn't even opened bitlocker but I remembered I previously setup the system with secure boot.

After turning that off and doing the manage-bde c: -off 

I was able to take a system Image.